Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do tall people die younger ?

Options
  • 06-02-2019 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

I know a few people about 6'6" tall.are they likely to die younger statistically speaking?is it good to be small, good goods in small parcels and all that ?

Comments

I'm small and I'm very good goods.

Young people die taller.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Less chance of heart disease and diabetes, but higher chance of blood clots, and atrial fibrillation,

Although dont people who are classed as Giants, like 7foot+ die from heart failure cause of strain?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Being very small is grand most of the time. Tiresome though having to stand on chairs all the time to reach stuff and having to nab tall people to reach things for me in supermarkets. Sometimes I stubbornly refuse but only end up pushing what I am trying to get further out of reach. It will all be worth it if I live longer I suppose :)

My granny always said that Holy God only lets you grow until you're perfect and some of us don't very long.

Maybe that's it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I suppose if a tall person falls over the hit to the brain would be far more damaging. Shortasses like me would more likely survive a drunken fall on the footpath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Taller people are closer to God.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

A friend of mine is 6’11. All the men in his family die in their 60’s.

So from a sample of one of my friends, I’d say that proves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

You shrink as you age.

The spine compresses as discs dehydrate.

• Advertisement

I suppose if a tall person falls over the hit to the brain would be far more damaging. Shortasses like me would more likely survive a drunken fall on the footpath.
    Bigger they are, the harder they fall.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ah feck that I'm five eight and lighter than ever at 59kg in my forties. I don't want to endure a another 50 years on this planet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

They’re more likely to bump their heads off low objects.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Gigantism I think is what killed Andre the Giant, if they have that it will shorten lives but I think theres a surgery now to stop that - they do have knee, joints issues at that size as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Gigantism I think is what killed Andre the Giant, if they have that it will shorten lives but I think theres a surgery now to stop that - they do have knee, joints issues at that size as well
    I wonder if booze had anything to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Tall people live longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Higher chance of back problems

I wonder if booze had anything to do with it.
    Probably didn't help but he was getting progressively worse over the last few yrs of his life.

His body was failing him. It got to the stage where he couldn't stand up for any prolonged period of time.

If he'd had the pituitary gland surgery in his late teens he would have lived longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Smaller species of dogs live longer than the larger species. I think.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Hold on whatever happened to survival of the fittest strongest etc?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

There is a condition known as Marfan Syndrome that affects men in particular that are very thin, tall (over 6’ 4” usually) and have joint and connective tissue problems that usually lead to serious heart problems and an early death by 50 if not addressed.

I was paranoid that I might have it about 15 years back. I’m only 6’ 1”. Anywho, my doc had me checked out and I don’t.

Roadtoad wrote: »
    Smaller species of dogs live longer than the larger species. I think.....
    Yeah a lot of terriers, especially mongrels,can live into late teens and even early 20s.

Big lads tend to go a lot earler. Giants like the Great Dane and Irish Wolfhound only live 7 to 10 years on average.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You shrink as you age.

The spine compresses as discs dehydrate.

Yep - look at Prince Philip - started off at 6'2", and will probably be nearer 2'6" if he keeps going another 20 years. Think it's a bit extreme though chopping his legs off just to get a few more years....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

I wish I was a little bit taller... 5' 10" maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

Tall people bang their heads more. That can't help.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

JupiterKid wrote: »

I was paranoid that I might have it about 15 years back. I’m only 6’ 1”. Anywho, my doc had me checked out and I don’t.
    I was 6'2" (Ok 6 foot 1 and three quarter inches) when I was 12. Never managed to get that extra quarter an inch though. Reckon I'm 6 foot 1 and two-thirds 46 years later, and that loss of height is more to do with all they have taken out of a couple of spinal discs back in the 1990s than anything else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Tall people more likely to have back problems
    - you would think it would be short people with the chip on their shoulder...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

I think it's a bit of a tall story tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

https://youtu.be/ryDOy3AosBw

Reminds me of this :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Defaulter1831

lbc2019 wrote: »
    I wish I was a little bit taller... 5' 10" maybe

You are what you are :) 6ft 3 here but back trouble from too much lifting farming and on buildings.

Advertisement