Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Taylor-made CVPL Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Tim Curry as "Darknes"s in "Legend", anyone?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113889690&postcount=5230
    Reminds me of a story I heard many years ago.
    A packing line at a factory had an issue where every once in a while the box would "skip" the filler and be sent out empty, so management got a team of engineers to devise a solution.
    After a large amount of money, they had developed a device to weigh each box and eject the empty ones.
    The device was fitted to the line, but even it failed occasionally to find the empty ones.
    Shortly afterwards the failure rate went to zero, confused managers sent the engineers back to see what fixed the problem.

The device was switched off and the line operator had a cheap desk fan flowing across the line, blowing the empty boxes off!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,325 ✭✭✭✭Victor

joujoujou wrote: »
    mOmSckh.jpg

Years ago, it was reputed that UCD students stole the LED sign from the Seventh Day Adventist Church in Ranelagh. Yes, they got a sign from God.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Crasp wrote: »
    Which film is on the right?
    I know someone who is VERY upset at cute fluffy trolls.

We had things to be very afraid of fairy tales for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

6060_8b82.jpeg

Edgy or wha?

Mod : Moved from YLYL thread. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

961p1v6jhgo41.jpg
    This never happened.

Also, that's Liam Brady from the 70s.

Also, Liverpool and West Ham did have a player called Dicks in the 90s. It still never happened though.

No surprise at the poster tbh. This kind of lazy stuff annoys me more than it should. If only there was a thread for things like that somewhere :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,333 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

cdeb wrote: »
    This never happened.

Also, that's Liam Brady from the 70s.

Also, Liverpool and West Ham did have a player called Dicks in the 90s. It still never happened though.

No surprise at the poster tbh. This kind of lazy stuff annoys me more than it should. If only there was a thread for things like that somewhere :)

And it is a repost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭wally79

Does humour need to be based on fact now?

If the humour is based in part on a story purporting to be true, then it certainly shouldn't be blatantly nonsense on a number of levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭wally79

If the humour is based in part on a story purporting to be true, then it certainly shouldn't be blatantly nonsense on a number of levels.

Isn’t that the basis of a lot of jokes?

• Advertisement

Not really, no.

Like, obviously some jokes are made up. And others are funny because they actually happened. But as I said, if a good chunk of the humour is in the fact that the story is actually true, then it really shouldn't be completely made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,325 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm sure someone has studied the theory of jokes, but I suspect a lot of it is 'suspension of disbelief' and similar principles. If that can't be achieved, then it may lack teh funneh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭josip

If someone wants a real Dicks football joke they could post a named Liverpool jersey that some supporters got when Julian Dicks joined.
    Coz that's how they felt when he left after only a year and they had to bin the jerseys.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Not really, no.

Like, obviously some jokes are made up. And others are funny because they actually happened. But as I said, if a good chunk of the humour is in the fact that the story is actually true, then it really shouldn't be completely made up.

Jaysus, who p1ssed in your cornflakes?

It's a joke, no part of it needs to be true.

But as noted above, if the funny derives in large from the fact that it is true, then yeah, it does need to be true.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Can we apply the "Don't be a Dick" rule here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

That's up there with the

"I lectured a nurse about vaccines at my kids school and told her about how dangerous they were. She immediately apologised and thanked me, she vowed never to give a child another vaccination. I'm just mom doing my best"

levels of bull**** and therefore has no place in the thread

"My three-year-old just said *insert profound statement here that they clearly didn't say*" - not funny

This, however -

635137_b.jpg
    Funny

Simples :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,157 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

wally79 wrote: »
    Isn’t that the basis of a lot of jokes?
    BattleCorp wrote: »
    Jaysus, who p1ssed in your cornflakes?

It's a joke, no part of it needs to be true.

When somebody starts a "So a man walks into a bar...." story, nobody thinks he's telling a true story about a man in a bar.

But funny news story in the paper, or other real life photos only funny because they supposed to be real.
    If there's no actual restaurant called Golden Shower, then whatever individual made up that "joke" leads a very sad existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

That restaurant might just exist https://www.goldenshowerchinchin.com/ but from the website I think they have got the joke :D

• Advertisement

Yes, I thought the photo was too good to be photoshopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I never noticed the seating upstairs on the old trams before. They should bring that back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭josip

I never noticed the seating upstairs on the old trams before. They should bring that back.

You mean on top of the Luas?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

josip wrote: »
    You mean on top of the Luas?
    Yeah, don't touch the wires, be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

106613983_4363514493662240_8507511590952288917_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=a4f1tQu-le8AX97h27a&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=c4de5e23a890adf9a9ba5ffcf255d22f&oe=5F231902

OK so its funny I laughed, but its also true and someone died so is it really funny? https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/woman-who-died-climbing-everest-wanted-to-prove-vegans-are-not-weak-a7043431.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

GinSoaked wrote: »
    OK so its funny I laughed, but its also true and someone died so is it really funny? https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/woman-who-died-climbing-everest-wanted-to-prove-vegans-are-not-weak-a7043431.html

Apparently, them's the rules:
    But as noted above, if the funny derives in large from the fact that it is true, then yeah, it does need to be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

0277_8f78_800.jpeg
    Same joke was in an Oink magazine in about 1988. But it featured a dog that said bark covered tree trunks and the opposite of smooth was ruff.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,157 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Same joke was in an Oink magazine in about 1988. But it featured a dog that said bark covered tree trunks and the opposite of smooth was ruff.

TIL that jokes were crap in 1988

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,333 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Oink Jaysus that is a throwback.

I go bum bum tickle tickle Pappa Oink
    And then I don't feel sad......

Advertisement