Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Taylor-made CVPL Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,146 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

New Home wrote: »
    Whooosh?

I was only out of bed. But yes. Whoosh

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

:D

No worries, it happens to the best of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,316 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A few things.

1. Who cares what Hilary Clinton might or might not have said, possibly years ago?
    2. Dead soldiers are dead and that is a very bad thing, but you can't improve their situation. Their families are left to suffer and grieve. Women are often left to pick up the pieces.
    3. In Ireland more COVID-19 has more female victims (I don't have a breakdown for deaths).

514497.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Victor wrote: »
    3. In Ireland more COVID-19 has more female victims (I don't have a breakdown for deaths).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland
    Deaths by Gender up to: 13 May
    Gender Number of Deaths (%)
    Male 749(50%)
    Female 748(50%)
    Unknown 0(0%)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,146 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

2. Dead soldiers are dead and that is a very bad thing, but you can't improve their situation. Their families are left to suffer and grieve. Women are often left to pick up the pieces.
    Yes, the families and loved ones of dead soldiers are also victims. Nobody disputes that.
    But calling them the primary victims? No, that's just ridiculous.
    If somebody is murdered, they are the primary victim. Their family the secondary victims.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Mellor wrote: »
    Yes, the families and loved ones of dead soldiers are also victims. Nobody disputes that.
    But calling them the primary victims? No, that's just ridiculous.
    If somebody is murdered, they are the primary victim. Their family the secondary victims.

Exactly. Calling someone a secondary victim is hardly diminishing their victimhood.

Seems like everyone in the US wants to be a victim of something or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

A few things.

1. Who cares what Hilary Clinton might or might not have said, possibly years ago?

Jesus H Christ, I didn't even know this thread existed. The fact the meme triggered you to respond says a lot. I'd say you're some warrior on twitter. The outrage. Hilary did in fact state that. I understand your second point. The third is pathetic...but but but women cv19 numbers in Ireland.....too much time on your hands

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭wally79

Jesus H Christ, I didn't even know this thread existed. The fact the meme triggered you to respond says a lot. I'd say you're some warrior on twitter. The outrage. Hilary did in fact state that. I understand your second point. The third is pathetic...but but but women cv19 numbers in Ireland.....too much time on your hands

Makes me wish I could see your posts to know what the outrage is about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

2866_604d_640.png

Not funny :D

I worked on a project where a customer put a hyphen in their company name when they registered our software and it took the developers a week to work out why our software kept crashing. Hundreds of previous customers and no one had ever done that.

GinSoaked wrote: »

I worked on a project where a customer put a hyphen in their company name when they registered our software and it took the developers a week to work out why our software kept crashing. Hundreds of previous customers and no one had ever done that.

I once broke an online registration system by being too creative with the password, it immediately crashed and was offline until the next day. Shortly afterwards, there was a list of forbidden characters in the enter password dialogue box

• Advertisement

I once broke an online registration system by being too creative with the password, it immediately crashed and was offline until the next day. Shortly afterwards, there was a list of forbidden characters in the enter password dialogue box

I forgot I bricked an edimax 3G router a few years back by using !"££$%^ in the login password :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I forgot I bricked an edimax 3G router a few years back by using !"££$%^ in the login password :rolleyes:
    Surely that's cursing in cartoon speak!

Anyway, shouldn't al that fall under the "stress testing" category? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

wally79 wrote: »

I assumed it was viable when they responded in this thread, see it below

ayedBZb_460swp.webp
    img

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I think it's more likely that they can't see your post because you're on the poster's ignore list...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

You really don't.....

cdeb wrote: »
    I think it's more likely that they can't see your post because you're on the poster's ignore list...

Some browsers (or your work internet settings) block some pictures.

For instance, read this: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/announcement.php?f=838

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭wally79

No. None of his images show up on iPhone

New Home wrote: »
    Some browsers (or your work internet settings) block some pictures.

For instance, read this: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/announcement.php?f=838

Damn liberial lame stream media bias!

Damn liberial lame stream media bias!
    *Man shakes fist at cloud*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

That's because the images are WebP format instead of jpg/gif/png.

https://caniuse.com/#feat=webp

Not always - those twimg ones aren't, for instance. And the funny thing is that if you open them "outside" of Boards they are visible, for the most part - that's why we've been asking people to add the link, too - at least we don't get pages and pages of blank posts and if curiosity gets the better of us we can always click on those links.

This is one example:

EYu8q5aWoAYpmA_.jpg

and this is that image's link: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EYu8q5aWoAYpmA_.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Ah, fairy nuff. :o

*Walks away from the war I'm almost after starting!*

Ah, fairy nuff. :o

*Walks away from the war I'm almost after starting!*

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭josip

Jesus.
    • Wasn't considered by the back end designer
    • Wasn't prevented by the front end designer
    • Wasn't stress tested by the testers
    • Couldn't be identified/recreated by 2nd line support
    • Doesn't sound like the limitation was documented anywhere, even in a comment.
    • Took the developers A WEEK to identify the problem (Given that they coded it like this initially, this is probably the least surprising part of all this)
    And I thought our tiny outfit were Michael Mouse Enterprises :)

josip wrote: »
    Jesus.
    • Wasn't considered by the back end designer
    • Wasn't prevented by the front end designer
    • Wasn't stress tested by the testers
    • Couldn't be identified/recreated by 2nd line support
    • Doesn't sound like the limitation was documented anywhere, even in a comment.
    • Took the developers A WEEK to identify the problem (Given that they coded it like this initially, this is probably the least surprising part of all this)
    And I thought our tiny outfit were Michael Mouse Enterprises :)

So you also have one guy coding another doing support, one tester an hr department, sixteen managers a huge sales team and a website that gives none of that way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭josip

So you also have one guy coding another doing support, one tester an hr department, sixteen managers a huge sales team and a website that gives none of that way :D

Even worse than that.

We've got a multi-polar tech guy who writes, tests and supports his own code.
    He has to change his mindset depending on which of the 3 roles he's doing, 4 roles if you include his presales activities :)

He has learned over the years that the shoddier his work at design/development time, the more it will come back to bite him years later under support.
    He does have 2 managers though :D

josip wrote: »
    Even worse than that.

We've got a multi-polar tech guy who writes, tests and supports his own code.
    He has to change his mindset depending on which of the 3 roles he's doing, 4 roles if you include his presales activities :)

He has learned over the years that the shoddier his work at design/development time, the more it will come back to bite him years later under support.
    He does have 2 managers though :D

I'm sure there are end users that think that their software is created and coded by a huge team of developers.

In most cases there are massively more people in the sales department.

Bootup wrote: »
    nmxSkr2.jpg
    I bet he can't outrun the bullet the cop would send his way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,456 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I bet he can't outrun the bullet the cop would send his way!

Nahhhh

He's way to white to get shot.

Advertisement