Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you spend a month before you actually buy anything?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Some people have such big car loans. I'll never understand getting a huge loan for a new car. Or PCP. Seems like such a waste. But then again I'm not hugely into cars.

Cars ain't free.
    I do 60 to 70000km annually.
    Often spend 5 or 6 hours in it.
    It's my office, changing room and often canteen.

Yes I'm "in" to cars too but I also need one that will work 99.9% with simple maintenance.

My current car is now paid for. (Wife's on PCP for different reasons)

I want my savings to be accessible not tied up in a quickly depreciating asset.

(I do get a nice amount of mileage)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Cars ain't free.
    I do 60 to 70000km annually.
    Often spend 5 or 6 hours in it.
    It's my office, changing room and often canteen.

Yes I'm "in" to cars too but I also need one that will work 99.9% with simple maintenance.

My current car is now paid for. (Wife's on PCP for different reasons)

I want my savings to be accessible not tied up in a quickly depreciating asset.

(I do get a nice amount of mileage)

That’s fair enough. You drive a lot more than I do. My mileage is only around 10K kilometres per year as my commute is so short. My car cost 2.5K and I’ve had no trouble with it. There are a lot of people I know who do similar mileage to myself that feel like they need brand new cars on PCP and then are always giving out that they are broke. That’s what I don’t understand!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

That does seem like a lot! Mine is €20 a month. Phone cost about €450 outright. I don't have insurance though.

Once you take the excess into account, you're likely to be paying out as much in insurance as a new phone would cost.

McGaggs wrote: »
    Once you take the excess into account, you're likely to be paying out as much in insurance as a new phone would cost.

Not really. I have an excess of 70 euro and my phone cost 1000 euro. Even a screen replacement is around 250 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Car loan 330
    Savings about 400
    Electricity 170
    After school for an hour about 150
    Whatever property tax is supposed to be therese days
    Internet is 40 (limited providers)
    Health insurance for 4 is 260
    Bins 20 or there abouts
    Swimming for kids 75 per month

Mortgage, sky, bt, Netflix, Amazon and whatever other stuff go out of oh's account. I know mortgage is around 900 and I'd rather not know how much Sky is.

This financial planning stuff is easy. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

Don't get me started...

This is all monthly
    Mortgage 950
    Car loan 200
    Vhi 130
    Bins 30
    Mobile phone bills 35
    Gas
    Electricity
    Broadband 55
    Tv 30
    Savings 140
    House Insurance 30
    Car insurance 65 (they doubled it with no warning)
    Mortgage protection 50
    TV licence 13
    Car tax 25
    Gym 75
    Scouts 20

Family of 4, 1 wage

And I havent bought a crumb of food yet or a school uniform we don't go out anymore, we go nowhere, do nothing

I've trimmed off all the fat. Am debating giving up the skyTV (basic package) but given we're at home so much we'd crack up without it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

ELM327 wrote: »
    They are probably driving a nice new car that is interesting and doesnt break down.

Who's the fool again?

Hmm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

meeeeh wrote: »
    Car loan 330
    Savings about 400
    Electricity 170
    After school for an hour about 150
    Whatever property tax is supposed to be therese days
    Internet is 40 (limited providers)
    Health insurance for 4 is 260
    Bins 20 or there abouts
    Swimming for kids 75 per month

Mortgage, sky, bt, Netflix, Amazon and whatever other stuff go out of oh's account. I know mortgage is around 900 and I'd rather not know how much Sky is.

This financial planning stuff is easy. :D

Savings €400 a month , get out of this Thread!

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Savings €400 a month , get out of this Thread!

I didn't say for how long the stay savings. :D at best I'd say our approach to budgeting is a bit relaxed. Non existent would be another description. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Rent and bills 1400
    Gym 29
    Phone 60
    IT subscription 20
    Loan 400
    Golf 100

So over 2k... Wow. That's a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

mortgage, food, misc bills 2250
    creche 1100
    elecie 80
    sky 120

All split 50/50 with the Mrs so 1725

Golf 150
    Car 400

2275/month not to bad for family with 4 kids

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Sussy

Hi everyone!

Because I switch suppliers every year here is what we spend on. If you take your time to shop around you will save a lot.

Rent €750
    Electric Ireland €70
    Eir Broadband €35
    Bin €33
    Tv license €13
    Aib car insurance €69
    Road tax €3
    Petrol €200
    Tesco mobile €15
    Kerosene winter €93
    Android box for tv

• Site Banned Posts: 3 Suarez Canal

Mortgage 1300
    Savings 1500
    Utilities 140
    TV, broadband, Netflix, Spotify 160
    Insurance/Life Policies 140

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

kieran. wrote: »
    mortgage, food, misc bills 2250
    creche 1100
    elecie 80
    sky 120

All split 50/50 with the Mrs so 1725

Golf 150
    Car 400

2275/month not to bad for family with 4 kids

That is each though!

Mortgage 1300
    Savings 1500
    Utilities 140
    TV, broadband, Netflix, Spotify 160
    Insurance/Life Policies 140

Holy **** that is good saving!!!

It is good to see I am not the only one, I thought at one point I was going mad at home much I spent external to food, clothes etc but dont seem to be.

All of it seems to then not get much bang for your buck either, we do get fleeced here in Ireland, was speaking to my Australian cousins and outside of mortgage they though the figures were mad!!

• Site Banned Posts: 3 Suarez Canal

Holy **** that is good saving!!!

Want to payoff the mortgage as soon as I can, so saving to pay off some principle after each rate reset.

I console myself that we are on tracker anyway. It's almost like bank paying us for to have mortgage with them so there is no point paying it off early. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

Rent €500
    Eir Quad Play - €190 (LL, TV, BB, 3 Mobile)
    Gas - €120 (very cold, old house)
    Electricity - €50
    Bins - €18.50
    Leap Card - €120
    Tv Licence - €13.33
    Groceries - €160
    Credit Union - €150
    Savings for Xmas - €200
    Savings - €200

Total - €1721.03

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Intresting tread this is for a family of 2 adults and 4 kids living in rural kerry 2 cars.
    Alll DD are about 1200 thats including mortgage 400 and car loan 200 shopping in aldi 600 no child care Costs 50 diesel 50 for the kids pocket money we take out 250 a week cash for ourselves and we might save 400 a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

That does seem like a lot! Mine is €20 a month. Phone cost about €450 outright. I don't have insurance though.

What plan are you on? My guess is a Pre pay one? Then €20 is about right but you have to pay for the phone in full which is grand if you don't buy the latest and greatest phone which costs about €1000-1200.

Obviously the person paying €60 is on a bill pay contract.
    It is €60/month for the only unlimited internet phone plan and probably paying about €150 upfront for the phone instead of approx. €1000 to buy it outright.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

That's very expensive for two phones. And you're paying for a landline as well?

Landline comes with the broadband but we never use it. It's 2 phones on the Vodafone €60 per month plan, which includes Spotify premium on one and sky sports on the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

kerryjack wrote: »
    Intresting tread this is for a family of 2 adults and 4 kids living in rural kerry 2 cars.
    Alll DD are about 1200 thats including mortgage 400 and car loan 200 shopping in aldi 600 no child care Costs 50 diesel 50 for the kids pocket money we take out 250 a week cash for ourselves and we might save 400 a month.

50 diesel a month?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭facehugger99

ImARebel wrote: »

I've trimmed off all the fat. Am debating giving up the skyTV (basic package) but given we're at home so much we'd crack up without it

Would you not get Freesat instead?

AFAIK you can use the sky dish and receiver and you get all the major UK channels.

You can get the Irish channels online or through Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

meeeeh wrote: »
    I console myself that we are on tracker anyway. It's almost like bank paying us for to have mortgage with them so there is no point paying it off early. :D

I think it depends on the duration left and circumstances.
    I pay 500 extra off mine a month and have it reduce my monthly rather than reduce the duration.
    It works out that for every 500 I over contribute my monthly goes down by about €5 which means that after 8 1/3 years I have my money back in reduced contributions.
    And I compound the savings in to extra contributions, 505, 510, 515 etc as each month passes so the savings increase.
    This suits me as I prefer to have less of a monthly liability to be able to handle unexpected income deviations etc...might not suit everyone.

Would you not get Freesat instead?

AFAIK you can use the sky dish and receiver and you get all the major UK channels.

You can get the Irish channels online or through Saorview.

I'm a complete newb when it comes to all that stuff, I must do a bit of reading

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

ImARebel wrote: »
    I'm a complete newb when it comes to all that stuff, I must do a bit of reading

Some TVs sold in ireland have a free sat receiver built in. Our samsung tv, bought last october, has it and by connecting up a hard drive we can record etc.
    The interface is not as good as with sky/virgin media.

That said, we still pay for a virgin media tv subscription.

Some TVs sold in ireland have a free sat receiver built in. Our samsung tv, bought last october, has it and by connecting up a hard drive we can record etc.
    The interface is not as good as with sky/virgin media.

That said, we still pay for a virgin media tv subscription.

Our telly is as old as the hills, doesn't have anyhting like that, we use a chromecast to stream from our phones if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

kerryjack wrote: »

50 diesel a month?
    Apologies thats 50 a week and 50 for kids activities a week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ezra Wibberley

Mortgage €613.99
    Home Insurance €43.72
    Mortgage Protection €15.15
    Netflix €14.99
    Life Insurance €40.79
    Internet €25
    Mobile €60
    Car Loan €152.33
    Pet Insurance €26
    DFS Furniture Repayment €75.36
    Pension €100 (by direct debit... this excludes the employer pension, but that's not from take home)
    Webhosting €12.99
    Sky €32
    Spotify €14.99
    Credit Card €100

And after that it varies depending on what the month needs.... dog food, dog minding, petrol, car tax, car insurance. There are also my wife's loans and expenses as currently a 2 person 1 income household.

When I eventually pay off the credit card, that 100 a month will go to a mortgage overpayment.

Advertisement