Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ted Bundy Tapes (Netflix)

Options
  • 27-01-2019 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭

Bundy thing was good, some new footage but nothing I didn't know about already, a fascinating character though

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Bundy thing was good, some new footage but nothing I didn't know about already, a fascinating character though

I watched it today, was compelling viewing.... He was remarkable alright.
    Frighteningly remarkable.

It’s funny because I’d be sort of on the fence about the death penalty but felt uncomfortable watching people cheer and celebrate his punishment...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The Ted bundy documentary is four episodes of which I've just watched the first one. It's very well done and lots of archive footage in ep 1 which sets the scene of how it was reported at the time.

Is that the one called "Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes"?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Noodles81

Drumpot wrote: »

It’s funny because I’d be sort of on the fence about the death penalty but felt uncomfortable watching people cheer and celebrate his punishment...

He was frighteningly remarkable and you were uncomfortable about his death? The only thing I ever found remarkable was how other women idolised him, even when he was on death row. They couldn't see how he would have murdered them too if he got the chance, they just saw an attractive face.

I haven't watched this but that's interesting what you took from it. He butchered young women like it was going out of fashion and used his sociopathy to try and get away with it.

Having read Anne Rule's book about him and watched A Deliberate Stranger back in the day, I found nothing remarkable about him or his death. He got only what he deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,157 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Noodles81 wrote: »
    Having read Anne Rule's book about him and watched A Deliberate Stranger back in the day, I found nothing remarkable about him or his death. He got only what he deserved.

Hmmm, it's the very fact that he was remarkable that there are books and films (like A Deliberate Stranger) made about him. Remarkable isn't necessarily a positive description.
    The fact we're even discussing him, is kinda self-fulfilling.

As for getting what he deserved. He absolutely deserved to be punished to the full extent of the law. The general consensus is that decent people opposes the death penalty today, but I don't think we should be retrospectively applying contemporary morality to the 1980s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Ireland had its last capital punishment carried out in 1954. The morality in the 80s was similar to now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Noodles81

Mellor wrote: »
    Hmmm, it's the very fact that he was remarkable that there are books and films (like A Deliberate Stranger) made about him. Remarkable isn't necessarily a positive description.
    The fact we're even discussing him, is kinda self-fulfilling.

As for getting what he deserved. He absolutely deserved to be punished to the full extent of the law. The general consensus is that decent people opposes the death penalty today, but I don't think we should be retrospectively applying contemporary morality to the 1980s.

Yes I understand, I suppose remarkable sounded like admiration to me. Yes he is fascinating in a morbid sense. My parents told me about him so I knew what "strangers" could be capable of. I was very trusting back then and was so shocked at what he was capable of.

Later I read Anne Rules' book. She actually knew him and worked with him...on a suicide prevention hotline of all things.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,157 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ireland had its last capital punishment carried out in 1954. The morality in the 80s was similar to now.
    Bundy wasn't in Ireland though. In the US, in the 80s, capital punishment was legal. I'm sayin I don't see the point in applying contemporary morality to 80s America, any more than applying it to 1950s Ireland (when we were hanging people)

Mellor wrote: »
    Bundy wasn't in Ireland though. In the US, in the 80s, capital punishment was legal. I'm sayin I don't see the point in applying contemporary morality to 80s America, and more than applying it to 1950s Ireland (when we were hanging people)

Capital punishment is legal in the US now, so your point doesn’t stand in either country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Drumpot wrote: »

He murdered 30 women,beheading 6 of them and had sex with their dead bodies,a 12yr old was one of his victims,i certainly wouldn't find anything remarkable about him he got everything he deserved,if there is a hell i hope he's still rotting in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,443 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

He murdered 30 women,beheading 6 of them and had sex with their dead bodies,a 12yr old was one of his victims,i certainly wouldn't find anything remarkable about him he got everything he deserved,if there is a hell i hope he's still rotting in it.

It's still not right that people were outside celebrating hs execution like it was a football match.

It's not right that governments kill people for killing people. Society should be above that. There is no such place as hell.

What has been resolved by his execution?

It would have been more useful to society to have kept him alive and studied him to help scientist and police understand serial killers better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Some of us haven't watched Ted Bundyyet..... Ease off with the spoilers please!?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

He dies

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's still not right that people were outside celebrating hs execution like it was a football match.

It's not right that governments kill people for killing people. Society should be above that. There is no such place as hell.

What has been resolved by his execution?

It would have been more useful to society to have kept him alive and studied him to help scientist and police understand serial killers better.

The parents and loved ones of the victims get some closure.

Some of us haven't watched Ted Bundyyet..... Ease off with the spoilers please!?

I mean it's historical but...ok

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I mean it's historical but...ok

Who's Ted Bundyyet? :confused:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

It's ruined now,don't bother.

Watch Titanic instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭El Duda

Ted Bundy was a ghost the whole time!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

There’s been an overly sensitive reaction to my post that’s also been misinterpreted. Whether it’s been misinterpreted so people can get offended or not is unclear but that seems to be a modern thing these days.

A remarkable person is not necessarily somebody doing good so dry your eyes and get off your high horse please. As people have stated the fact that people know so much about him and there’s movies and documentaries being made about him 30 years on says it all.

Incidentally, I was saying I’m not comfortable watching people celebrate the murder of even a killer. Selling t-shirts and key rings of him being fried as if it’s somebody being voted off big brother or a reality tv show! I understand the relief it gave but that blood lust response is not a civilized response to the purging of a threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,296 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Whatever about this Ted Bundy doc, I havent seen it,
    but the trailer for that new Ted Bundy film is bizarre!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Ilovethe bonesofyou

I just keep thinking of burger buns

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

gmisk wrote: »
    Whatever about this Ted Bundy doc, I havent seen it,
    but the trailer for that new Ted Bundy film is bizarre!

Same person who made the documentary so I suspect the trailer is intentionally highlighting the way Bundy was almost glamourised.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

It’s scary how the reporter guy said Ted had blue eyes but his eyes went black when he was describing the murders of women. Pure evil.

The parents and loved ones of the victims get some closure.

What closure? Poor family member is still dead and not coming back.

You don't see Irish families calling for death penalties or closure.

Glad Ireland has voted to remove it completely from our constitution.

What closure? Poor family member is still dead and not coming back.

You don't see Irish families calling for death penalties or closure.

Glad Ireland has voted to remove it completely from our constitution?

You can’t speak for all victims and their families, why would u see an Irish family call for the death penalty when we don’t have it so they know asking for it is pointless.

The penalties in this country for taking someone’s life are absolutely pathetic.

fin12 wrote: »
    You can’t speak for all victims and their families, why would u see an Irish family call for the death penalty when we don’t have it so they know asking for it is pointless.

The penalties in this country for taking someone’s life are absolutely pathetic.

I'm not derailing the thread anymore after this post but even tonight on the news, the sister of the victim of this murder said that the sentence brought closure.

There is no serious group campaigning with any traction for the return of capital punishment.

I won't argue with you that sometimes sentences here are too light but feel strongly that death penalties and drunken mobs cheering it on outside prisons is not the right way either.

I'm not derailing the thread anymore after this post but even tonight on the news, the sister of the victim of this murder said that the sentence brought closure.

There is no serious group campaigning with any traction for the return of capital punishment.

I won't argue with you that sometimes sentences here are too light but feel strongly that death penalties and drunken mobs cheering it on outside prisons is not the right way either.

We don’t have serial killers here. If Bundy were alive he’d probably be on those documentaries. Fetishised by some.

I wouldn’t normally support capital punishment but for serial killers it’s justified.

Was the dearth penalty just removed from the constitution or did the public get to vote on it?

Was the dearth penalty just removed from the constitution or did the public get to vote on it?

It was voted on by referendum and passed by a significant majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Did the guy from married with children murder 30 women, jesus why didn't I hear about this before😨

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

You can't remove or reword anything in the Irish Constitution without a referendum.

Advertisement