Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help me with a life crisis guys?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭Ted Johnson

corklily05 wrote: »
    OP This is a no-brainer. You're highly qualified, with brains to burn and the world at your feet. We in ireland suffer a lot from whats called catholic guilt which basically means you need to be there at you parents side whenever they need you

Ah the old Catholic guilt meme. Can anyone explain what this particular brand of guilt is? How does it differ from protestant guilt, or Jewish guilt?

Op as I get older I have learned that money and jobs aren't important. It's your family that matters. I'd say the job in the UK would be the right option.

For example, my brother lives in Asia. Gets home a couple of times a year. Sure he's doing well but is it worth being so cut off from your friends and family, your home?

A weekly Skype call in no ways makes up for a pint with your old man or your mother's Sunday roast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

OP, you currently live in the UK and come home three times a year. During the proposed year in Australia, you would also visit three times. In short, your parents will see just as much of you as they normally would anyway!

Plus, your parents are relatively young. They can reasonably expect to be around for another 20-30 years.

If I were you, I'd take the job. I think you'll regret it later if you don't. If your parents aren't tech-literate, have someone set up Skype, FaceTime, or whatever for them so that they can see you and talk to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭oil painting

Hi Op,

Maybe your mother is upset when you leave because she can sense how unhappy you are. If she can understand you are moving for standard of living she might be OK. Also if your only back 3 times a year, and that goes down to 1 or 2 times a year for a year there isn't really much difference with the geography. Sounds like you have gained valuable social skills at meeting new people and building a life for yourself. You may think something better is at home and its not. OZ sounds like its for you and is the tonic you need for your well being in life more so than money, family, job, it sounds like your soul is crying out for a sense of personal freedom, from the demands of the job and the obligations at home. Oz will also be a nicer pace of life and plenty of opportunity to meet someone and have a relationship if deep down these are the things that really matter to you let them be your guide and the rest will fall into place, good luck, sounds exciting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Maybe your mother is upset when you leave because she can sense how unhappy you are.

This. OP my mam cried after leaving my brother in France (they helped him move over for his degree) because of the place he was staying was an absolute dive and he was so down about it all at the time.

Honestly though it seems like going to Sydney is the best plan at the moment. You hate where you are in terms of work etc so maybe a change of scenery could help.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭oil painting

Ah the old Catholic guilt meme. Can anyone explain what this particular brand of guilt is? How does it differ from protestant guilt, or Jewish guilt?

Op as I get older I have learned that money and jobs aren't important. It's your family that matters. I'd say the job in the UK would be the right option.

For example, my brother lives in Asia. Gets home a couple of times a year. Sure he's doing well but is it worth being so cut off from your friends and family, your home?

A weekly Skype call in no ways makes up for a pint with your old man or your mother's Sunday roast.

Irish catholic guilt, in this way is referencing the guilt where one feels tied to the apron strings or a feeling of obligation to prioritize parents lives over your own. Other religions or countries im thinking of France of the top of ,y head encourage job and financially success where ever it takes you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Thread is month old, decision made.

Advertisement