Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1** 27th Jan Forward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Excellent summing up of that fückked up station.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Another fcuk up by darcy.

Why doesn't dee bring him in and say ray you were shite on the telly you're shite on the radio. Get your runners and porridge and wokeness and jog on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭leath_dub

I just heard his new quiz for the first time today. Moher of God, who thought up that dross? Also, D'Arcy is so wooden when talking to the public, although he was well in his comfort zone talking to that poor couple talking about their dead child.

Is that part of RTE's "Public Service remit" - at least 1 cancer story/infant death per programme?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

Accidentally put on his show yesterday just as he was about to start a quiz. Honestly pressed 2 or 3 wrong buttons and then just laughed. Honestly I would wonder if someone in RTE is aware what is going on with how bad he is

500 k for a chronic bad show by a brutal presenter. Maddening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭amlinopta

First item on the promo a feature interview on motor neurone disease, as another week gets off to a positive start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Bit of cancer thrown into the mix too 👍

That of course after telling us what him and the family watched and did at the weekend and how non fussy of an eater he is by going through a list of foods he'd eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

The neck of Dee Forbes banging on about funding and the absolute Dribble that is the Ray D'Arcy show to think RTE really went all out to get him back really takes the biscuit.

Jaysus I wouldn’t mind the Dribble but paying the lad north of a 400k wedge is what gets me.

How can they justify that……..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Ray D'Arcy and Louis Walsh in the same studio at the same time 🤑

I caught a snippet of Callan's Kicks on Friday where he was impersonating doing D'Arcy 😂 They had him mess up his intro and play the theme for news at one instead.... Nailed it 🤣

I have noticed when D'Arcy did have Oliver or Mario in studio as soon as they started doing impressions of him his mood changed, he doesn't like it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭RINO87

Heard that on Friday too, had a right good dig at the show....was just short of mentioning the wages!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

This genius just discovered how to set an iPhone to silent.

What a bargain he was!

Pity he wouldn't ask advice from the 'young people' about how to work his desk controls!

Post edited by SpitfireIV on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Haven't heard Ray in a long time but I was in the car for about 10 mins today and the radio was on rte1. He went to a break at 3.58 and I thought that his timing for An Nuacht had finally improved, but no, as soon as the break ended he mumbled something about running behind with adbreaks but it was somebody else's fault and went straight into another break. He equally went to naucht at 4.02 which is probably not too late for him. Amateur stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I'd say he enjoyed reading out that death notice considering his screw up the other week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Darcey. Commiserating to Amelda may about the death of her mam after the fool told her that her mam was dead 3 weeks ago.

I wonder how many people he asked. If it was true this time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

According to D'Arcy Imeldas mother was 94 which would make her 47 when she gave birth.. Rip anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Field east

Never knew that RTE allow presenters to use a copious amount of laughing gas on their shows. The ray Darcy show is expensive enough without the added cost of laughing gas. Today most of the guests laughed their way through the show with dollops of laughing from Himself. It was the piths of a show today. I haven’t a clue why RTE still holD onto him . Any idea as to when his current contract is up . Or has revenue called foul on that arrangement and insisting that all presenters are employees of the station for tax purposes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

^ If they didn't renew D'Arcy's contract it would be an admission of the truth, that he's crap and they've been wasting money and he should never have been contracted in, in the first place. Took them 3 years to dump the TV show even though they knew it was rubbish from day one.

Of all the terrible contractors (from the same stable) in RTE, Ray is the absolute worst and would be the easiest to get rid of - or so you might think - As above, it would be a massive loss of face for RTE to get rid of him and then, consider this...If they did get rid what would happen? He has been outed as a rubbish presenter and the likelihood of him getting another position paying big money is slim. Prob end up with a €150k job somewhere (if lucky). The can would be well and truly opened, with worms everywhere! The Q's that would follow:- Why did RTE pay him so much for so long? - If D'Arcy can only get €150k elsewhere, what does that say about the RTE mantra - 'We have to pay the contractors the big money or they'll go elsewhere'?

Add to all that the fact that Forbes is mind-numbingly incompetent and is being manipulated by external agents.

Imagine the hissy-fit his unknown (yeah, right) agent would throw if they canned him...

In summary : RTE want to save face for a huge mistake - D'Arcy stays on air inflicting inane sh!te on listeners while earning big money and we pay for it!

And who pays for all this…… the taxpayer

As you know Ginneral, the luvvies will gather around to defend as they know they are screwing John Q Taxpayer and ordinary Pat to the nth degree.

Governments are afraid to take these weeds on,time this was stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭bossdrum

I agree with everything here except that he would get €150,000 elsewhere. Who is going to pay him that? Surely no local station could afford it and I doubt if Todayfm/news talk would take him back?

The only reason any organisation could justify paying anything above 100k would be the name recognition that he would bring and as Newstalk have found out with Pat Kenny the irish listener are very slow to move the dial.

Spot on Drummer….. that’s about how it would shake out.

Well, I did say "if lucky". What RD could get elsewhere is going off on a bit of a tangent - 80/100/150k is irrelevant tbh. Bottom line is, it would be a hell of a lot less than his €400k. His show can't even get a sponsor ffs.

My point is that RD is still there because of the sh!tstorm that would follow for all the contractors if he didn't get his contract renewed and ended up with a massively reduced package elsewhere (which is what would happen) and the awkward questions that RTE would have to answer.

An effective DG would jump at the chance to use RD (after he was turfed out) as an example to reduce all contractors fees but Dee is just chronically incompetent. She simply hasn't a clue wtf she's doing. She waffled her way in there with a load of management speak BS.

The agents and their contractors are destroying RTE from the inside out and RTE are too stupid to see it.

I would disagree that they are too ‘stupid’ to see it.

They know well what is going on but would be afraid to tackle the ‘shïtstorm’ that would ensue if they

moved against these overpaid staff.

Thats where the problem is in my opinion, like, why rock the boat when they are getting away with it.

The luvvies have a strangle hold on the place and won’t be shifted easily no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

I think ye are on to something with this. D'arcy is causing problems for the others though being so bad and the bluff of getting big wages elsewhere is most likely to be called with him rather than the others.

I wonder if a certain agent has set it up so that there is a solidarity between the 3 top earners propping each other up in a sense I.e if d'arcy isn't given another half a mill contract the other two might go elsewhere too and rte wouldn't have the integrity / management ability to call that bluff, whatever about calling it on d'arcy alone.

Newstalk I think already said they don't want Duffy and basically said he was lying when he claimed he was offered big money to go there and Tubridy isn't going to leave Dublin at this stage and doesn't have the work ethic to go to an actually profit driven organisation so there is little to fear from the bluff imo.

However its all so cozy and incestuous in montrosia that actual effective management isn't as high a priority as maintaining the coronys in the lifestyles that they have become accustomed to and making sure everyone stays well paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Messes up just a second into the show......what a pro.

Then admits that 55min before his show started, hewas outside Croke Park waiting on a taxi. Proof, if ever it was needed, that he does little to no prep for his show.

Does his wife work on the show too? Or in RTE?

• Advertisement

When I said RTE are too stupid to realise that the organisation is being destroyed from the inside by contractors and their agents I kinda mean it. Sure, people in there do see what's going on but not from a external pov. These people may well be the 'keep the head down' types. They don't realise that people are pissed off seeing the same agency heads over and over again. They don't realise the damage that keeping Darcy there does to their image and the ill will from the public that brings. I think RTE are sleep-walking into a situation where they're over reliant on the contractors thus giving them too much control over RTE.

Take it on an individual show basis: 'Today with xxxx' - I think CB has ruined it. It's become a trashy magazine show with a steady stream of boring contributors (a lot them hail from Claire's agents stable) CB's TV show is the same - wall to wall NKM people. The same apply's to Brendan O'Connor's weekend shows. High throughput of people from the same agent as Claire. BOC can't seem to get a sponsor either. I think Brendan will be relieving RTE of approx 300k pa.

Drive time - During a cost cutting process they increased the fees cost of this show by 100% and of course they get O' hEadhra (NKM) in and imo, he's painful to listen to and there is no reason to have him there as Sarah Mc is more that capable on her own.

I could go on but you get my drift. If these are not prime examples of corporate cancerous metastasis, I don't know what is.

EDIT: Just seen Luke O'Neill is on CB live again. I think a certain agent got his claws into Luke early last year.

So back to Darcy and the big fees. None of us really know how this contractor/agent/client relationship works. We can but make educated guesses. Lets take RD's fees @ €400k approx and agents fees as 20%. I initially presumed RTE would be billed by RD and pay his unknown *cough* agent his cut of 80k which would mean Ray is happy to work for 320k (and why wouldn't he eh) Then I had a scary thought. What if Ray invoices RTE for the 400k and his agent also invoices RTE 80k for 'Service fees re Ray Darcy'. This would mean RD actually costs us 480k and not the 400k that RTE publish.

I could write a book re my thoughts on this shambolic organisation. It would make 'War and Peace' look like a flyer.

Advertisement