Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didn't know that this thread would have a part 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I feel I have to correct you on that one, he's 64tongue.png

Thanks, I misread when I looked it up. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

David Jason has an 18 year old daughter.

He was 61 when she was born...dirty old git![/QUOTE
    Either that or he has a very good neighbour :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

The “Fed-Ex Girl” in Horrible Bosses who appears for about 30 seconds near the beginning of the movie is an uncredited role played by Meghan Markle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

65.76 million years ago today? I must light a candle for them

Now 65,760,000 years and two days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Nixonbot wrote: »
    Ecuador is not Mexico :pac:

The main reason for this is that the Earth bulges at the equator, giving it an extra 20km or so of distance to the centre compared to the poles.

Is Ecuador a mexican country? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

In java you can't instantiate an Abstract class but you inherit from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I always thought that the phrase money laundering because you put dirty money in one end and received clean money at the other end. Apparently this is not the case. It originated with gangsters like Al Capone who businesses like laundromats that were cash only. they would add their ill-gotten gains to the takings of the laundromat and the extra profit this generated was now legitimate money. They even paid tax on the profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

In breaking bad he buys a car wash to legitimise the money.

Put anyone down who buys a €7 regular wash as a €35 deluxe wash .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Quentin Tarantino appeared in The Golden Girls as an Elvis impersonator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

The middle name of the father of the man who wrote Waltzing Matilda is the same as the surname of the man who wrote the anti-war song The Band played Waltzing Matilda, which fades out with an extract from the original. Andrew Barton "Banjo" Paterson was the son of Andrew Bogle Paterson, a Scot who emigrated to Australia in the mid-nineteenth century. Almost a century later, Eric Bogle, another Scot who had emigrated to Australia, wrote The Band Played Waltzing Matilda and entered in the Brisbane National Folk Festival songwriting contest in 1974. It finished third.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The latter one also wrote the not rebel ballad, The Green fields of France.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Ipso wrote: »
    The latter one also wrote the rebel ballad, The Green fields of France.
    Sorry to nitpick, but that isn't a rebel song.

I would have thought it was quite the opposite to a rebel song.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I would have thought it was quite the opposite to a rebel song.

It is, but I suppose the line about 1916 might mislead people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Yes, sorry I was being sarcastic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Neither is Sunday Bloody Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Neither is Sunday Bloody Sunday.

It just really encapsulates the frustration of a Sunday,

Sunday, bloody Sunday!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The call of a Kookaburra is the go-to sound effect used for films and TV shows set in the jungles of South America and Africa. One small problem, they are native only to Australia and New Guinea.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mzungu wrote: »
    The call of a Kookaburra is the go-to sound effect used for films and TV shows set in the jungles of South America and Africa. One small problem, they are native only to Australia and New Guinea.

Kookaburra is a simple, four-bar tune. Men at Work were found liable for copying two of these bars. Almost 30 years later they were sued. By people who didn't own the copyright when their hit was release. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Kookaburra is a simple, four-bar tune. Men at Work were found liable for copying two of these bars. Almost 30 years later they were sued. By people who didn't own the copyright when their hit was release. :mad:

When Colin Hay plays it live these days, he omits that part. When you think about it, that copyright case was bizarre. Dragged on for years too. Hay blames the stress of it for the untimely death of his father and MAW flautist Greg Ham.

When you think about it, "Land Down Under" is a classic. Poking fun at Americanization, warnings about overdevelopment and the western fascination with "enlightenment" on the hippy backpacking trail of the 70s and 80s.

Great song.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Sounds very much like a Opel Insignia CDTI refusing to start with a fuelling problem a lot of the timebiggrin.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Similarly the frogs found outside Hollywood studios make the famous 'ribit' sound. They are only found on the Pacific coast but movies use them for frog noises everywhere. Most frogs do not make that sound but because of Hollywood's use of the same sound file people think it's a common call.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The person that creates every day sounds to be added to a film in post production is called a Foley Artist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

BaZmO* wrote: »
    The person that creates every day sounds to be added to a film in post production is called a Foley Artist.

Can anybody explain some of the other odd job titles I see on film credits..?

Key grip
    Best boy
    Gaffer
    Dolly grip..

And so on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Key grip Supervises lighting and rigging
    Best boy Usually electrics assistant
    Gaffer Electric boss
    Dolly grip.. Operates the camera dolly, or tracked camera

And so on!

I must look up the etymology so some of the terms.

Key grip
    Best boy
    Gaffer
    Dolly grip..

And so on!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Below-the-line_(filmmaking)
    the wiki article is really good but quickly:

Gaffer : head eletrician
    Best Boy : Gaffers assistant
    Dolly Grip : Operates the camera dolly, the little cart the camera is mounted on
    Key Grip: supervises all the lighting and rigging crews (including the dolly grip)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

BaZmO* wrote: »

Called after Jack Foley* who developed sounds techniques in the early days of movie making. I think he had an Irish connection somewhere, but doesn't everyone!

*No relation to Axl.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I've a mate works in film and it's amazing to hear about just how complex a set is. He's a video assist, which involves recording alongside the actual camera work on video, so that the director can view takes while on set in real time. My favourite is the focus puller, whose sole job is keeping the camera in focus for the camera operator. It was mind boggling to me that that exists as a job. And unsurprisingly, as straightforward as that sounds it's a very difficult and respected job.

Also sets are highly unionised, with the result that nobody is allowed do anything that isn't specifically in their job description. If you pick up and plug in a loose cable and you're not a spark, expect serious trouble.

I worked as an extra on Becoming Jane and it was an eye opener about how intricate the whole process can be. And how tedious a person James McAvoy is (great actor but still...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

I worked as an extra on Becoming Jane and it was an eye opener about how intricate the whole process can be. And how tedious a person James McAvoy is (great actor but still...)

Ooh interesting! He seems so affable and easy going. Tell us the sordid details! :-P

Advertisement