Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW Aer Lingus credit card

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jimmy86

Time wrote: »
    I think that's the first full review Rob has done on the EI card. It's hard to disagree with his assessment, unless you can put 100k+ through the card a year its just not worth it. If you can get it the IEC amex is the much better product to have, even when you factor in the higher annual fee.

https://www.headforpoints.com/2019/01/19/aer-credit-card-review-from-aer-lingus-aerclub/

That's the article from 2019... In my case it was worth it, got €600 flights to Dubrovnik for €160.. was planning on using the next batch for Rhodes.

It's not the greatest offer ever but you can make it worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭SB Morer

Hi all. I decided to cash in my first ever ‘free’ flights for a date in late September so that I don’t actually lose them. I filled in the online form last Friday. I got an email with a case reference number on Tuesday. Still haven’t been contacted to say my flights are available or not. Does it normally take this long? What a palaver!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭vinnie_cork

The 1st two attempts I tried I didn’t get, it’s a bad system of lucky dip checking if the 2 seats are available on flight you want..

But I think it’s actually the same 2 seats as are available if you were booking with avios points which is real time. Do check try book with avios and see if the flight you want is available, then send request for “free” flights for that flight.
    It takes about a week, as I said bad system.
    SB Morer wrote: »
    Hi all. I decided to cash in my first ever ‘free’ flights for a date in late September so that I don’t actually lose them. I filled in the online form last Friday. I got an email with a case reference number on Tuesday. Still haven’t been contacted to say my flights are available or not. Does it normally take this long? What a palaver!

The 1st two attempts I tried I didn’t get, it’s a bad system of lucky dip checking if the 2 seats are available on flight you want..

But I think it’s actually the same 2 seats as are available if you were booking with avios points which is real time. Do check try book with avios and see if the flight you want is available, then send request for “free” flights for that flight.
    It takes about a week, as I said bad system.

Yes I did check that first thanks. Not 2 mins after I posted I got a mail from Aer Lingus saying the flights were available and were provisionally booked. I then had to call them, quote the provisional booking, call out my credit card number to pay the taxes and charges and then eventually got a further mail with a confirmed booking. What a load of nonsense! Surely an online booking system could be developed.

I also noticed that the tax and charges I had to pay were €18 more expensive per person than the taxes and charges that would apply if I had paid with Avios. What’s that about? Do they pull these figures out of thin air?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 gettafeck

Not worth the 7.99 a month or €96 PA. Just went to book my 2 "free " flights. I had to pay €206 for tax and fees. Can book the flights online for €306. Where's the value in that. Rang EI to query only to be told my reservation had expired so it didn't matter. So last years 2 free flights lost. Cancelling the card as I can find other ways to save €4. I have EI platinum so the lounge access and priority vouchers are of no use to me anyway. AVOID!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

Sorry for the stupid question but I'm looking at TOC for what transactions are excluded for earning points etc.

It says that balance transfers are excluded. What exactly is a balance transfer? E.g. If I use this CC to top up my N26 account, is that a balance transfer? Or if I spend money on a cryptocurrency exchange and withdraw it, is that a balance transfer? Or Paypal?

I'm not trying to game it, just wondering what counts.

floorpie wrote: »
    Sorry for the stupid question but I'm looking at TOC for what transactions are excluded for earning points etc.

It says that balance transfers are excluded. What exactly is a balance transfer? E.g. If I use this CC to top up my N26 account, is that a balance transfer? Or if I spend money on a cryptocurrency exchange and withdraw it, is that a balance transfer? Or Paypal?

I'm not trying to game it, just wondering what counts.

A balance transfer is any balance from another credit card transferred to your new credit card when you open it first. So If you had a balance of €1,000 on a different BOI card which you closed to open an AerCard account you would not earn Avios on that €1,000 when it transferred to your new card.

You don’t earn any Avios on payments into N26 or Revolut, PayPal, any crypto, any withdrawals (cash or electronic) or anything else that isn’t a purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

SB Morer wrote: »
    A balance transfer is any balance from another credit card transferred to your new credit card when you open it first. So If you had a balance of €1,000 on a different BOI card which you closed to open an AerCard account you would not earn Avios on that €1,000 when it transferred to your new card.

You don’t earn any Avios on payments into N26 or Revolut, PayPal, any crypto, any withdrawals (cash or electronic) or anything else that isn’t a purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭poker--addict

How do you book with avios as opposed to part pay with avios at the end of every booking??

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭thebiglad

You have to make the booking from the Avios website - www.avios.ie

You can also use points on BA for more destinations to do that you need to sign up to BA Executive Club (insert EXACTLY the same details as you have on Aer Club account) then using Combine Avios and you can transfer your Avios to BA account to use there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Is there any credit card where you can get Avios, that is all I would be interested in, without paying any monthly fee, sorry for the noob question!

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭thebiglad

This is the only credit card in Ireland which provides Avios.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭jjnaas

Not in Ireland, no. This BOI card is the only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭aquarius10

If you shop online using the Aer estore links you get avios credited to your account. You just have to remember to use the link.

Advertisement