Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Orange/red together before green for go

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Going by some of the UK dashcam videos on youtube, amber means have launch control ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭dodzy

To echo the sentiments of others, we as a nation are an embarrassment, either stopped at, or approaching traffic lights. (We are equally sh1t on the motorways by the way)

Any change, no matter how successful in other parts of the world, would be carnage here. I live in Dublin West. Some of the worst drivers in the land reside here. Of that I have no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

No
    dodzy wrote: »
    To echo the sentiments of others, we as a nation are an embarrassment, either stopped at, or approaching traffic lights. (We are equally sh1t on the motorways by the way)

Any change, no matter how successful in other parts of the world, would be carnage here. I live in Dublin West. Some of the worst drivers in the land reside here. Of that I have no doubt.

Nonsense. As a nation, the Irish are frightened to death of any change. But they do cope just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

grogi wrote: »
    Flashing amber means 'proceed with caution'

Where? Green is proceed with caution in this country. Amber is do not pass

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1964/si/294/made/en/print

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

No
    Nixonbot wrote: »
    Also let us turn left on a red.
    This works so well in Toronto! It also gets rid of so much traffic.
    How do countries that allow in our case a left on red factor in pedestrian crossings? I can think of a few locally where I'd have little to no visibility of the near side crossing around the left turn.
    Peds have right of way, but there are signs that say "stop on red" which means no right turn on red. Points & instant fine if caught doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,336 ✭✭✭✭Victor

No
    How do countries that allow in our case a left on red factor in pedestrian crossings? I can think of a few locally where I'd have little to no visibility of the near side crossing around the left turn.
    The drivers are meant to yield to the pedestrians, but in reality, many do a 'rolling stop'. Combined with inattentive driving, pedestrians are killed.
    seamus wrote: »
    No. You'd have people slamming it to the floor when the orange appears because they don't understand what the lights mean.
    Which is correct. Sorry, do you mean braking or accelerating?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

EdgeCase wrote: »
    One of the problems in Dublin (certainly more than Cork) is junctions that trap people / lack of filter lights....

...For example : right turn into the Mater hospital from Druncondra....
    Eh, there is no right turn permitted there and it has a sign to that effect. That explains the lack of a filter light and why you are getting 'trapped'.

If you need to get to the Mater, take the next right into Synnott Place (opposite The Auld Triangle pub) and do a loop around to get back onto the NCR.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

No
    There's a red light for left at the biggest junction in Dundalk outside Xerox and weekly I see people going straight through it. This is a junction which you regularly see people travelling through at 80-100kph. Bugs the hell out of me.

No
    Del2005 wrote: »
    Where? Green is proceed with caution in this country. Amber is do not pass

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1964/si/294/made/en/print

Solid amber is stop. Flashing amber is go.

Where in the Statute or Rules of the road does it say that? The ROTR says that flashing orange means that peds have priority so if approaching you have to stop for flashing orange, same as a flashing amber arrow is a yield. The Statute says stop on amber. Neither say go on Amber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

No
    Del2005 wrote: »
    Where in the Statute or Rules of the road does it say that? The ROTR says that flashing orange means that peds have priority so if approaching you have to stop for flashing orange, same as a flashing amber arrow is a yield. The Statute says stop on amber. Neither say go on Amber.

What about a pelican crossing?

Are you saying that when a pedestrian light changes from red to flashing orange, you just sit there if the crossing is clear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

No
    Green means proceed with caution (ie, don't just plough through any obstacle which happens to be there).

Orange means stop if safe to do so (ie, jamming on won't cause an accident).

Red (well, you should be already stopped when you approac a red, fairly self-explanatory).

Flashing orange is usually and those "curved junctions" at cross roads (I don't know the name of them) and pedestrian crossings. Flashing amber means you may go if there are no pedestrians left on the crossing.

No
    Crock Rock wrote: »
    Flashing orange is usually and those "curved junctions" at cross roads (I don't know the name of them) and pedestrian crossings. Flashing amber means you may go if there are no pedestrians left on the crossing.

Or at traffic lights that are out of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Would this system work well in Ireland in your opinions?

I was driving around Newry recently and noticed that's how it works up there, I forgot the UK had that sequence. It is used in some of our European neighbous too. Some do it that way and some do it our way, as in the go straight from red to green.

Would this save time moving off at junctions?

What do you think would you like ot see it here?

I don't think it makes much difference to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

No
    Or at traffic lights that are out of order.

Are out of order traffic lights not just dim completely (ie, no lighting at all)?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,634 ✭✭✭✭elperello

No
    Are out of order traffic lights not just dim completely (ie, no lighting at all)?

Not always.
    You can have lights stuck on red or green.
    The only options are 1- proceed with extreme caution,2- turn around and find another route to your destination or 3- wait for Gardai to direct traffic.

Pataman wrote: »
    What about a pelican crossing?

Are you saying that when a pedestrian light changes from red to flashing orange, you just sit there if the crossing is clear?

A pelican crossing is covered by legislation.

Of course not. But I know that it's not legal, just like I might occasionally exceed a posted speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

There's a red light for left at the biggest junction in Dundalk outside Xerox and weekly I see people going straight through it. This is a junction which you regularly see people travelling through at 80-100kph. Bugs the hell out of me.

Tbf it should be a filter light. Limit is 60kmph (I don't think it reduces to 50?) and you'd actively have to cross lanes to crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

No
    I vote YES to this proposal, because far too often I see drivers taking ages to get off the line when the lights turn green. It's exasperating when you miss the green because the driver 3 cars ahead has taken 5 seconds to respond. As previously mentioned, some lights are only green for maybe 10 seconds, which further adds to the joys of driving. In the USA they allow "right on red", unless a sign says " no right on red", also late at night, instead of the normal traffic light sequence, they often have a flashing amber for all signals. This works very well when the traffic is light, and saves the inordinate waits at traffic lights here late at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,634 ✭✭✭✭elperello

No
    I vote YES to this proposal, because far too often I see drivers taking ages to get off the line when the lights turn green. It's exasperating when you miss the green because the driver 3 cars ahead has taken 5 seconds to respond. As previously mentioned, some lights are only green for maybe 10 seconds, which further adds to the joys of driving. In the USA they allow "right on red", unless a sign says " no right on red", also late at night, instead of the normal traffic light sequence, they often have a flashing amber for all signals. This works very well when the traffic is light, and saves the inordinate waits at traffic lights here late at night.

Yes we can!!
    There is no reason why Irish drivers could not adapt to amber/green signals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

elperello wrote: »
    Yes we can!!
    There is no reason why Irish drivers could not adapt to amber/green signals.

Yes there is: I saw 3 cars jump a red in Galway today. The colour of the lights won't change that behaviour.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Yes there is: I saw 3 cars jump a red in Galway today. The colour of the lights won't change that behaviour.

We have a problem with people jumping lights due to lack of enforcement, but we have relatively little DUI. The USA does not have a problem with people jumping lights due to enforcement, but DUI is still a huge problem there. If we enforced all our current laws most issues would be resolved without the need to introduce new laws to be ignored.

I remember years ago when the government made a big noise about changing the law on it being illegal to be drunk in public to it being illegal to be drunk in public. Newstalk interviewed the senior Garda in Dublin in Temple Bar and the interviewer asked where all the drunks walking around going to be arrested, the answer was no.

Our government is good at introducing new laws to fix problems, but never enforces them so the problem remains.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭mikeecho

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I think we should get rid of amber altogether.

Get rid of red as well . Noone pays a blind bit of notice to it anyway.

When the lights are out at complex junctions, people tend to be a lot more cautious, and overall traffic seems to generally flow better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Yield.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,243 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

And this, boys and girls, is why it would be a mistake to introduce more signals that rely on the amber light. Even the ones we already have are not well-understood.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Victor wrote: »
    The drivers are meant to yield to the pedestrians, but in reality, many do a 'rolling stop'. Combined with inattentive driving, pedestrians are killed.

Which is correct. Sorry, do you mean braking or accelerating?

Been in Florida loads of times and the cops over there will pull in an instant any driver who does not come to a complete stop at the line before proceeding right on a red, seen just the odd lad do it ahead of me and twice from nowhere a police car came and pulled them over...even in empty roads you have to do it

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

No
    Yield.

Anywhere in civilised world, where Vienna Convention was ratified, flashing amber has a well defined meaning:
    A single amber flashing light or two amber lights flashing alternately shall
    mean that drivers may proceed but shall do so with particular care.

Ireland unfortunately didn't. But our traffic signals are usually imported where they do follow the Vienna Convention.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Anywhere in civilised world, where Vienna Convention was ratified, flashing amber has a well defined meaning:

Ireland unfortunately didn't. But our traffic signals are usually imported where they do follow the Vienna Convention.

Makes no odds, there's no traffic light here for "go" either. Flashing ambers are to be handled as a yield. It doesn't matter much what people do anywhere else.

No
    Makes no odds, there's no traffic light here for "go" either. Flashing ambers are to be handled as a yield. It doesn't matter much what people do anywhere else.

If your 'yield' means 'proceed with caution', sure.

Nobody should ever just bluntly go, even on green - that 'go' was just a mind shortcut, in response to @Del2005 comment that flashing amber means stop.

• Advertisement

If your 'yield' means 'proceed with caution', sure.

Nobody should ever just bluntly go, even on green - that 'go' was just a mind shortcut, in response to @Del2005 comment that flashing amber means stop.

How many teeth do you plan on pulling out? Yield is a reference to right of way.

Advertisement