Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Main dealer issue

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

yes you are wrong,
    Failing battery usually causes the start/stop to not function.

a lot of inbuilt systems use ABS sensors on the wheels for better positioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Just to follow up on this:
    - I contacted the garage this morning and as expected they said there is no need to touch the caliper to install an ABS sensor.

- So after talking to a couple of mechanics they said that is correct however they can be very hard to remove particularly the left hand side one. So in order to make it easier to remove the caliper is often removed as well.

- Looking at the picture i honestly think the caliper was moved to allow easier access to the abs sensor and was not moved back when the job was done.

I think i will go down the small claims court route, its just too much of a coincidence.

Thanks for all the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

Before that please give to garage a chance to fix the problem. If they screwed up, typically they looking the solution too. If they do not care and blame you, go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Would you be willing to pay for the part if it dosent fix the problem???
    Can't return part once it's out of the bag etc.
    Bear in mind that sometimes replacing a part is not only advisable, but unavoidable if you actually want a proper diagnosis.

Say for example a fault relates to a particular sensor, say a fuel sensor. You test it as best you can and it appears ok, so you start looking deeper. Yet every hour you spend testing injectors or tracing wiring looms you will be wondering, "The fault points to that sensor, what if I'm getting some sort of false positive and it actually is faulty despite appearing ok?"

The sensor is €70, the hourly labour rate is €110p/h, maybe taking a chance and fitting that sensor straight off the bat saves you thousands of euro in time spent fault finding?

I've seen it a hundred times in fuel systems, where a faulty sensor or injector passes tests but was actually the fault all along. Or maybe it isn't, but from the customers point of view quite often it makes simple financial sense to take the chance and replace it anyway.
    [/B]

Of course you can.
    Not always, a lot of electrical items for example cannot be returned once programmed or even just fitted.
    Irishder wrote: »

I think i will go down the small claims court route, its just too much of a coincidence.

Thanks for all the advice.
    You are wasting your time in my opinion. They say they didn't remove the caliper, the caliper does not need to be removed to do the job, how exactly are you going to demonstrate that they did in fact both remove the part and then also refit it incorrectly? What is your case here?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I think there is a good chance it's just bad luck, coincidence. I get that a lot in my area of expertise, I work in IT and often I'm being recruited to fix friends and family's computers. Then of course when 3 weeks after they catch a virus or something else goes awry I'm listening to 'since you did xyz my computer isn't right'. Which is a right PITA cos not only see they IT work not as 'real work' and you never get anything offered in return, but it's implied that you now owe them for breaking the thing. :rolleyes:

This is ubiquitous in the motor industry. Fix a fuel fault, 3 weeks later an engine management light comes on the dash and automatically that becomes the garages fault. The fact the second fault is for the adblue system is irrelevant, the garage was working at it so any faults that happen in the next year or so become their fault.

Even apart from the totally unconnected faults, there will be a lot of cases where a garage could for example replace a genuinely faulty sensor, clear the fault, and then a week later the same fault comes on again. Why? Because the mechanic jostled a wiring loom and a wire that was already corroded now breaks the first time the vehicle goes over a speedbump. The mechanics fault.

Mechanics can make mistakes and comeback is a thing that needs to be handled, but its unbelievably common that correctly doing one job can lead to a different fault raising its head, like replacing a faulty ABS sensor and then getting tons of ABS faults because the sensor is now doing its job properly and telling you about the other problems that are there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

You are right. The old plastic parts like the electric connectors/brackets/what ever parts can be brittle. To find the electrical issue, the mechanics should not open the connectors first and then probe. It is possible to back probe the connectors when connectors are plugged. Only that way are possible to find that kind ghosts. If you open the connector then that opening can clean/adjust the connector just so much to keep problems away for next 1-3 weeks. On many cases the connector can be faulty even if it looks shiny and clean. The white type of corrosion or the bent single wire connector locking can case the problems what are hard to trace if connector are opened even once.

Advertisement