Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,121 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

It has 8 plugs, but can currently charge 5 cars since the HPCs apparently only let one car go at a time

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

I used the Rapid charger in Ballinalack today for the first time

Arrived with 12%, left with 60, took 20 mins

I got a max speed of 78kw and a fairly consistent speed of 66kw for most of the charge and then over 50kw above 50% soc

As far as I could tell from the app I was using no one had used it in the 1hr 45 mins it took me to get there

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The HPCs do allow multiple cars at once, but can be a little temperamental. Best achieved when all drivers are all present.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

eCars are very happy with the role they are playing, and the progress they've made in getting us to 1,000,000 EV's by 2030

Wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭innrain

My only take from the podcast is that we may see ecars prices increase. I was actually questioning this considering the rise in energy prices

The rest is: hubs == 2 chargers which we knew, multiples cars == two or as said above if the stars align maybe more, upgrading infrastructure == replacing broken.

The title of the podcast probably refers to the market in other countries or they count PHEVs as electric cars but then there is no relevance in the context of hubs. Otherwise a great piece. It is nice to hear about EVs in the public space :D

• Advertisement

He also said that at the majority of their sites, there are multiple plugs available should 1 plug fail.....

So when you're on your way down the country, and the CCS plug is out of order, just plug into the AC for a few hours to get you back on your way....

they have what? 10 sites whether there's more than 1 CCS/CHAdeMO plug....? In the whole country! Majority indeed.

edit: Whats the count now on multi plug sites? 10? Am I missing any? Blanchardstown on the way...

Mayfield, Kilcullen, Kells, Athlone, Galway Plaza, Portlaoise Plaza, Ballacolla, Carrick-on-shannon, Mullingar, Ballinalack

Also, does it seem odd that there are 150+50kW sites in both Mullingar & Ballinalack? only 18km apart from each other!! I know that's the sort of penetration we'll need and want in the future, but now, when sites are so scarce!!! Surely Longford or Kinnegad would have been a better location for one of these Tier 3 sites!!!

Post edited by AndyBoBandy on

Here we go, just made a little map of the eCars sites where there is at least 2 CCS/CHAdeMO plugs at the particular location.

So if you do arrive at an eCars site, looking for a fast charge, and the unit is either broken or busy... hope it's one of the 'hubs' below with more than 1 plug.

(its fairly shocking when you look at it on a map!!)

You've forgot Dublin port. 2x50 kW.

F**k

only makes the map look worse for everyone else..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

That is diabolical.

Wife is thinking of changing her diesel for electric. Not a hope in the world it can be anything other than a model S. The network is pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Not the Plaid I hope, some serious out of the factory issues with the new model

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I wouldn't think so. The regular model S will be perfect for her.

Heres a map showing the non eCars sites with at least 2 CCS plugs per site (I'm not sure how many AppleGreen's have the twin chargers, but I know Birdhill has them).

12 sites (lets call Tesla & Applegreen at Birdhill 1 site), but crucially, look at the spread compared to eCars. (still not great for the NW though).

eCars sites: 28 CCS Plugs & 24 CHAdeMO plugs

non eCars sites: 54 CCS plugs & 2 CHAdeMO plugs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Quite a few up here,not only back to front,but on a raised plinth full of wet bushes,nobody trims and a big pole supporting a tiny sign, the pole prevents you opening the drivers door! New technology,same old people.

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

What's the count on non eCars sites where anyone can us CCS? Fair play to tesla and how they roll out, but their infrastructure means nothing to me in its current locked down state.

Is NI blank because you were only looking at the Republic, or are there actually 0 non ESB DC chargers up North?

Still pretty grim looking in the northern half of the country. Even a single HPC site around Longford or somewhere would fill in a lot of the gap for most new EVs

I only highlighted sites in that map where there are more than 1 DC unit. The eCars guy said on the radio this morning that at the majority of the eCars sites, if 1 plug is not working, you can simply use the other plug at the same site to charge (so unless he's speficially talking about Model S/X owners with the CCS upgrade & a CHAdeMO adaptor, I think he's talking bullsh1t). If he means 'simply' using an AC plug if a DC plug is broken, then I'd love some of what he's smoking...

oh and his solution to arriving at a charger thats not being used? Check what time the current charging session started at to get an idea of how long more that particular charger will be occupied.... so essentially it's not eCars fault if you arrive at a charger thats busy. Its the users fault for not planning to arrive at the site when the current charging session hits roughly the 45 minute mark.

Anytime I ever hear any of these guys talking, it reaffirms my belief that they are utterly clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭markpb

I wouldn't mind what they say so much, that's just PR so they're always going to put eCars and ESB in a good light. If they were constructively engaging with groups like IEVOA, giving roadmaps and actual plans and explaining why things are as crap as we can see, that would convince me that they're trying.

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Plan to setup more hubs. 42 "hubs" in various stages of planning or construction.  "The project will run until 2023."

Not sure when this was updated (https://www.esb.ie/ecars/our-network/network-upgrades) but:

Further hub locations planned include:

• Oranmore, Co Galway
    • Lahey, Co Donegal
    • Rochestown, Co Cork
    • Frankfield, Co Cork
    • Blanchardstown Centre, Co Dublin
    • Ballysimon, Co Limerick

Rochestown, Frankfield and Ballysimon are news to my ears. Oranmore and Lahey have been "planned" for a long time now. Great news for Cork, though Rochestown is an easy win rather than being a useful location for a hub. PITA if you need to divert there if Frankfield is in heavy use. Ballysimon isn't the worst location, but yet again it's eCars just updating what they have, rather than implementing well thought out locations at motorway service stations.

Easygo has 2 chargers @ Kinnegad Plaza which would make the map even better. Can you change to color of the SuC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭zg3409

In relation to NI

There is one non esb charger here https://www.plugshare.com/location/318776

and another one at Ikea Belfast (no CCS)

Easygo have a few 22kW at Ikea but very little other non esb, and many esb are broken, many for years.

Wow, so it really is bad up there. As much as free charging is nice, it's easy to see what it does for infrastructure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Ran into the dude in charge of the petrol station at holy cross in Waterford, where the only rapid charger in Waterford is located.

Be warned.

He has signage up and WILL clamp all cars plugged in for more than an hour.

Had a bit of a rant about leafs especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

It'll never end with him. eCars need to decommission that site, it's farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,262 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Has anyone ever actually got a straight answer from him about what the feck his problem is?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Bolton St public car park has one of the new 44kW units. CCS and CHAdeMO in relative safety.

Are you joking? He's the best source of entertainment on this thread 😂

You should ask him if petrol cars will also be clamped and if he says no, tell him he's prejudiced against EV drivers 😁

I'm guessing the chap doesn't know that there's an overstay fee beyond 45 mins. Anyone who comes and plugs in for the second go obviously needs the juice and isn't abandoning the car

Nope, just plenty of rumours

My theory is that he's had it in for EV drivers since they didn't appreciate the picnic table he put out for them 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭eagerv

What amazes me is that he always turns up whenever you plug in, even when his car is not there😊. Last week he told me that we would soon be paying about a euro per kWh, a waste of time getting an EV now..

Advertisement