Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT - tyres

Options
2»

Comments

damon5 wrote: »
    Over the years have had a pass advisory to replace the front and rear tires because of the age even though they had great meat on them,find it odd though then that nothing has ever been said regarding the age,condition of the spare wheel .....

This is interesting! My spare tyre has been sitting idle in its position in the boot of my car for almost 8 years. Never been used since I bought the car new. Should I have it replaced purely because of age?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

This is interesting! My spare tyre has been sitting idle in its position in the boot of my car for almost 8 years. Never been used since I bought the car new. Should I have it replaced purely because of age?

A spare is sort of different in a way as you wouldn't leave it on. 80km/h top speed and only to be used to get you to get the correct tyre back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

They get pretty arsey if your tyres are over 6 years old.

There is absolutely no reason why you'd drive on tyres that old. Tyres last on average 30kkm, that's 5kkm per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

obi604 wrote: »
    I have the valid disk now until March 2020, which to me means the car is road worthy until then.
    But, Does the above advise mean that if I were stoppped by guards etc I could have issues or issues with insurance, as I was given an advisory.

Nonsense. It means that it was roadworthy on the day of the test and you don't have to bring it to the test until March 2020.

No test will guarantee roadworthiness in future. Nor will a Guarda look at the date of your test if the tyres are bald.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭9935452

grogi wrote: »
    They get pretty arsey if your tyres are over 6 years old.

There is absolutely no reason why you'd drive on tyres that old. Tyres last on average 30kkm, that's 5kkm per year.

I got 58k miles out of a set of tyres at one stage. Tracking camber etc were perfect.
    Tyres were firestone firehawks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭damon5

A spare is sort of different in a way as you wouldn't leave it on. 80km/h top speed and only to be used to get you to get the correct tyre back on.

Is,nt that the top speed for a space saver wheel that your refering to and not a full size tyre spare ?

Advertisement