Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ted Bundy Tapes (Netflix)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Did the guy from married with children murder 30 women, jesus why didn't I hear about this before😨

How do you think he put up with Peggy for so long?!?! When she was wrecking his buzz too much, he'd blow off a bit of steam by going out and killing some poor, unsuspecting college girl and then he'd be back to his old, curmudgeonly but hilarious ways!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

You can't remove or reword anything in the Irish Constitution without a referendum.

Ya I know that now just thought the death penalty was removed a very long time ago, didn’t realise it was only in 2001 but I wasn’t old enough to vote then.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,156 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Capital punishment is legal in the US now, so your point doesn’t stand in either country.
    Whether it's legal or not today really doesn't affect my point tbh. But FWIW, Capital punishment is currently ruled "unconstitutional" in Florida (where Bundy was convicted). And in Ireland, we were handing out death sentences up until the mid 80s (it was abolished in 1990).

I'm just saying is that there's no point arguing sentencing laws retrospectively. The judge/prosecutor were working with the options in front of them. Somebody like Bundy is always getting the max imo - whatever that is for a given time and place.

fin12 wrote: »
    Ya I know that now just thought the death penalty was removed a very long time ago, didn’t realise it was only in 2001 but I wasn’t old enough to vote then.
    It was removed from statue law for all crimes in 1990. So it wasn't a possible sentence after that. The 2001 referendum was to prevent the government from bringing it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

Any chance we can get back to Netflix?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Telly wrote: »

Or take it to the True Crime forum.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1842

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 28,442 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Telly wrote: »

Dead Man Walking is a good film on Netflix.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Some of us haven't watched Ted Bundyyet..... Ease off with the spoilers please!?

He wasn’t a nice man.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Can we go back to talking about Ted Bundy please....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Finished Ted Bundy last night. I was somewhat familiar with him but it was a real eye opener. If ever anyone needs an illustration of an out and out sociopath, just watch this.
    Even parking the killings, his unwavering belief that he was going to get himself off the charges and his demeanour during the entire trail was incredibly disconcerting. He 100% believed he was smarter than everyone. I also loved the judge, "DONT POINT YOUR FINGER AT ME YOUNG MAN!". The words he spoke when the sentence was given were also incredible. The fact he was able to escape twice is something so unbelievable I cant get my brain around it.

Well worth a watch for those that want a glimpse into the mind of a stone cold killer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

sugarman wrote: »
    I just finished the final episode a few moments ago myself
    ...the biggest shock and oddly the most disconcerting element of the whole documentary was the shear number of people out celebrating his death!Drinking, singing, dancing, setting off fireworks throughout the night. You'd almost swear it was the 4th of July.

Not to be excusing Bundys atrocities, but thats not normal behavior in my books.

There were more mullets than you could count, cousin loving central.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Finished Ted Bundy last night. I was somewhat familiar with him but it was a real eye opener. If ever anyone needs an illustration of an out and out sociopath, just watch this.
    Even parking the killings, his unwavering belief that he was going to get himself off the charges and his demeanour during the entire trail was incredibly disconcerting. He 100% believed he was smarter than everyone. I also loved the judge, "DONT POINT YOUR FINGER AT ME YOUNG MAN!". The words he spoke when the sentence was given were also incredible. The fact he was able to escape twice is something so unbelievable I cant get my brain around it.

Well worth a watch for those that want a glimpse into the mind of a stone cold killer.

Didn’t watch it & I won’t either. My auld lad was obsessed with serial killers/mass murderers. And I after him.I used to love reading about them too, morso about the detectives that caught them

This progamme is only glorify Bundy.

Imagine if your sister was one of the girls he murdered. Would you be so quick to watch it.

...his unwavering belief that he was going to get himself off the charges and his demeanour during the entire trail was incredibly disconcerting. He 100% believed he was smarter than everyone. I also loved the judge...
    I doubt he actually believed he was going to get off. It was all ego. He just wanted to be in charge. He sabotaged his own defense just so he could be the one calling the shots. He could have avoided the chair if he Put his ego aside
    Tilikum17 wrote: »
    This progamme is only glorify Bundy.

Imagine if your sister was one of the girls he murdered. Would you be so quick to watch it.
    If you haven't watched it, how do you know it's glorifying him?
    I don't think that it glorifies him (I've watched it). It's pretty much a general factual overview, littered with his words. It doesn't go into too much "detail" about some aspects.

Now the upcoming movie. That will draw complaints imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Drumpot wrote: »
    Yeh i think some of the people getting very sensitive about a documentary need to Understand not everybody thinks like them. I watch this as sort of a fascinating insight into the damage one person can do (even the fear he brought) and how easily they can get away with it. He was caught by sheer chance , escaped twice and his ego ultimately sabotaged his chances of not getting the electric Chair. The entire story is just so interesting. You don’t learn anything by taking a holier then though attitude, classifying him as evil and ignoring everything he did because some people may believe it’s celebrating Bundy in some way.. I don’t like Bundy and don’t glorify what he did and don’t see having an interest in his life as besmirching his victims in any capacity.

If anything these sort of documentaries are a great reminder of how even friendly and attractive people can deceive and be quite nasty. Paedophiles , abusers and people with less sinister but equally damaging proclivities use the exact same sort of mask that Bundy used. Like politicians!!!

I found it funny that Bundy felt being in politics was the best profession to use his mask. It’s also a good insight into how the average joe can be so shallow by judging people based on the limited time they get in their company. I said it already that the way the people
    celebrated Bundy being killed
    was disgusting. I can understand family members feeling some
    Sense of relief or justice but the mobs at the end were pathetic.

We can learn something from that when judging how “civilized” we really are as a species. The religious eye for an eye or you are either good or evil mantra is outdated and an overly simplistic method of trying to understand the likes of Bundy.

Considering how popular the most mind numbingly retarded reality shows can be I would argue that a documentary like this is a much welcomed balance.

It’s pretty odd to worry about the morality of the mob but not Bundy.

And Bundy was evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

It’s pretty odd to worry about the morality of the mob but not Bundy.

And Bundy was evil.

Bundy was judged and killed for his crimes. He’s no threat to anybody anymore therefore his morality died with him. That mob mentality for vengeance is still alive and nestling nicely behind a fake veil of self righteousness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Bundy was judged and killed for his crimes. He’s no threat to anybody anymore therefore his morality died with him. That mob mentality for vengeance is still alive and nestling nicely behind a fake veil of self righteousness.

Why not continue this debate in this thread:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109313707&postcount=1

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Watched The Ted Bundy Tapes. Absolutely cannot get over the judge saying that to him after his sentencing. Imagine how all the families of the dead girls feel listening to the judge practically rimming the man who brutally murdered your daughter. He was so ridiculous saying that.
    I think Bundy’s decision to reject the plea deal was all about arrogance and he knew if he had a trial he could use the courtroom as his stage, everything was a performance. Asking to speak to the media, rocking up late, rude interjections and losing the head, none of that would be tolterated now.
    Even his confession days before his death was all about attention, he knew he’d be notorious and confessing ensures he and his acts have longevity. He was still playing with the media right up until day dot by drip feeding info and having them hang on his word. I’m agaisnt the death penalty but I do see why he just needed to be erased. His crimes were the stuff of evil,
    why did he have to kill the child ffs?
    he never showed any remorse, only arrogance, and they couldn’t take the chance of him escaping again to go on another spree. As well as that he seemed to be revelling more and more in the attention and the fame as it all went on.

Watched The Ted Bundy Tapes. Absolutely cannot get over the judge saying that to him after his sentencing. Imagine how all the families of the dead girls feel listening to the judge practically rimming the man who brutally murdered your daughter. He was so ridiculous saying that.

The judge was sentencing Bundy to his death surely that should be enough?! I think having compassion, even to somebody who doesn’t deserve it, is an admirable quality.. I don’t get this vengeful desire to see people revel in him being punished.

I applaud the judge for not grandstanding in a popular manner. Actually shows a bit of class unlike the sheriff who purposely dragged Bundy on front of cameras to serve his warrant. It’s similar to dragging criminals through the streets so people can throw vegetables at them.

Like I said, as a society we aren’t very good at self reflection.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

How has this thread turned into a part time discussion on Ted Bundy? Well, I know how given there's a Netflix doc, but it's a bit jarring to keep clicking into this thread and finding more natter on a serial killer :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

The Bundy documentary was interesting but nothing new, it really just serves as a platform to talk and revel in the attention, very little to know real insight into his crimes, he's incapable of telling the truth and devoid of any sort of guilt or empathy.

Everything was a well put on show with Bundy, he'll always be a fascinating subject because no one will ever really know the truth behind him or his actions, he was incapable of being truthful, the ultimate narcissist, sociopath, psychopath etc...

• Advertisement

The judge was sentencing Bundy to his death surely that should be enough?! I think having compassion, even to somebody who doesn’t deserve it, is an admirable quality.. I don’t get this vengeful desire to see people revel in him being punished.

He could have framed it in a way that was less complimentary to the man who had just went on a killing spree. Even if he’d said “what a waste of potential, you could have done a lot with your life had you not chosen this path”, instead of an inappropriate and uncomfortable appraisal on how he admired the man who killed the daughter’s of the parents in the room. It was gross.

Following in the tradition of the old thread, this thread is for recommending films and tv shows on Netflix. However, please keep in mind that this is not the only place on Boards to discuss Netflix and we encourage you to take in-depth discussion of Netflix content to the relevant thread or forum.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    How has this thread turned into a part time discussion on Ted Bundy? Well, I know how given there's a Netflix doc, but it's a bit jarring to keep clicking into this thread and finding more natter on a serial killer :confused:

Apologies I just read OP and it seems I’ve dragged the thread off topic.

pixelburp wrote: »

You’re right, I had unsubbed here for a while cos I hadn’t seen it. Didn’t realise it had been done to death :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I've split the discussion of The Ted Bundy Tapes into its own thread, so feel free to keep talking about it. Not sure Films is the right place for it, but it started it here so I'll leave it for now.

Advertisement