Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Airshows 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭airbusa320

Tenger wrote: »
    Was it an A320 in formation with the IAC or an A321?

48398483937_ee1b1ea833_z.jpgEI and IAC formation by aidan mills, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Did I miss the Strikemasters today? I didn't see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭peneau

Anyone know what engine was powering the P-51 at the show this afternoon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

Very enjoyable show, unfortunately no Blades, but the Royal Jordanian Falcons did a very good display to finish it off.

There was an electric plane supposed to launch from another plane too, but that wasn't there either.

Dave Bruton did his usual great display right up to the point where he pulled out of a dive at around 30ft (it seemed to me, someone must have a photo/video of it)

The crowd loved it, lots of oohs and aaahs, but the display director was not impressed, especially in front of lots of IAA people, I'm sure.
    Immediately, he was told "Too Low" over the radio, and then shortly afterwards, his display was terminated and he was sent direct to Weston. I wouldn't like his chances of displaying at the remaining airshows this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

_dof_ wrote: »
    Very enjoyable show, unfortunately no Blades, but the Royal Jordanian Falcons did a very good display to finish it off.

There was an electric plane supposed to launch from another plane too, but that wasn't there either.

Dave Bruton did his usual great display right up to the point where he pulled out of a dive at around 30ft (it seemed to me, someone must have a photo/video of it)

The crowd loved it, lots of oohs and aaahs, but the display director was not impressed, especially in front of lots of IAA people, I'm sure.
    Immediately, he was told "Too Low" over the radio, and then shortly afterwards, his display was terminated and he was sent direct to Weston. I wouldn't like his chances of displaying at the remaining airshows this year.

First warning and stop stop on his display. If he gets one more stop stop.
    Then his display validation is removed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Tenger wrote: »
    To the two children having a go at each other, knock it off.
    The Bray Airshow (to my knowledge) has never published a schedule. You can guess that the headline act (Falcons this year) will close the show.
    Incidentally I’ve been at RIAT and Chicago Airshow, neither of which had a fixed schedule either.
    Display schedule can change, even with aircraft in the air at holding points.

I work for RIAT and we do have a fixed schedule for the show. Of course things do change, but its fairly easy to find the scedule for the day, its on the middle pages of the programme.

I work for RIAT and we do have a fixed schedule for the show. Of course things do change, but its fairly easy to find the scedule for the day, its on the middle pages of the programme.

You guys done a super job

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

You guys done a super job
    im one small cog in a very big wheel

im one small cog in a very big wheel

Well the big cog done a fabulous job, and f*** the guys on here that dist the program, the whole Bray team done a great job, and the parking was better than other years
    Fair play to all involved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Artur.PL

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Not a very exciting display to be honest
    Sunday display was pretty boring, unfortunately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

About climate change? People cheering them on?

Artur.PL wrote: »
    Sunday display was pretty boring, unfortunately.

Great photo, but i think most of the crowd would disagree, but each to there own

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Artur.PL

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Not a very exciting display to be honest
    Great photo, but i think most of the crowd would disagree, but each to there own
    Thank you.

I am in Bray every year so I was disapointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

peneau wrote: »
    Anyone know what engine was powering the P-51 at the show this afternoon ?

It's a P-51D so should be a Merlin engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

_dof_ wrote: »

That was right in front of me and I had the camera down :( but yeah christ he was low and it was a ridiculous move to pull off if on purpose. I did think at the time it wasn't on purpose though, that it was misjudged.

I was convinced he was not getting out of it and most of the oohs and ahhs around me with gasps of "oh ****, he's gone"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Well done to all involved in Bray 2019. A great day out and excellent organisation in the air and on the ground.

It's incredible in this day and age that a family event of such a scale and requiring the cooperation and coordination of so many state and private organisations, is offered to the public free of charge, every year. I am already looking forward to the 15th anniversary display next year.

Thanks to all and good luck with planning the next one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭peneau

It's a P-51D so should be a Merlin engine.

Thanks for that. I was wondering might it have been a Griffon engine the sound was much more guttural than a Merlin and the fantastic whistle as it was decending was brilliant to hear, might have been the wind conditions, I was up on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Thanks for that. I was wondering might it have been a Griffon engine the sound was much more guttural than a Merlin and the fantastic whistle as it was decending was brilliant to hear, might have been the wind conditions, I was up on the head.

Did sound great. Could be the supercharger set up, its different there to the Merlin Spits. P-51s never used Griffons as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TreeMaker

This particular Mustang uses the Packard Merlin, and as already mentioned they were never fitted with the RR Griffon engine. The whistle you hear is the air passing over the gun ports on the wings, such a great sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭riddles

If you were going to Birr show it says 11-6 what time reasonably would you need to be there at to see the main part of the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

riddles wrote: »
    If you were going to Birr show it says 11-6 what time reasonably would you need to be there at to see the main part of the show?

Show starts at 2.

Handy enough to kill an hour with the few stalls before it.

Definitely no earlier than 12.30

vargoo wrote: »
    Show starts at 2.

Handy enough to kill an hour with the few stalls before it.

Definitely no earlier than 12.30

Lots of rain promised...phone app says 80% rain starting at 1pm and continuous for the day.

But it's Ireland, sun could be cracking the stones either...who knows.

vargoo wrote: »
    Lots of rain promised...phone app says 80% rain starting at 1pm and continuous for the day.

But it's Ireland, sun could be cracking the stones either...who knows.

https://www.facebook.com/events/ormand-flying-club/birr-air-display-2019/191978148415438/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Reati wrote: »
    That was right in front of me and I had the camera down :( but yeah christ he was low and it was a ridiculous move to pull off if on purpose. I did think at the time it wasn't on purpose though, that it was misjudged.

I was convinced he was not getting out of it and most of the oohs and ahhs around me with gasps of "oh ****, he's gone"

Did manage to catch a shot of that, but not with a long lens. Was a tad concerned myself, to be honest.

Worked in the maintenance business for a few years, spent a lot of time in airports, and even seeing a fair bit of military flying, but this looked a bit off to my eye.

He came out of a stall tumble...
    1Vr3kq.jpg

And was so low, the smoke trail was on the water surface.
    0gPAxi.jpg

But he recovered well, obviously.
    2nUzvF.jpg

Overall, I thought it was a good show and the Royal Jordanians, though commentary a bit naff, were jolly good.

Theirs a vid of it here

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1fyX6yHuIMQ

He fupped up big.

Didn't fly at Birr, i assume not allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭mookishboy

Supposedly had a window open and cockpit filled with smoke !

And plane was gone tech for Birr ;)

mookishboy wrote: »
    Supposedly had a window open and cockpit filled with smoke !

Ah, I expected better excuse.

2/10

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭emo72

On a lighter note, I seen what I assume was the strikemaster bombing down the n4 in Lucan. Scared the bejaysus outta the dog. Happy times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Yikes, Dave Bruton nearly bought it there. It's possible the cockpit was full of smoke as he exited the 'spin' pointing towards the crowd line - not a good idea.

There's a bit of wing rock as he pulls up, looks like a panic pull to me, certainly not planned.

Advertisement