Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know where we're going, but I know where I am (part 6).

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

Wide awake in bed and absolutely gutted it's not like 2pm. Ex is coming to get the last of his stuff at 11am. It's in the shed. Do I leave the house he come and gone?

Stay in the leaba and let him get the stuff from the shed! I hope you're ok, break ups are sh1t.

Ah Sam, so sorry about your doggy. Such a difficult decision but you know when it's time yourself. Try to take some comfort from the fact that he's had a good and happy life with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,106 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

In bed hungover. What a feckin night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Damn I really want too try this boxty, obligatory you lucky bastard video

Is it a Mayo thing? The only ones I ever heard mentioning it were Mayo men.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Grandeeod wrote: »
    In bed hungover. What a feckin night.

I hope it was a great night though

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Morning all :)

Today is a busy day in the life of Auto :D

Carside

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Ilovethe bonesofyou

No it's the North West/ West in general CH. Not sure if it's fact but think I heard before it originated in Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,057 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Just spent the last few hours watching/listening to a Yanni concert from a place called Al-Ula.

Just look at the first few minutes to see the amazing scenery that I shall get to visit tomorrow.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Its the west's/north west's best kept secret, they've been hiding it from us for years :mad: and now bones likes too rub our faces in it :mad:

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Not contradicting Bones but I spend a lot of time in Galway/Connemara and never heard it mentioned.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

In work, feeling like the duracell bunny after a bowl of cocaine.
    Fell asleep last night at about 10:30 ish, practically the afternoon for me. Woke up at half 8. Vaguely recall waking during the night with a cough but fell back to sleep immediately. I literally had about half my weeks sleep in one night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Not contradicting Bones but I spend a lot of time in Galway/Connemara and never heard it mentioned.

What’s the lines

Boxty on the pan
    Boxty on the griddle
    If ya can’t make boxty
    You’ll never get a man

Or to that affect years alcohol abuse is killing my brain cells

• Registered Users Posts: 12,106 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Wish I had some Boxty now to sort out the stomach. Three pan fried slices of it with an egg on top.

Supervalu sell it. It originated in the Leitrim, Cavan and Fermanagh areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Cavan too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

No it's the North West/ West in general CH. Not sure if it's fact but think I heard before it originated in Leitrim.

It's basically just a few types of potato bread, it's widely available in our area here and I love it.
    Four types in our local shop, two suppliers, mcniffes and drumulty.
    Small pan ones called potato bread, larger ones called boxty pancakes, then there's two types you slice, its boiled in cake form, called dumplings, you slice it and fry the slices.
    Then there's a baked one, shaped like a soda bread loaf, you slice and fry also.
    All are pre cooked, you fry to reheat and brown before you eat them.
    Some people grill them or pop the slices in a toaster, but that's rotten to me as it just dries them out.
    I love all of them, my mother used to make them for us years ago, and the best way is fried and some butter to melt on them.
    Beautiful with bacon egg and sausage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,842 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

In the kitchen , obligatory coffee in hand :D

Boxty , is it in anyway similar to potato cakes you'd make yourself ?

Yes, it was always homemade here when we were younger. The pancakes are basically just potatoes grated very fine mixed with flour and salt added.
    That's the quickest homemade version.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,842 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Edward M wrote: »
    Yes, it was always homemade here when we were younger. The pancakes are basically just potatoes grated very fine mixed with flour and salt added.
    That's the quickest homemade version.

Thanks Edward , I've often made potato cakes , never tried boxty so was wondering if there was any similarities !

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Thanks Edward , I've often made potato cakes , never tried boxty so was wondering if there was any similarities !

Mam, if you have never tried the dumplings or the loaf you don't know what you're missing.
    They make great quick dinners too, you can have them with anything. I've often had them with chops, burgers and even steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Couch side. Settling in for the Rugby. Busy morning. Getting lawnmower ready for first outing of the year. New blades, belts, and service. All done by yours truly. Can't wait now to get going with it. First dry day................................ I just realised I've no life!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Chilling on the sofa, in good form for a change. Finally think I'm getting a handle on things, and am feeling good.

Have a secret stash of mini eggs beside me, the fire lit, an audio book on and no plans made for later.

I'm enjoying life and not thinking a million days ahead, and not in what if mode for a change. Its really really nice. I haven't felt this relaxed in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,057 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Passenger delayed the flight by 2 hours, so I find myself sitting in a quiet empty plane waiting for the rugby to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Ilovethe bonesofyou

The McNiffes boxty slices would be the ones that remind me most of the boxty my mother made years ago. The texture of it would be similar. I find the way you cook it is most important. Fried in butter with the pan as high as can go.

Just to clarify aswell I'm not some weird boxty addict :p I'd normally only eat it now and again with a fry but we've been on a sustained run of boxty for a while now. Fartypants is pregnant after all and this baby seems to love his potato goods and I certainly ain't complaining, get in ma belly! :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Home after shopping with mammy in dunnes :o she was looking at the lyons tea bags again :eek:, So I distracted her with mini rolls "Oh there lovely looking" and I quickly switched in the barry's :D:D
    TG1 wrote: »
    Chilling on the sofa, in good form for a change. Finally think I'm getting a handle on things, and am feeling good.

Have a secret stash of mini eggs beside me, the fire lit, an audio book on and no plans made for later.

I'm enjoying life and not thinking a million days ahead, and not in what if mode for a change. Its really really nice. I haven't felt this relaxed in a long time.

What kind of mini eggs though? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭4Ad

Cushtie wrote: »
    Couch side. Settling in for the Rugby. Busy morning. Getting lawnmower ready for first outing of the year. New blades, belts, and service. All done by yours truly. Can't wait now to get going with it. First dry day................................ I just realised I've no life!

Aren't you settling fo the rugby !!
    Enjoy....

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭bolgbui41

In the comfy clothes, tea in hand, ready to watch the rugby.....or I thought I was till I read all this boxty talk. We have one of the loaves in the fridge (our local butcher imports it from the wilds of Leitrim or Cavan or one of those strange foreign places). And there's rashers...and fresh duck eggs with bright orange yolks that'd soak into the boxty beautifully....

Headings kitchenside to make a mini-fry up. Damn you all and your boxty.

bolgbui41 wrote: »
    . Damn you all and your boxty.

My work here is done

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Out running errands with mam. Work later, yay :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Cushtie

4Ad wrote: »
    Aren't you settling fo the rugby !!
    Enjoy....

True. Dead right.

I suppose I was more getting at the level of happiness I got out of messing with a lawnmower, and looking forward to using it! In an earlier life I would have probably been at the rugby or at least perched on a high stool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Got my morning coat on, brown 70’s styled underpants and a great big Cuban watching the Liverpool match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Homeside for now, dressed for work and having a cuppa and will have a small snack before I head off

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement