Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT - tyres

Options
  • 28-01-2019 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭

If your tyres fail the NCT due to low thread, is the re test a visual or does it have go through the full test again and pay 28 euro etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Tyre fails are only a visual re-inspection with no booking needed. Tyres below the legal limit (NCT fail threshold) are now a "fail dangerous" item and you will be advised not to drive your car away from the test center. I'm not sure how rigidly enforced it is, but it could happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Johnny Red Cab

They get pretty arsey if your tyres are over 6 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭obi604

Ok. But even still. Anything to do with tyre depth or age is just a visual, yeah?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Pops_20

They will list this as an advisory on the sheet, but I've never experienced them getting "arsey" with me for my 6+ year old tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Quick question re the advisory on tyres.
    If you're given an advisory re the age of the tyres and told "there's loads of thread on them but he has to give the advisory", what happens the next NCT if you have the same tyres (still with loads of meat on them) Is it just another advisory?

Yes. It just continues on as an advisory.

I had a narky tester saying he wished he could have failed them for the age.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Lol, lads, try sticking it to the road with 6/7 year old tyres with a good 5mm of thread. Or driving anywhere in a hurry. You'll wish you had 2nd hand tyres with 3mm.... The cheapest Chinese remoulds are better than old tyres.

If I had my way, it'd be a visual fail four years from the tyre's dot code..

Aged tyres are a pain in the hole. They're worse than worn tyres in every aspect outside of water dispersal.
    The tyre hardens, making it conform less to the surface and undoing any advantages it's remaining siping might've had over a worn tyre come dodgy or cold conditions.
    The harder tyre will also blow out more quickly during low pressure driving.

Oh the world is blessed I can't get into the NCT and be the uptight little bollix I aspire to be...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...Oh the world is blessed I can't get into the NCT and be the uptight little bollix I aspire to be...

Reggie, every day you inspire me to new heights of automotive nerditude. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭9935452

Pops_20 wrote: »
    They will list this as an advisory on the sheet, but I've never experienced them getting "arsey" with me for my 6+ year old tyres.

I had a set of tyres on the car that were 8 years old but had never been on the car before so effectively were brand new.

Because they looked brand new they never checked the date on them and wasnt listed on the nct advisory sheet

• Advertisement

What is an NCT “pass advisory”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

obi604 wrote: »

It means you passed but really need to give that item some attention in the near future

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Brought my car with 8 year old tyres into tyreland during the week and I was told there's nothing wrong with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They tell you something is old or worn and may well need changing at some point in the near future.

Tyre age, thread dept getting low but still legal.

People tend to just do things when they're broken and with tyres I see most don't even check pressure.

Many driving around on slicks too.

dan1895 wrote: »
    Brought my car with 8 year old tyres into tyreland during the week and I was told there's nothing wrong with them.

They can crack and the rubber becomes perished and gives less grip.

They may well have plenty of thread but they do only have a certain life span.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Then tyre fitters shouldnt legally be allowed supply/fit them if they’re an nct issue

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    Then tyre fitters shouldnt legally be allowed supply/fit them if they’re an nct issue

Do you mean part worn?

If they have the legal thread dept then it's deemed ok.

It can be a bit hit and miss.

These tyres aren't examined to see were they abused or cracking etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Do you mean part worn?

If they have the legal thread dept then it's deemed ok.

It can be a bit hit and miss.

These tyres aren't examined to see were they abused or cracking etc.

Nope, never used tyres. Happened me recently, got the advisory on the nct sheet, explained tyres were only a few months old to me, tester shrugged said not to worry about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭damon5

Over the years have had a pass advisory to replace the front and rear tires because of the age even though they had great meat on them,find it odd though then that nothing has ever been said regarding the age,condition of the spare wheel .....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

My car in for service during the week, still has original rears on and it's a 132, asked them to have a look at them and they said they were perfectly fine, I replaced the fronts last week

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

They can crack and the rubber becomes perished and gives less grip.

They may well have plenty of thread but they do only have a certain life span.

I know that which is why I offered someone money for new ones but he said there was nothing wrong with what's on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If the car is garaged ie. out of the light, then they should be ok.

elperello wrote: »
    If the car is garaged ie. out of the light, then they should be ok.

No but when parked up would only be in direct sunlight for an hour or two in the morning during the summer and I don't do much mileage to be fair.

I'd take the word of the man in the trade who examined the tyres and say you are ok.

I know that which is why I offered someone money for new ones but he said there was nothing wrong with what's on it.

Nice honest place but still no matter what they will deteriorate over time use or no use.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

Cracks are not the only sign of an old tyre with deteriorated grip. Some rubber gets stone hard without any visible cracking and visual inspection can't say how much it got harder from original state. Only sign of this is tyre losing grip much earlier than before(spinning wheels in wet/hills, or unstable front or rear in a roundabout/bend when pushed, etc)

What I described above may happen even with tyres without age problem.Once I bought 4 Michelin Primacy HP tyres with close production date(3-4 moths max). They got stone hard after wearing first1-1.5 mm after 10000 km. They didn't get worn at all in next 15000 km. Lower grip became obvious and road noise was increased. It could be a bad batch or not but it is something drivers should be keeping an eye on when it come to tyres.

Hi

I passed my NCT yesterday. I see the printout at the top says:

“NCT Report: PASS ADVISORY”

Presume this means, you passed but we are giving you some advise. The advise is:

“Depth of thread less than 3.0mm”

I have the valid disk now until March 2020, which to me means the car is road worthy until then.
    But, Does the above advise mean that if I were stoppped by guards etc I could have issues or issues with insurance, as I was given an advisory.

No issues except you will need to change the tyres when tread depth is 1.6mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Anjobe

I have the valid disk now until March 2020, which to me means the car is road worthy until then.

No, it just means your car was road worthy while it was being tested, nothing more.
    elperello wrote: »
    No issues except you will need to change the tyres when tread depth is 1.6mm.

Legal limit is 1.6mm but best practice now is to change tyres at 3mm, hence the advisory. Tyres are generally wider now than when the 1.6mm limit was set, and their ability to clear water drops off sharply when the tread depth is less than 3mm.

• Advertisement

Anjobe wrote: »
    No, it just means your car was road worthy while it was being tested, nothing more.

Legal limit is 1.6mm but best practice now is to change tyres at 3mm, hence the advisory. Tyres are generally wider now than when the 1.6mm limit was set, and their ability to clear water drops off sharply when the tread depth is less than 3mm.

Yes you can't be too careful with tyres.

Advertisement