Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips 55" OLED 999 One Day Only

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Re warranty, does not make a difference if its a year, two years, three years etc.
    You have your statutory rights, but if you feel more comfortable with 5/6year/whatever shop warranty then shop there but remember your statutory rights are massive in Ireland

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Shred

slave1 wrote: »
    Re warranty, does not make a difference if its a year, two years, three years etc.
    You have your statutory rights, but if you feel more comfortable with 5/6year/whatever shop warranty then shop there but remember your statutory rights are massive in Ireland

Spot on!

Oh and FWIW, I have the LG 2017 B7 OLED and it's an amazing set, it still impresses me to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,258 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

RoboRat wrote: »
    Old Philips TV's were great, I still have my 32" ambilight working perfectly over 10 years later. I wouldn't trust the new stuff as it's not really Phillips, they disbanded the TV's and AV a few years ago if memory serves me right.

they sold the Philips name in 2011.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

theteal wrote: »
    Nearly all the Brands lower range models are made by Vestel. Turkish iirc. The higher end will be developed and manufactured in-house. This particular model would be higher-end.
    Philips TV's are licenced/owned/made by TPVision, who are based in Hong Kong. Of course, you could be right in that maybe they sublicence Vestel to make their lower end stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,490 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Interesting if Brexit goes ahead how RS would honor the 6 year warranty south of the border and also say if your tv develops a fault now do you have to courier or drive it back to Belfast? Not such a big issue with an amp or speakers but a big delicate TV that might work out expensive!

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

positron wrote: »
    RS doesn't always price match - someone in HUKD quoted RS Belfast wouldn't price match Costco offer stating Costco doesn't deliver to Belfast. They also wouldn't price match if the other seller is offering less than 6 years warranty.

RS Belfast is still a great bunch of guys to deal with, very helpful!

Hi Guys,

I rarely post outside our own forum but I just spotted this whilst lurking around Boards ( Yep, I am that sad!)

Thanks Positron in the first instance - Flattery gets you everywhere ;) - but just a couple of things - we didn't match that specific costco deal locally as Costco don't deliver to any part of Ireland and their warranty is specifically only for the UK mainland.

On the warranty / price-beat issue that someone else raised, when we initially moved from our 5 Year warranty to the 6 year on occasion we did not price beat competitor's 5 year warranties - however now our policy is that the offer has to be broadly the same and specifically we now include 5 year warranties - but of course again the offer has to be available for delivery to Ireland!

Thanks again guys,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

unklerosco wrote: »
    6yr warranty is a genius way of getting around the price match... no one else offers 6 years so it's very hard to get a like for like quote. Regardless, they are easily the best to deal with. I've purchased 3 TV's from them (one a LG 65" OLED), surround sound system, hifi and more and they are a pleasure to deal with!

And regarding OLED, it is honestly one of the best investments you can make for entertainment... After 2 years I'm still blown away by the pic quality.

Unkle,

long time ;)

Thanks for the kind words as well - really appreciated and as per my previous post, yep initially we did not price beat some 5 year warranties, but we now specifically match competitors 5 Years against our 6 year :)

..and yep - OLED is M E G A..

Thanks again,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

slave1 wrote: »

Hi Slave,

agreed but once you have a specific extended warranty ( to be fair not necessarily ours) the burden on the Customer of proving that any issue which arises after 6 months post purchase is a manufacturing issue is eased and the store warranty should kick in to save the Customer any liability to prove that the fault is a manufacturing issue..

..anyway, if it's free, grab it :D

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Interesting if Brexit goes ahead how RS would honor the 6 year warranty south of the border and also say if your tv develops a fault now do you have to courier or drive it back to Belfast? Not such a big issue with an amp or speakers but a big delicate TV that might work out expensive!

And last post for now..

Our 6 Year TV Guarantee for TV's of 39" and over includes an 'At Home' service across all Ireland - meaning that we will either try to repair the TV in your home or nowadays more commonly we will arrange collection of your TV by an authorised service agent, and have it repaired and returned to you free of charge.

On Brexit - what a disaster! but again we have already made arrangements to ensure our cover remains unchanged whatever the outcome - our main service agent covers the whole of Ireland on all our brands - the only exception is Hisense - Hisense only look after the first 12 months of warranty in the ROI for us and thereafter we do not have an agent that covers Hisense in the ROI.

At the moment we are courier collecting Hisense in years 2-6 and courier returning them but it's not an ideal situation and our customer service is not as we would like it in these instances - we are discussing this with Hisense and looking for a solution - but there is an outside possibility (unrelated to Brexit!) that we will not be able to continue to offer a 6 year warranty on Hisense TV - but of course all existing guarantees will be honoured..

thanks again - 2 interesting points and thanks for giving us the opportunity to address them..

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

• Registered Users Posts: 12,490 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

And last post for now..

Our 6 Year TV Guarantee for TV's of 39" and over includes an 'At Home' service across all Ireland - meaning that we will either try to repair the TV in your home or nowadays more commonly we will arrange collection of your TV by an authorised service agent, and have it repaired and returned to you free of charge.

On Brexit - what a disaster! but again we have already made arrangements to ensure our cover remains unchanged whatever the outcome - our main service agent covers the whole of Ireland on all our brands - the only exception is Hisense - Hisense only look after the first 12 months of warranty in the ROI for us and thereafter we do not have an agent that covers Hisense in the ROI.

At the moment we are courier collecting Hisense in years 2-6 and courier returning them but it's not an ideal situation and our customer service is not as we would like it in these instances - we are discussing this with Hisense and looking for a solution - but there is an outside possibility (unrelated to Brexit!) that we will not be able to continue to offer a 6 year warranty on Hisense TV - but of course all existing guarantees will be honoured..

thanks again - 2 interesting points and thanks for giving us the opportunity to address them..

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Thanks for the indepth answer John, good to see you have planned for Brexit and continued support for your customers, am I right in saying that you use official repair agents of say LG or Panasonic for any warranty work but with Hisense they won't support in ROI but will in NI?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭positron

Hi Guys,

I rarely post outside our own forum but I just spotted this whilst lurking around Boards ( Yep, I am that sad!)

Thanks Positron in the first instance - Flattery gets you everywhere ;) - but just a couple of things - we didn't match that specific costco deal locally as Costco don't deliver to any part of Ireland and their warranty is specifically only for the UK mainland.

On the warranty / price-beat issue that someone else raised, when we initially moved from our 5 Year warranty to the 6 year on occasion we did not price beat competitor's 5 year warranties - however now our policy is that the offer has to be broadly the same and specifically we now include 5 year warranties - but of course again the offer has to be available for delivery to Ireland!

Thanks again guys,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Thanks for clarifying these points - I was only quoting what I read elsewhere,
    a bit like playing chinese whispers.

Unfortunately for us in the Republic, there is no mad rush from UK based retailers in proving us a any decent prices and long warranty. You guys are the only one providing that quality of the service in this island, and thank you for that.

Thanks for the indepth answer John, good to see you have planned for Brexit and continued support for your customers, am I right in saying that you use official repair agents of say LG or Panasonic for any warranty work but with Hisense they won't support in ROI but will in NI?

Thanks Snake :D

We ONLY work with authorised service agents, which to be honest can sometimes be a PITA as there are some excellent independent service agents - but our logic is that it is always best to only use Authorised agents when a unit is under warranty to avoid any potential conflict with the manufacturers.

With regard to Hisense - and I can only speak specifically of our own arrangements and not for any other retailers, Hisense do cover the whole Island for the 1st year - thereafter we have to collect the TV's and deliver them to an ( excellent) NI based agent and then we redeliver them to the Customer when the service is complete - luckily these instances are rare!

Outside warranty we have very few issues but again re what agents there are a couple of Dublin based service companies that we recommend as reliable and relatively inexpensive and they are Plasmacare.ie ( Nangor Road) and Lawless Brothers in Malahide..

Thanks again for the platform and the kind words - really appreciated!

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

So where are all the £999 OLEDs John?!??!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Dazzy wrote: »
    The PLA also has better speakers and a woofer.
    Yeah, I got the OLED55B8SLC from PC World for about €1300 in the winter sale.
    The built in rear speakers are amazing, high on bass.
    The picture quality is amazing on YouTube & Netflix 4K content.
    Even HD is dramatically upscaled.
    Playing 4K movies via an external HDD tops the lot. Jeez it was absolutely pristine. I watched the movies The Martian and Life last weekend and was totally blown away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Yeah, I got the OLED55B8SLC from PC World for about €1300 in the winter sale.
    The built in rear speakers are amazing, high on bass.
    The picture quality is amazing on YouTube & Netflix 4K content.
    Even HD is dramatically upscaled.
    Playing 4K movies via an external HDD tops the lot. Jeez it was absolutely pristine. I watched the movies The Martian and Life last weekend and was totally blown away.

Get a quality rip of Gladiator or 300. It's like watching new movies!

Advertisement