Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips 55" OLED 999 One Day Only

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,114 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

£999 Sterling BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Keep in mind that:

£2000 Price tag was on April 10 - April 13 of 2018.

After April 13, 2018 it fell in price to a stable £1799
    Then in May 15, it fell further to £1499
    Then after few random sales/drops it stabilized at new price of £1199

So in reality the product page is a bit misleading, it's not £2000 drop to £999

It's £1199 to £999

Seeing the trend of it's pricing - it will probably go back up in price in few days and then soon-ish stabilize at £999.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Still not bad for a proper branded OLED to be £999, if it normalises around that figure a lot of people will be happy.

I couldn't trust the wife and kids with one though so not for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

My last Philips lasted only 2 years so I wouldn't touch them again. Their TV's are made under licence from some Dutch company.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

D3V!L wrote: »
    My last Philips lasted only 2 years so I wouldn't touch them again. Their TV's are made under licence from some Dutch company.

My mate had a desperate time of it with a Phillips TV also, technicians, shipping it back and forth, was a disaster...

Ended up getting his money back and getting a Sony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Would the Phillips Oled be upto scratch with LG Oled?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

LG far superior and the leading light (pardon the pun) for this technology

I got the LG 55B8 OLED at christmas. It was reduced to €1600 and well worth the investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Old Philips TV's were great, I still have my 32" ambilight working perfectly over 10 years later. I wouldn't trust the new stuff as it's not really Phillips, they disbanded the TV's and AV a few years ago if memory serves me right.

I got the LG 55B8 OLED at christmas. It was reduced to €1600 and well worth the investment.
    Is that the LG OLED55B8SLC model ?

• Advertisement

Is that the LG OLED55B8SLC model ?

Nope, I got the LG OLED55B8PLA, same thing but a nicer stand in my opinion. Also hides cables better.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,180 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The panel will still be an LG panel, LG make all OLED panels far as I'm aware.

Nope, I got the LG OLED55B8PLA, same thing but a nicer stand in my opinion. Also hides cables better.

Very nice, gets a fantastic review in which.co.uk
    I was looking at the 55B8SLC in Harvey’s at €1299, which is why I was asking as thinking of purchasing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

The amazon reviews on this aren’t great . Seems to be an issue with crashing , and no software updates to fix it. I’d rather spend the extra €400 to buy an LG from richersounds . Comes with a 6 year warranty also

The amazon reviews on this aren’t great . Seems to be an issue with crashing , and no software updates to fix it. I’d rather spend the extra €400 to buy an LG from richersounds . Comes with a 6 year warranty also

The 6 year warranty is a massive incentive alright

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

The PLA also has better speakers and a woofer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,200 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Very nice, gets a fantastic review in which.co.uk
    I was looking at the 55B8SLC in Harvey’s at €1299, which is why I was asking as thinking of purchasing

It might be worth contacting Richer Sounds in their forum on here about a price beat of this offer from Costco in the UK. Their UK branch was instructed to do a price beat of £949 (€1087) on the TV.

HUKD source

Seems RS are using the PLA version to price match (HUKD buyers say so) rather than the SLC model on sale in Costco & Harvey Norman. The PLA is supposed to be better.
    The stands are different as above.

Also, according to the LG website:

OLED55B8PLA gets the "True Colour Accuracy Pro" system, whereas
    OLED55B8SLC only has "True Colour Accuracy" system.

SLC has a 20W 2 speaker system.
    PLA has a 40W 2.2 system. It seems the extra wattage is in the subwoofers.

PLA has wifi direct

SLC sits 24mm higher because of the stand and the stand is much deeper (319mm vs 220mm)

Edit: Forgot to mention, you also get the 6 year year RS warranty rather than the standard 2 year with Harveys. Definitely worth investigating.

I would spend a little extra on a 2018 LG B8 in a B&M store. For newness and ease of returns more than anything.

The 55" B8 is €1300-1350 in a few places, there's scope to haggle below that.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Jesper

So the Phillips works out at about €1,200 delivered.
    Anyone know how this TV compares to

LG 55" 4K Ultra HD OLED Smart TV | OLED55B8SLC.

They are down to €1,299 at present (2017 model) and I was also looking at the 2018 model (new processer etc.)

LG 55" 4K UHD HDR OLED Smart TV | OLED55C8PLA (€1,688)

If HN are selling for €1300 then Currys might price match. The only issue might be that HN have the SLC while Currys have the PLA model.
    Currys also include a 5 year guarantee which I would be happy to pay extra for.

I have the 65" B8 and I am delighted with it. I got mine from Currys and paid about €70 extra over Power City but I wanted the extra warranty.

• Advertisement

Jesper wrote: »
    So the Phillips works out at about €1,200 delivered.
    Anyone know how this TV compares to

LG 55" 4K Ultra HD OLED Smart TV | OLED55B8SLC.

They are down to €1,299 at present (2017 model) and I was also looking at the 2018 model (new processer etc.)

LG 55" 4K UHD HDR OLED Smart TV | OLED55C8PLA (€1,688)

I did a lot of research before I bought mine and the LG was the best at that price point so I would definitely recommend the LG.

The SLC version is only €100 more in HN so I wouldn't even consider the Philips. If you can get Currys down to €1300 for the PLA then even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭positron

"This item does not ship to UK - Northern Ireland." according to Amazon.

There's deal on HUKD about LG b8 from Costco for £950, again, won't ship to North or here.

I guess it's a matter of waiting couple of more months, 55" OLED prices have just started dropping below £1000 mark - but unfortunately most UK sellers won't ship 50" or larger to Ireland / North, so it will be a few years before prices come down to reasonable levels here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Don’t use PW for anything like this. I had an item shipped down before Xmas and it was damaged by PW, they washed their hands of it and said that it wasn’t their problem despite having taped up the box. Ask Richer Sounds to quote you, it will work out cheaper in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The panel will still be an LG panel, LG make all OLED panels far as I'm aware.

Was just about to post this.
    Currently all OLED panels are LG, the hardware driving the panels is manufacturer specific however.

Dazzy wrote: »
    If HN are selling for €1300 then Currys might price match. The only issue might be that HN have the SLC while Currys have the PLA model.
    Currys also include a 5 year guarantee which I would be happy to pay extra for.

I have the 65" B8 and I am delighted with it. I got mine from Currys and paid about €70 extra over Power City but I wanted the extra warranty.

If anyone is selling at a good price, give the lads over on the Richersounds forum a shout.
    They will price match and their warranty is 6yrs!
    On top of that their knowledge and support is top notch ;)

banie01 wrote: »
    If anyone is selling at a good price, give the lads over on the Richersounds forum a shout.
    They will price match and their warranty is 6yrs!
    On top of that their knowledge and support is top notch ;)

RS have a great reputation. Do they deliver or would you have to collect?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭positron

RS doesn't always price match - someone in HUKD quoted RS Belfast wouldn't price match Costco offer stating Costco doesn't deliver to Belfast. They also wouldn't price match if the other seller is offering less than 6 years warranty.

RS Belfast is still a great bunch of guys to deal with, very helpful!

Dazzy wrote: »
    RS have a great reputation. Do they deliver or would you have to collect?

They deliver, and very reasonably too.
    Think it was €6.99 on my lat TV from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

positron wrote: »
    RS doesn't always price match - someone in HUKD quoted RS Belfast wouldn't price match Costco offer stating Costco doesn't deliver to Belfast. They also wouldn't price match if the other seller is offering less than 6 years warranty.

6yr warranty is a genius way of getting around the price match... no one else offers 6 years so it's very hard to get a like for like quote. Regardless, they are easily the best to deal with. I've purchased 3 TV's from them (one a LG 65" OLED), surround sound system, hifi and more and they are a pleasure to deal with!

And regarding OLED, it is honestly one of the best investments you can make for entertainment... After 2 years I'm still blown away by the pic quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Nearly all the Brands lower range models are made by Vestel. Turkish iirc. The higher end will be developed and manufactured in-house. This particular model would be higher-end.
    Would the Phillips Oled be upto scratch with LG Oled?
    LG far superior and the leading light (pardon the pun) for this technology

LG Display (different section to everyday LG) make all the OLED panels in today's TVs. As for far superior? They're good value for money features wise but that's very much to hide that fact that they're a bit behind Pana and Sony in the colour/picture processing department. I've never been a fan of LG build quality tbh.

Also, as this is Philips I assume it's Android TV. It may be an idea to play with one in the flesh to see how you like it. Android TV can get laggy, Sony's have the same trouble.

Advertisement