Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

~~**~ Our Travel Bargain Alerts **~~*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

athtrasna wrote: »
    Travel bargain alerts, like the recent bargain flights to Argentina, have always been a feature of the Bargain Alert forum :confused:

I didn't know that the Bargain Alerts forum even existed until I saw this post. Would I be right in I presuming that I am not alone in that? So I think that a travel specific bargains thread is a great idea. Wouldn't be a fan of splitting it into different categories (UK, USA etc etc) as it makes the forum too cluttered imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Yeah, I agree that separate threads would be overkill, it wasn't a great suggestion. Other forums have their own bargain alert threads - cycling & PC building for example. As far as I know they are pretty strict on them - you can post the bargain on the thread, but if anyone wants to launch into a "that's not a bargain, you're wasting money, try this instead" sort of discussion they have to take it off to another thread. This stops them turning into 300 page behemoths which are 80% waffle and 20% fact.

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I think this could be worth a go, even on a trial basis to see if it adds anything to the forum overall.

There are times I'll come across a good deal on flights or accommodation, but it wouldn't necessarily lend itself to a standalone thread over in BA. It'd be nice to have a space hereabouts to share such information and benefit from the keen eye of other folks with a passion for travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

zagmund wrote: »
    Yeah, I agree that separate threads would be overkill, it wasn't a great suggestion. Other forums have their own bargain alert threads - cycling & PC building for example. As far as I know they are pretty strict on them - you can post the bargain on the thread, but if anyone wants to launch into a "that's not a bargain, you're wasting money, try this instead" sort of discussion they have to take it off to another thread. This stops them turning into 300 page behemoths which are 80% waffle and 20% fact.

I take your point about the waffle vs fact aspect. But plane tickets and hotel rooms generally cost a lot more than kettles and cheap cycling gloves from LIDL. Perhaps a little bit of wiggle room for discussion could be allowed, given the often large amounts of money involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Okay just a tester just to see; you know; what or where this will end up :)

Today over in BargainAlerts Dublin->HongKong approx 400Euros Nov 2015.

Linking it in here but the discussion on said BA remains in the BA forum itself.

Any thoughts on this?
    Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement

http://www.airasia.com/ot/en/book-with-us/asean-pass.page

Air Asia.. Most big routes are one credit. Others are three. There's a two month option as well with 20 credits.

I'm already out here but that's my summer sorted.. :D Probably a week in each destination. Could be useful to some people currently planning!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Secret Flying is an absolute goldmine if you're flexible on dates/destinations. London-Rio for £289 has been available for a few days now. Lots of error fares so don't book anything else until you have confirmation, but the prices are ridiculous so worth a punt if you see something.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

Does anybody know websites other than "Secret Flying" or "2015holidays" which post good bargains on flights and/or hotels?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

http://www.airasia.com/ot/en/book-with-us/asean-pass.page

Air Asia.. Most big routes are one credit. Others are three. There's a two month option as well with 20 credits.

I'm already out here but that's my summer sorted.. :D Probably a week in each destination. Could be useful to some people currently planning!

If you are planning in advance, booking direct is cheaper. There are loads of cheap airlines in asia, why restrict yourself to air asia? And force flights you might not need. there are a lot of restrictions with that promotion. I spent ages working out a route before I dumped the idea and booked with a few different airlines...

I tell you what i found too, the airline that nobody dare say the name, is often cheaper, gives you free baggage allowance, free food, entertainment, a proper ticket, good customer service and food on the plane. Malaysian Airlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Are we posting travel bargain alerts here now??? Or should it be in the thread asking if we should start a bargain alert thread #confuzed

I found 12% off ebookers hotels on http://2015holidays.com with code WELOVE12 expires on sunday night

50 euro off a package holiday on ebookers with code LOVETRAVEL
    3 night minimum, need to book a hotel and flight or car. expires sunday night. it looks like you get £50 off on ebookers.com so if you have a credit card, you might be better off booking on the uk site coz £50 is 70 euro coz of the terrible exchange rate, well might as well make it work for us when we can

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

househero wrote: »

I tell you what i found too, the airline that nobody dare say the name, is often cheaper, gives you free baggage allowance, free food, entertainment, a proper ticket, good customer service and food on the plane. Malaysian Airlines.

Not in my experience. Rude staff, burnt/raw food, broken in flight entertainment systems, broken lights... Truly awful. Flew about ten flights with them but never again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Flew Malaysian around 8 times in the summer. Was very impressed with them. As much drink as I wanted. Very polite staff (except on in KUL which I got an apology + free miles for).

If you are planning in advance, booking direct is cheaper. There are loads of cheap airlines in asia, why restrict yourself to air asia? And force flights you might not need. there are a lot of restrictions with that promotion. I spent ages working out a route before I dumped the idea and booked with a few different airlines...

Well it's expensive and awkward for me to get anywhere from Hanoi and I'm happy to come back through Ho Chi Minh so it's perfect..

From Hanoi, the cheapest flight to Bangkok this June one way is $77. Singapore and Malaysia around $160 one way. To get to Bali and back would be at least $200 and that's me being limited due to those cheapest days.

For $160 and a couple of $40 flights within Indo, and $50 from HCM to Hanoi afterwards, I can get KL, Singapore, Bali, Sumatra, Borneo, Bangkok and maybe even Yangon or Cebu.

If you're starting in Bangkok or KL, maybe your way would be better but for me, the ticket is worth it if I only used it twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Here's my contribution - Swiss have recently launched direct DUB-GVA flights and they are currently only €66 return in the middle of the Summer. Flights start on 26 June and are on Mon/Wed/Fri/Sun. They call this fare something like "Swiss Light" and it's seat only, so you don't get any luggage allowance, but this just means that they are the same basis as EI/FR and other seat-only carriers.

z

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

For those that use AirBnB - they have a new invite scheme where you can each get a €23 voucher for each person who signs up - and €69 if they host. So €92 in total per person you refer. Pretty cool offer.

The site is: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/invite <mod snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I'd be all for having travel bargain alerts in the travel forum rather than the main ba forum

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Taken from Bargain Alerts thread, buy one get one free on Lonely Planet guides, on Lonely Planet website, ends today

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057529267

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Need to take a trip with the mrs in 2 weeks - i'm very late in booking but wondering if I can get a package deal? It's also the weekend after valentines so probably a popular one. Looking for 2-3 nights in a city - I dont mind where but it has to be certain dates. Any tips for sites that are good for finding deals like this?

Sorry not in Ireland, I was thinking something like spain, italy, prague etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

have you tried the likes of laterooms.com or lastminutedeals - although these may be room only , you would have to book flight seperate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭SimpleDimples

Skyscanner.com is good for flights.
    Booking.com is good for accommodation.
    Prague is a great place for a city break if you haven't been and relatively cheap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

+1 on skyscanner.

When you get a cheap flight, then you just need to get accommodation.
    Theres often cheap flights to Cologne, Dusseldorf, Frankfurt or Brussels at the weekend, and because those cities are setup for trade fairs and business travellers (or EU diplomats) theres often an oversupply of accommodation at the weekend meaning good hotels for relatively cheap.

You also dont need to stay at the nearest main town to the airport, i.e. Brussels is the gateway to a heap of lovely towns like Antwerp, Ghent or Leuven (Louvaine) .
    Cologne is near the Rhine / Moselle valleys, Frankfurt is near the roman town of Mainz and also then the Rhine valley up to Bonn and Cologne.
    Actually, Frankfurt Hahn (Ryanair hub) is in a really lovely area with Cochem being the biggest pretty town , but if you were to get a deal and hire a car then you have the whole Moselle valley area there to explore and stay in a cheapo b+b or apartment.

If you were to find something in Prague then go for it, but with all the stags and whatnot the price of flights is likely not so cheap, and accommodation at weekends is also not bargain basement prices .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Zascar wrote:
    Need to take a trip with the mrs in 2 weeks - i'm very late in booking but wondering if I can get a package deal? It's also the weekend after valentines so probably a popular one. Looking for 2-3 nights in a city - I dont mind where but it has to be certain dates. Any tips for sites that are good for finding deals like this?

Prague is beautiful this time of year. Maybe a little cold but less crowded. Have a look at Ryanair for flights. Booking.com for hotels. Although I would recommend the Charles hotel it's right beside Charles Bridge. Nice hotel and reasonable price. Public transport is simple from the airport and very cheap. Just get a connection to Mala Strana. Prague 1 is where you'd want to be staying if you go.

Thanks guys, google flights is excellent, way better than Skyscanner. I just got a great deal on flights to Prague - €142 each return. Thanks for the recommendation, can't wait now.

Now for the hotel. I actually have a voucher for a booking site - there are three hotels to choose from - they all look nice but just wondering location wise what would be the best bet?

Mamaison, Pentahotel or Park Inn - any recommendations?

Zascar wrote:
    Now for the hotel. I actually have a voucher for a booking site - there are three hotels to choose from - they all look nice but just wondering location wise what would be the best bet?

The closer to Mala Strana or Wenceles ( think I spelt it right) Square the better.

Zascar wrote:
    Thanks guys, google flights is excellent, way better than Skyscanner. I just got a great deal on flights to Prague - €142 each return. Thanks for the recommendation, can't wait now.

What dates where you looking at?

17th to 21st.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Zascar wrote: »
    17th to 21st.

Prague is a great city, good call.

Dunno if you're set on staying in a hotel but there's a really nice looking apartment for your dates less than 10 minutes walk from Wenceslas Square for €227 on booking.com (Residence Vocelova).

• Advertisement

Zascar wrote:
    I just booked this one:

Have a great time.

Advertisement