Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do tall people die younger ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Yikes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Wtf.
    This is like asking if blue paint will give you herpes.

OP, are you Andy From Sligo or cena in disguise?

JupiterKid wrote: »
    There is a condition known as Marfan Syndrome that affects men in particular that are very thin, tall (over 6’ 4” usually) and have joint and connective tissue problems that usually lead to serious heart problems and an early death by 50 if not addressed.

I was paranoid that I might have it about 15 years back. I’m only 6’ 1”. Anywho, my doc had me checked out and I don’t.

Thought immediately of this when I saw the thread. Thankfully I’m a very mid-sized average sort of female. But anybody affected can have a full medical evaluation and gave major risks remedied.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Bill Russell is still alive, 85 next week

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭marley1

Beasty wrote: »
    I was 6'2" (Ok 6 foot 1 and three quarter inches) when I was 12. Never managed to get that extra quarter an inch though. Reckon I'm 6 foot 1 and two-thirds 46 years later, and that loss of height is more to do with all they have taken out of a couple of spinal discs back in the 1990s than anything else

either that or you have stopped wearing high heals or crepes :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The more you eat, the quicker you die. Larger folk need more food.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

JupiterKid wrote: »
    There is a condition known as Marfan Syndrome that affects men in particular that are very thin, tall (over 6’ 4” usually) and have joint and connective tissue problems that usually lead to serious heart problems and an early death by 50 if not addressed.

I was paranoid that I might have it about 15 years back. I’m only 6’ 1”. Anywho, my doc had me checked out and I don’t.

Mr Bubo was tested/scanned for Marfans a few years ago too. He's very tall, (6'5") with big hands and massive feet - but thankfully he doesn't have it either.

Surprised you were tested for it at your height, do you have huge hands and feet?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Defaulter1831

Bigger they are, the harder they fall.

If I had a euro for every time a small man said that to me! We hit harder too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Don't women live longer than men? A possible explanation is that due to the sexual dimorphism between men and women results in the heart of men needing to pump harder and faster to circulate blood to a larger overall mass and it being a finite organ it 'runs out' quicker resulting in men dying earlier. Same principle for tall people i.e. a tall woman is more likely to die younger than a short woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Bigger they are, the harder they fall.

That's horseshit. The bigger they are, the harder they hit.

I wish I was a little bit taller,
    I wish I was a baller.
    I wish I had a girl who looked good,
    I would call her.
    I wish I had a rabbit in a hat with a bat,
    and a 'six-four Impala.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I know a few people about 6'6" tall.are they likely to die younger statistically speaking?is it good to be small, good goods in small parcels and all that ?

Yes they die young. How many really tall old people do you see??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Less chance of heart disease and diabetes, but higher chance of blood clots, and atrial fibrillation,

I think you'll find the biggest risk of premature death for the very tall is decapitation by helicopter. You never see that happen to a midget.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

stimpson wrote: »
    A friend of mine is 6’11. All the men in his family die in their 60’s.

So from a sample of one of my friends, I’d say that proves it.

It’s not proven till he’s dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's a sweet spot for humans in terms of height and weight. In general more weight == earlier death, therefore taller people die younger, as do men.

But as you reduce the weight, the returns start to diminish. Eventually you reach a point where further reductions in weight/height, cause you to die earlier again.

This is why statistically "tall" women live longer than average-height women - because they're below this sweet spot. While men who would be considered "small" statistically live longer than men of average height.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

People in older generations weren't tall, though. I'm in my mid-40s, 6'5", and when I was in school, there were very few people close to my height. Nowadays, lads in secondary school are very tall.

My first summer job was working in a factory, and I'd say the average height of the aging work there was 5'6"/5'7". In one part of the machine I worked on, the 'ceiling' was shoulder-height for me. Not very comfortable.

Getting back to the original question though, the grandfather I inherited my height from died in his early 60s, although with current medical advances, he probably would have lived longer nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

De Valera was pretty tall wasn't he live into his 90's, probably the exception though.

De Valera was pretty tall wasn't he live into his 90's, probably the exception though.

Dev was 6' 3'' and died at 92.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

jimgoose wrote: »
    Dev was 6' 3'' and died at 92.

6'3 isn't exceptionally tall.

Not these days, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The average height of an Irishman born around the same time as DeValera was 5'6"

So for his time he was exceptionally tall, a full 9 inches over the norm.

Of course, DeV was only half-Irish. And was born in the US. So there's that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

I haven't died yet, I rather prefer my silver fox look.
    Although some people I know die when younger.

Nothing wrong with a few sprinkle's of silver here and there....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I haven't travelled widely , but been around Europe a bit.
    The Dutch are the tallest race I have come across, and the Portuguese the shortest.
    Looking up the average lifespan of both, the figure comes in at 81.5 years for the Dutch, and 81.1 years for the Portuguese.
    So no appreciable difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭gluppers

You rarely see tall old people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

gluppers wrote: »

A few like Micheal O'Muircheartaigh, over 6ft at 88 which is very tall given the era he was born and current age. Most tend to have the stoop, condenscing of vertebra and curving of the spine.

I did the Operation Transformation Metabolic age this morning. 6ft 2.7in.. very specific. Body Fat 10.7%, weight 14st. I'm 43 and metabolic age 28. To be taken with a pinch of salt :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

Medieval men were around 5ft 4in in average but very squat and strong, particularly knights. They trained from 14-21 to become one and carried up to 7stone in chain mail, weaponry etc. One of the reasons the Normans conquered the dry ground in south east Leinster, east Munster, Meath etc but naturally struggled to fight in the boglands of the west, midlands etc.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

They're generally more likely to get cancer so I imagine they live less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

lbc2019 wrote: »
    I wish I was a little bit taller... 5' 10" maybe

You should seek professional help with these suicidal thoughts.

I'm going to live forever at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

gluppers wrote: »

Because older generations tended not to be particularly tall to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

im 6ft 5 and have been since i was 14-15 , when i was 17 i met my grandmothers brother (granduncle i suppose) who was over from england and he towered over me . the man was in his mid 80s at that stage and he was minimum 6 inches taller than me so close to 7ft . he lived to 95 as did my grandmother who was all of 5ft 4 so i dont know if that just good genes or anything to do with the height :D

Advertisement