Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you spend a month before you actually buy anything?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

92 posts about personal finance and only one person has used the work 'pension' (and that was edited in later!). I don't have a pension but I don't plan on retiring either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Scotty # wrote: »
    92 posts about personal finance and only one person has used the work 'pension' (and that was edited in later!). I don't have a pension but I don't plan on retiring either.

I reckon as pension is deducted at source it is not considered a real spend in the context of this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Mine comes off gross. Private one matched by employer. That money never enters my account

blackbox wrote: »
    In my mind, if you can't afford a car without a loan, you can't afford it.
    There are pro's and con's to both but most financial advisors will tell you it is better to take the loan so you still have your money available to you should you need it. Extensions, attic conversions, cars, anything that will still have a value after the debt is cleared is generally better to borrow for. Marriage, holidays, Christmas, one off's that have no future value are better to save for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Mine comes off gross. Private one matched by employer. That money never enters my account

I’m the same, currently paying c. €900 from my gross into a pension and €1400 covers my share of the bills; mortgage, various insurances, household bills etc

The rest is discretionary spending and savings.

• Advertisement

I pay my rent six months in advance but if I didn't, it's $700 rent, $40-70 electricity, and $100 health insurance.

My rent includes internet, tv etc. My moped was paid for with cash. No tax on it or at least I don't know about it, and petrol is around $20/month. I don't bother with pension.

Not too bad I guess.

blackbox wrote: »
    In my mind, if you can't afford a car without a loan, you can't afford it.

Nonsense, if you can afford your repayments you can afford the car.

I get car loans even though I could buy for cash as it’s very bad financial management to use a load of your cash to buy things like a car. Putting some cash in as a deposit and getting a loan for the rest is far more sensible.

Nonsense, if you can afford your repayments you can afford the car.

I get car loans even though I could buy for cash as it’s very bad financial management to use a load of your cash to buy things like a car. Putting some cash in as a deposit and getting a loan for the rest is far more sensible.

Not all your cash, but if you can buy outright and have your emergency fund or whatever, it's good surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I was thinking the very same!

Groceries €210.00 per week
    Diesel €280.00
    Toll €70.00
    Mortgage €700.00
    Gas €63.00
    Electricity €162.00
    Car Insurance €175.00
    Car Loan €265.00
    House Insurance €43.90
    Mortgage cover €28.45
    Phones €60.00
    Kids phones €50.00
    Panda €74.00 every 3 months
    SKY Digital €55.00
    Broadband €45.00
    BT Sport €27.50
    Netflix €13.99
    Amazon Prime €9.00
    Kids Extra Curricular €120.00 sports, classes, etc
    Savings €800.00

Not counting incidentals like take-outs, clothing, medical, dentist, social life, etc, etc, etc.

So about €2.5k not counting savings. Based on two adults and two teenagers.

If it was a thread in budgeting you be correct but it ain't. Read the thread title

If it was a thread in budgeting you be correct but it ain't. Read the thread title
    Well in that case the answer is ZERO and the answer for everyone else in the thread is also ZERO.

Unless you can give me some examples of how you spend your money without buying anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Well in that case the answer is ZERO and the answer for everyone else in the thread is also ZERO.

Unless you can give me some examples of how you spend your money without buying anything?

Well I would agree with you and I think a poster early on said as much

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

tiger must be roaring for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Rent €650
    Electricity & gas €200
    Waste €40
    Health Insurance €120
    Amazon/Netflix/Spotify/Google Play Music/MS Office €50
    BIK €100

Mrs pays the other half of the rent and the TV package and work pay the mobile bill and car/fuel.

_

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

On what planet is 400 euro a crazy amount for a car repayment? It’s a very normal amount.
    All of my cars have been All bought outright :p

Usually because they are valued at less than annual costs of Insurance + Motor Tax + NCT

A bit like the way that over the years I've spend as much on TV licences as on TV's :mad:

Ye Olde Car Sticker
    It may be old, but it's paid for and in front of you

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

Thanks for all replies, and glad to see the thread going off topic and back on again.

My question was what you spend before you buy anything, as in the direct debits and such as they go out every month. I am aware that they are in essence a repayment for good/services bought that continue to accrue in the year, but they still go out whether I earn 100K or am on the dole.

As for the car loan, no not a particularly large car but a nice car and I did save for a car once but found that the effort of saving and then buying Vs just getting a loan and topping up a new car was similar.

I forgot my own pension and also LPT, they add another 100 out of the account every month also. I dont have health insurance as I did before and it got me exactly d1ck for the few years I had it.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Mortgage: 840
    Car loans: 470 (for 2 cars, overpaying to clear them quicker)
    Mobile phones & insurance: 140 (2 phones)
    Health Insurance: 87 (2 adults, 2 kids. Husband's employer pays most of it and we pay shortfall)
    Electricity & Gas: 94
    Car insurance: 37
    Tv/Broadband/Landline: 64
    Life insurance: 71
    Home insurance: 24 (contents only, in apartment)
    Management fees: 155
    Tolls: 100
    Diesel: 200
    Groceries: about 400

So roughly 2700 per month. That's for a family of 2 adults and 2 kids, my husband is the sole earner. Trying to save about 800 per month for a house deposit on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Rent: €520
    Electric Bill Share: €30-€40 (roughly)
    Phone Bill: €45
    Wifi/TV Package Share: €15
    Netflix/Spotify: €20
    Car Insurance: €55
    Toll: €20 (roughly)
    Postgrad Loan Repayment: €120

Toots wrote: »
    Health Insurance: 87 (2 adults, 2 kids. Husband's employer pays most of it and we pay shortfall)

So roughly 2700 per month. That's for a family of 2 adults and 2 kids, my husband is the sole earner. Trying to save about 800 per month for a house deposit on top of that.

Jesus, that is some going!!! Fair play to save on top of all that.

Just a curious question looking at myself, thinking I am mad.

Mortgage is around 900, plus 100 for the add ons.
    Car loan is another 400.
    Bills 250
    Phone and Tv (netflix etc) 120
    Savings 500
    other debits 100

All before I actually buy a thing!!

Is this Normal.

And to those who asked, no bills are just gas and elec, Gas is around 150 a month and elec is around 100. House is 2200sq foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I forgot my own pension and also LPT, they add another 100 out of the account every month also. I dont have health insurance as I did before and it got me exactly d1ck for the few years I had it.

Health insurance is one of the purchases that I'm very grateful to get bad value from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Health insurance is useless if you've a GP that won't use it. I'd love to see what really goes on with all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

I pay car/home insurance etc. up front leaves:
    116Euro - medical insurance
    55Euro - Broadband
    130Euro - Diesel
    330Euro - Child minder( not full week & after school)
    45Euro Property tax & waste

Total: 706Euro

Mrs pays gas & electricity( about 100 and 120Euro respectively) per month on avg and 15Euro a month mobile and 50Euro Diesel
    Total Household = 991Euro

Health insurance is one of the purchases that I'm very grateful to get bad value from.

I mean as I still had to wait ages for visits, bad service etc.

.............I dont have health insurance as I did before and it got me exactly d1ck for the few years I had it.

I do hope never to have to claim on my own health insurance tbh.
    So too my critical illness cover and income protection policies :)
    My folks got great "value" from the VHI, months and months of cancer treatment and some heart disease treatments thrown in too.
    My mum would definitely have preferred to have gotten exactly nothing instead from the policy I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Rent: €300
    Savings: €400
    Petrol: €200
    Food: €200
    Tolls: €80
    Car Insurance: €55
    Electric Bill Share: €40
    Netflix/Spotify: €25
    Wifi/TV Package Share: €20

I have a good bit of disposable income after this for weekends away/gigs/nights out, etc. I'd be living to work if I didn't have these.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

The following is split between the wife and I.

Mortgage - €950
    Car loan - €350 (2 cars)
    Car insurance - €165 (2 cars)
    Fuel - €450 (2 cars)
    Tolls & Parking - €120 (2 cars)
    Health Insurance - €40
    Home Insurance - €50
    Phone bill - €130 (2 phones)
    Entertainment - €75 (Sky, Netflix & Spotify)
    Internet - €50
    Food - €250
    Gas + Electricity - €150
    Loans - €400

Total - €3180

Savings changes every month but is approx. €1500

Then we both get about €350 for ourselves for the month, for eating out, buying stuff for ourselves or each other etc....

Then you have Car tax that pops up once a year
    Maintenance costs on cars (services and repairs)
    Repairs on the house
    etc......

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭holliehobbie

Toots wrote: »

That's very expensive for two phones. And you're paying for a landline as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

That's very expensive for two phones. And you're paying for a landline as well?

Not expensive at all considering it includes insurance.
    Probably 2 phones with 3 Mobile on their €60 a month plan and there about €10 for each phone on insurance. About standard prices.

I pay about €130 on 2 phones and that doesn't include insurance.

Landline probably comes free with the Broadband and TV bundle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Some people have such big car loans. I'll never understand getting a huge loan for a new car. Or PCP. Seems like such a waste. But then again I'm not hugely into cars.

Rent: €450 (It's €900 in total, boyfriend pays half)

Phone credit: €20

AA Membership: €12. Don't really know why I pay this. But I've an old car and would be handy if something ever happened. Plus I get a discount with my insurance.

Stock: €400. I put approx €400 per month into a savings scheme at work where we get money off stock. A percentage of this is taxed every 6 months but not much really.

Pension: €280. Work matches this.

Health and dental insurance: Paid by work. I pay BIK but not sure how much.

Gas/electricity: About €55 per month (boyfriend pays other half)

Bins: Landlady pays

Loans: None thankfully. Car and phone bought outright.

Wifi: €27 (boyfriend pays other half)

Savings: €600 per month into the credit union. Himself saves around the same amount separately.

Petrol: This depends but usually about €60 per month.

I pay my car tax and insurance in full every year. Boyfriend pays for Netflix. Free gym and exercise classes at work.

Usually spend about €120 per month in work canteen and no idea how much we spend on food at home as we just tend to buy stuff as we need it.

Most of my money goes on eating in restaurants/cafes and holidays. Still manage to save though thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Not expensive at all considering it includes insurance.
    Probably 2 phones with 3 Mobile on their €60 a month plan and there about €10 for each phone on insurance. About standard prices.

I pay about €130 on 2 phones and that doesn't include insurance.

Landline probably comes free with the Broadband and TV bundle.

That does seem like a lot! Mine is €20 a month. Phone cost about €450 outright. I don't have insurance though.

Advertisement