Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1** 27th Jan Forward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

one thing I dont understand is why RTE use contractors to fill in for (certain contractor or staffer) presenters (examples dearbhail mcdonald, kathryn thomas, oliver callan), when there are capable RTE staffer presenters roaming the RTE corridors probably doing nothing who could be presenting these shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,319 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Questions nobody asks

Really need a Nepotism family tree made up to show how much corruption there is in rte

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

If you're going to write a book. I would suggest that you do some research. That way the book would be full of facts, rather than of speculation that might, or might not, be accurate..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,142 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Excellent synopsis Gineral, hard to disagree with any of it.

Lets take three programmes… Clare Byrne, Drivetime, and Ballsy’s programme.

These were handled by Sean ORourke, Mary Wilson, and Marian Finucane is the past and could be described as ‘flagship’

programmes.

What replaced them is a pale shadow of their predecessors- a mishmash of floss and fluff that only readers of ‘Heat’ might appreciate.

People flogging books, misery content, terrible attempts at ‘banter’’, unbalanced ‘debates’,more like shouting matches, and not so subtle reduction in actual airtime as the presenters struggle to sustain the shows for the two hours.

At this time the only semi serious programme on Rte1 is Morning Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭Field east

this whole thread has got very incestious, very group think and vert anti RD to the point that it comes down to he is not worth the circa €400,000 per annum and would be on much less if he was to take up a position elsewhere. I BEG TO DIFFER. He might get less working with another station but he could earn away north of the €400,000 by sales from writing books on his favourite topics/subjects, endorsing products, speaking engagements - think Bertie Ahearn/Bill Clinton/ Tony Blair.- , public appearances - product sales- expand the ‘ DArcy Mug’ concept eg Darcy scarves, Darcy cup and saucer, Darcy socks, Darcy insoles , design a line of clothes BUT WITH A PROFESSIONAL DESIGNER. All of the above should return a handy profit, he having such a high name recognition.

so we should all take a STEP BACK and be a bit more objective and hope that RAY soon clearly sees his potential out there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Yes, Ray would be in high demand as a speaker. His gifts as an orator, combined with his intellect, would put him in the top echelon of international speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭jelutong

Is he moonlighting as Boris Johnsons speech writer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Disclaimer: The following may contain speculation due to the highly secretive nature of the organisation in question and the lack of hard facts available.

Perhaps when the contractors agent negotiates their contract there is a clause within that states - 'When X contractor is on leave, they shall be replaced by a presenter from the same agent company'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Ray slagging a lad off for being unprofessional, not doing his research. (Aussie guy sent over to interview Adele). THe lack of self awareness is staggering!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Was just going to say that.

Its not even as if he's trolling us .

I don't think he's aware of how bad he is. 😕 . Giving out about some one not doing their research. .. imelda how long has your mother been dead....... she's not 😦😴

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭mountain

He should not have any problem if he applies for it - going on whoever wrote Boris’s last outing with a high level business grouping. All he has to do is to number the pages so that Borris can put them in order.

I don't know much about D'arcy and only hear him when i have to be in a certain office at the 3 to 4 ish hour.I try to avoid that hour in that office

Can someone explain why the agency RD and CB and others are with chose them? And why the people who are around RTE would would be OK as stand ins do not go and put themselves forward to the agency, or do they have to be discovered?

I would say it is the producer who says what CB covers, maybe they want a bumbling darcy cant use the buttons

I have noticed on other shows when the main presenter is away the jingle still says for example liveline with JD etc not the stand in. That is probably in the contract

It is about time that the relevant across party committee examines how RTE EXACTLY operates in relation to employment policy, how salaries are decided upon, the contract of employment| contract for employment conundrum, etc,etc, etc, etc,etc..

It is impossible to comment on Darcy’s employment status with RTE without seeing his contract.

But it would be EXTREMELY naieve of RTE to sign a contract for employment/service without putting an end date to it - because it cannot predict the future of programme continuing. Is each contract about a specific individual presenting a specific programme or what? And can such individuals nominate a standing?. Or are contracts for employment sooooooooo open ended that , for example, RD can be used to present any new/old programme. If then it should be a CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT

can you not get the employment policy through FOI?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I loved how yesterday he had the carpenter kid, Jessie, back on the show yesterday. The kid, fair play to him, is now making and selling wood Christmas trees. He's only 12 I think but knows his stuff. Ray on the other hand who probably doesn't know one end of a handsaw from the other and admitted on air that Jenny doesn't let him do any jobs around the house or garden as he messes things up proceeds to question the kid, something like such....

Ray - 'how tall are the trees?'

Jessie - 'about four foot high'

Ray - '*laughs* they can't be, it's on the table there so it's higher'

Jessie - 'they are four foot'

Ray - *proceeds to get out of his seat for a few seconds of dead air to stand against the tree and measure it, comes back to the mic and says* ah you're probably right, I'm not a tall person anyway, haha...'

Even if the friggin thing wasn't four foot high so what but to go out of your way to prove you're right only to accept you were wrong, that takes a special kind of @ss....

I heard that in the car….seemed like D’Arcy was reading a list of questions from a pre-prepared list( by someone else).

No rapport with the lad at all……uncomfortable stuff to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭avfc1874

That's because he's so petty. If anyone mentions his height for example. He's straight in with I'm 5 .8 and a half I'll have you know and then list off people who are shorter than him. .. I'm taller than tom cruise and Peter stringer.

He's very insecure if he has anyone on who has started a new fitness regime for example he always has to better their diet or exercise. Eg. I started not being able to do a press up and now i can do 15. Darcy that's not bad i can only do 25 or so after my 10 k and porridge 😤😩

• Advertisement

And on today's show, an enlightened talk with your two wans from 'a complete @rsehole....sorry, Aisling' AGAIN.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Probably bad timing for Brian May to be promoting a book given it's Freddie's 30th anniversary and that he doesn't like talking about it

Jesus, could this wan be any more D4 loiiike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭tampopo

It's not beyond the realms of what's possible I know there's something like 13 years between her and her next youngest sibling.

Her sister and mine were buddies in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,557 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Would Erica be looking for a free phone now?

The Nigerian lady talking to Ray is very sketchy on the details of why she left Nigeria and how she arrived in Ireland. "I don't want to talk about the details". This evasiveness if fairly typical in circumstances like this

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

well I can see the unvaccinated running to the centres after that

LIVE MIC RAY!!! 😂😂

• Advertisement

Ray does it again!

Going out on the air when the ad break is running, until his producer told him to flip the switch. If there was a prize for the most incompetent and highest paid person in the country, he'd win it hands down.

Advertisement