Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW Aer Lingus credit card

Options
  • 27-01-2019 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

BOI have just launched a new Aer Lingus credit card offering.

https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/borrow/credit-cards/aer-credit-card/features-benefits/

Benefits:
    - 1 Avios for every €1 you spend on Aer Lingus products and services
    - 1 Avios for every €4 you spend on all other transactions.
    - 2 Free Return Fares when you spend 5k in a year
    - 2 Fast Track & Priority Boarding Passes every year
    - 2 Lounge Passes (Dublin, Shannon, Cork, Belfast) every year
    - Worldwide Multi Trip Travel Insurance

Fees: 7.99/month

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Neil Prendiville was saying how good this card was on his show last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Read this if thinking of signing up just to get Avios

https://www.headforpoints.com/2019/01/19/aer-credit-card-review-from-aer-lingus-aerclub/

Poster in the Aer Club thread also mentions that this card does not qualify for points on Supervalu shopping as currently available by linking BOI Credit Card - that could be a significant impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Dubliniensis

Mr.S wrote: »
    The avios points are the only real attractive part as the other benefits are low cost.

Agree. But it should have have been 1 Avio per euro spent and 2+ Avios per euro spent on EI flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭JTMan

One has to spend a hell of a lot on their card before they get flights. Flights to Barcelona are from 13,000 points plus taxes and charges. You would have to spend a whopping 52,000 EUR on your card, outside of Aer Lingus, to earn 13,000 points. On top of this you need to pay a 96 EUR annual fee when the vast majority of credit cards have no annual charge.

Mr.S wrote: »

Would be worth it, if it included unlimited access to the lounge imo.

Credit cards in the US that include unlimited lounge access generally cost >$400 a year, so I don't think it would be a runner for EI/BOI at 8 quid a month.

The downside to bundling unlimited lounge access with credit cards is overcrowding in the lounges. Annoying for frequent fliers who have access through frequent flyer status.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Pretty disappointed with this having looked at the fine print. The 'benefits' are nearly all covered by the €96 annual fee (a years travel insurance does not cost €150). The free flight offer requires a hugh spend and is redeeming seems restrictive 🀔☹

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Pretty disappointed with this having looked at the fine print. The 'benefits' are nearly all covered by the €96 annual fee (a years travel insurance does not cost €150). The free flight offer requires a hugh spend and is redeeming seems restrictive 🀔☹

Neil Prendeville must be a w*nker so, to be promoting this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

The avios per spend at 1 point per €4 spend compares terribly with the BA AMEX Card that gives 1 avios per £1 spend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Zonda999 wrote: »
    The avios per spend at 1 point per €4 spend compares terribly with the BA AMEX Card that gives 1 avios per £1 spend

Are AMEX cards generally better in this sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭SB Morer

There's quite a bit of discussion on this on the Aer Lingus Aer Club/Avios Thread. Here's what I posted there...

I would strongly consider getting one when my travel insurance expires. I'd have to re-check the benefits, but I don't think they are any better on my current policy (which cost €80 for 2 of us) and which doesn't have winter sports cover. Everthing else is a bonus. I spend well over €20K a year on my card but don't do any business travel outside Ireland and so am nowhere near having status with Aer Lingus. Therefore the 'free' flights, lounge passes and fast-track security would be welcome.

As others have commented the Avios earning rate isn't fantastic, but it is the only option on the Irish market.

For those saying Avios are worthless, you really need to widen your view on what you can do with them. I'm planning to book a One World Multi-Carrier Award Ticket for Business Class travel to Japan on Cathay Pacific and JAL and should end up saving thousands of euros.

Also, although my inital gripe re this card was the lack of sign-up bonus and earnings when compared to the US Aer Lingus Credit Card from Chase Bank, it's unfair to compare it to an non-EU issued card, given the EU's cap on interchange fees.

However - it is entirely fair to compare this card to cards issued in other EU countries, such as:

France -
    Basic British Airways Visa Card: Annual Fee €24, 0.8 Avios per €1 spent (but double Avios on BA, Aer Lingus, Iberia and Level), Signup Bonus 6,000 Avios. Additional Benefits: 10% discount on BA flights.

France -
    Premium British Airways Visa Card: Annual Fee €96, 1 Avios per €1 spent (but triple Avios on BA, Aer Lingus, Iberia and Level), Signup Bonus 10,000 Avios. Additional Benefits: 10% discount on BA flights.

Italy -
    Basic British Airways Visa Card: Annual Fee €49, 1 Avios per €1 spent (but double Avios on BA, Aer Lingus, Iberia and Level), Signup Bonus 4,000 Avios. Additional Benefits: 10% discount on BA flights.

Spain -
    Iberia Icon Visa Card: Annual Fee: €90 (waived in year 1), 0.5 Avios per €1 spent, Signup Bonus: 9,000 Avios. Additional Benefits: Oneworld Ruby Status - so priority boarding on all OW flights, Business Class check-in, 25% bonus Avios on flights. The card also gets you a 10% discount on all Iberia flights and Preferred Plus status with Avis (=free car rental upgrades).

Basically, Irish customers are being asked to pay the same fees as the French BA Premium Card or the Iberia Icon Card, but get substantially lower benefits and Avios earning rates, but do get travel insurance. It is especially insulting that French or Italian BA credit card holders get 2 Avios on Aer Lingus bookings, when Irish Aer Lingus card holders get only 1 Avios per euro.

Aer Lingus really could, and should have done better. But then again they know they have no competition, what other options are there on the Irish market?

• Advertisement

Dardania wrote: »
    Are AMEX cards generally better in this sense?

Currently with the Amex Euro Currency card you get 0.66 Avios per €1 spent (via their Membership Rewards).

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Pablo1802

Currently with the Amex Euro Currency card you get 0.66 Avios per €1 spent (via their Membership Rewards).

The Cardmembership fee for The Green Euro Charge Card is €100 + €25 for Membership Rewards membership

No good deal at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Pablo1802 wrote: »
    The Cardmembership fee for The Green Euro Charge Card is €100 + €25 for Membership Rewards membership

No good deal at all.

Considering the difference between that and the EI card is €29 and the earnings rate is triple, plus you aren’t just locked into Avios I’d say it’s a far better deal

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Is it available here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Is it available here?

It looks like Monese (one of the neobanks) is linking up with avios. Might end up being useful in future if you shop in their list of shops:
    https://monese.com/blog/2019/02/introducing-avios

Only links with BAEC for now and no idea of the points accruing yet

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Dardania wrote: »
    It looks like Monese (one of the neobanks) is linking up with avios. Might end up being useful in future if you shop in their list of shops:
    https://monese.com/blog/2019/02/introducing-avios

Only links with BAEC for now and no idea of the points accruing yet

Searched for some additional info and found nothing that would get me overly excited. Unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Does the lounge access offered with this card (2 visits per year) include 51st & Green?

(as an aside, does Silver Status with AerClub, which allows "lounge access" include 51st & Green).

Thanks.

Does the lounge access offered with this card (2 visits per year) include 51st & Green?

(as an aside, does Silver Status with AerClub, which allows "lounge access" include 51st & Green).

Thanks.

No it only applies to their own lounges, all of which are absolutely useless

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

anyone know how long it takes to get a response for the free flights once a request has gone in?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭vinnie_cork

JTMan wrote: »
    One has to spend a hell of a lot on their card before they get flights. Flights to Barcelona are from 13,000 points plus taxes and charges. You would have to spend a whopping 52,000 EUR on your card, outside of Aer Lingus, to earn 13,000 points. On top of this you need to pay a 96 EUR annual fee when the vast majority of credit cards have no annual charge.

Ive got this card 9 months now. Here is my experience.

Fee is €7.99 pm = €95.88 a year plus €30 tax (All Irish cards have this €30 tax).
    Offers I have availed of are as follows:
    • 2 Lounge passes in Cork €42 value
    • travel insurance for a yr for 1 person €50 equivalent
    • 2 Priority boarding (I wouldn't otherwise pay for it but €9.98)
    • 4th attempt managed to book "Free Flight" (Pay taxes) 2 return flights to Lanzarote from Cork (a Saturday to Saturday in March) should have cost €591, I booked under offer for €143 total.
    In summery I calculate I availed of €549.98 of offers less €95.88 so bonus of €454.10.

re the using points to book flight, your mistaken on how this product works, you dont use points to avail of the flight offer, you spend €5,000 in a year to qualify. This is easy when you pay Car insurance, Health, House etc on card. I have never been charged interest, I always pay the bill off each month so never hit with that cost.

So, for me this card works. It could be better, the booking of flights needs to be improved. Since August 2019 Ive tried 4 times to book offer, my 4th attempt was successful. Takes 2 days to hear once I sent in the form request.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 marko61

Hi Vinnie,
    Just wondering how long it took for Aer Lingus to contact you after you looked to book flights. I sent a request for flights yesterday and still no response from them.
    Regards,
    Mark

Ive got this card 9 months now. Here is my experience.

Fee is €7.99 pm = €95.88 a year plus €30 tax (All Irish cards have this €30 tax).
    Offers I have availed of are as follows:
    • 2 Lounge passes in Cork €42 value
    • travel insurance for a yr for 1 person €50 equivalent
    • 2 Priority boarding (I wouldn't otherwise pay for it but €9.98)
    • 4th attempt managed to book "Free Flight" (Pay taxes) 2 return flights to Lanzarote from Cork (a Saturday to Saturday in March) should have cost €591, I booked under offer for €143 total.
    In summery I calculate I availed of €549.98 of offers less €95.88 so bonus of €454.10.

re the using points to book flight, your mistaken on how this product works, you dont use points to avail of the flight offer, you spend €5,000 in a year to qualify. This is easy when you pay Car insurance, Health, House etc on card. I have never been charged interest, I always pay the bill off each month so never hit with that cost.

So, for me this card works. It could be better, the booking of flights needs to be improved. Since August 2019 Ive tried 4 times to book offer, my 4th attempt was successful. Takes 2 days to hear once I sent in the form request.

marko61 wrote: »
    Hi Vinnie,
    Just wondering how long it took for Aer Lingus to contact you after you looked to book flights. I sent a request for flights yesterday and still no response from them.
    Regards,
    Mark

You get an email with a case reference number. It was about or over 24 hrs after that email. I think it’s only a Monday to Friday system too and 9-5.

marko61 wrote: »
    Hi Vinnie,
    Just wondering how long it took for Aer Lingus to contact you after you looked to book flights.

The system could be better, although I think if you check to book a flights using Avios points system that tells you if there are seats available in real-time , that might be a way to check if flights your looking at have these same reward seats (my booked ones using card scheme removed the available Avios points seats on same flight) if that makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jimmy86

I applied for my flights on a Friday and they were confirmed the following Wednesday. I paid €138(taxes&charges) for 2 return flights to Dubrovnik in June. The flights were €580 odds so pretty happy with that!

I guess I picked the wrong time to take out this card! Qualified for my ‘free’ flights at the end of January. Will I ever get to use them, the fast track or the lounge access before they expire? Plus
    Travel Insurance is such a waste when you can’t travel. Delighted to be paying €8 a month for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jimmy86

Any comments to add to that?

That's actually an old article, looks like they've reposted as a new one.

Some people will find value in it, others won't. I've got the value out of it personally. In respone to your previous post, it looks like they are extending the expiry of the vouchers etc.

I think that's the first full review Rob has done on the EI card. It's hard to disagree with his assessment, unless you can put 100k+ through the card a year its just not worth it. If you can get it the IEC amex is the much better product to have, even when you factor in the higher annual fee.

Time wrote: »
    I think that's the first full review Rob has done on the EI card. It's hard to disagree with his assessment, unless you can put 100k+ through the card a year its just not worth it. If you can get it the IEC amex is the much better product to have, even when you factor in the higher annual fee.

How does anyone go about getting an AMEX in Ireland? You have to be an existing customer to get an IEC AND they’re not available to EU residents??

• Advertisement

SB Morer wrote: »
    How does anyone go about getting an AMEX in Ireland? You have to be an existing customer to get an IEC AND they’re not available to EU residents??

No idea, i have one from before that rule came in. I'd say if you got a UK one you could get it then.

Advertisement