Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Orange/red together before green for go

Options
  • 23-01-2019 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

Would this system work well in Ireland in your opinions?

I was driving around Newry recently and noticed that's how it works up there, I forgot the UK had that sequence. It is used in some of our European neighbous too. Some do it that way and some do it our way, as in the go straight from red to green.

Would this save time moving off at junctions?

What do you think would you like ot see it here?

Would you like to see the UK raffic light sequence here? 104 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    VictorRonan|Raventhe_sycoednwirelandDempseyspuddyquenchingmachiavellianmeAlunfjonLord NikonPatamanGreeBothosbennyx_ozilog_jonesLimestone1LIGHTNINGmiketvDr_Colossus 104 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

No
    Yes.

Also let us turn left on a red.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

No
    Nixonbot wrote: »
    Yes.

Also let us turn left on a red.

Having driven in America a few times, it is a great yet simple idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,963 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Crock Rock wrote: »
    Would this system work well in Ireland in your opinions?

I was driving around Newry recently and noticed that's how it works up there, I forgot the UK had that sequence. It is used in some of our European neighbous too. Some do it that way and some do it our way, as in the go straight from red to green.

Would this save time moving off at junctions?

What do you think would you like ot see it here?

We need to stop people breaking red lights before we think about changing the sequence. From driving here and in the UK the sequence of the lights is not the problem it's the lack of attention by drivers that causes delays.

I found that UK drivers started to move on amber/green rather than wait for the green which with our endemic ignoring of red would be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

No
    Del2005 wrote: »
    We need to stop people breaking red lights before we think about changing the sequence. From driving here and in the UK the sequence of the lights is not the problem it's the lack of attention by drivers that causes delays.

I found that UK drivers started to move on amber/green rather than wait for the green which with our endemic ignoring of red would be interesting.

It's amber-red not amber-green. Sorry. I hope I don't sound like I am nitpicking.

Would automatic cameras work here? Maybe we could couple the cameras to be red light watchers and also check for insurance and tax and NCT. Abolish the need to the disc pouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I don't think it works,it seems to be a very frustrating system!?
    Because as soon as they cross the border they drive like rally drivers ============================

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

It works well when driving in the UK.
    Too many drivers here don't stop for red lights so it would probably cause a huge amount of accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭Melodeon

No
    There was a theory back in the day when this was introduced in the UK, that it was to give Land-Rover drivers advance warning to start taking up the slack in the transmission before the light went green. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Its a great system but would never work here - we don't have the driving maturity/cop on as a nation, we'd all just go on amber.

How do countries that allow in our case a left on red factor in pedestrian crossings? I can think of a few locally where I'd have little to no visibility of the near side crossing around the left turn.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

No. People shouldn't be looking at the lights to launch off the line once its green. We aren't at a drag strip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,438 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think we should get rid of amber altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No. You'd have people slamming it to the floor when the orange appears because they don't understand what the lights mean.

How do countries that allow in our case a left on red factor in pedestrian crossings? I can think of a few locally where I'd have little to no visibility of the near side crossing around the left turn.

The pedestrian has right of way. You are supposed to treat the red as a yield sign and not proceed unless clear, they also don't allow turning on red at junctions if they are dangerous or busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,438 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They built their junctions with this in mind though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭blackbox

My experience of the UK is that a lot of people cross the line before the green.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The first thing to bring in if we're to do this is proper enforcement of the existing rules.

The red light jumping is endemic here at this stage to a point where you should prepare to be rear ended if you dare stop on orange, I know, stop unless its not safe to do so and its not safe because you've some clown behind you up your arse to get through it expecting you to be of the same mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭elperello

No
    I notice they are using timer displays to let you know how long to green on roadworks lights now.
    They are effectively letting drivers know in advance of green showing.
    You will notice drivers getting in gear and being ready to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Melodeon wrote: »
    There was a theory back in the day when this was introduced in the UK, that it was to give Land-Rover drivers advance warning to start taking up the slack in the transmission before the light went green. :D

Christ :D:D

The thing where it goes from red to flashing amber is already in place around here at pedestrian crossings, and that's apparently confusing enough, given the people who sit there come lights or loud horns until it goes green..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,331 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Should their be a red-and-amber phase? In a sense, it's a zero-sum game. Traffic signals at an intersection typically have a short "all-red" phase, where light lights in one direction turn red, and a short time then elapses before the lights in the other direction turn green. This is to allow traffic travelling in one direction to clear the junction before traffic from the other direction is signalled to go.

In countries which have a "red-and-amber" phase, this typically is coupled with a slightly longer "all-red" phase, to guard against the risk that drivers will start as soon as red-and-amber is signalled. A significant proportion of drivers do exactly this; in countries with a red-and-amber phase, about a third of the time the first car in line will cross the line before the light actually turns green. You can reduce this by having a shorter red-and-amber phase (the UK has two seconds, but some countries only have 1 second) or you can manage the associated risk by extending the all-red phase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

One of the problems in Dublin (certainly more than Cork) is junctions that trap people / lack of filter lights.

There are some unbelievably badly designed light sequences.

For example : right turn into the Mater hospital from Druncondra direction and from Eccles Street right into Dorset Street. One of the largest hospitals in the country and there's no fly lights at all. You just have to force your way across.

And loads of sequences like this:

Cork (usually)
    Green
    Red + Right filter (many more junctions have amber flashing filter to allow turn) - allows cars to comfortably clear junction.
    Full red (with pedestrian crossing green).

Dublin (frequently)
    Green
    Green + Green Filter.
    Full red (cars stuck in middle of junction - no escape)

Also in Cork, a confusing one where the lights behave as if there's a right filter, holding the oncoming traffic but they don't have one. The result of that is people become used to full green = I can turn right and also cars hesitating to turn right when the traffic is actually held.

Loads of Irish junctions need to be reviewed.

Also and it's more a feature of the Dublin control system than Cork, you get the odd INSANELY short green sequence and it's causing light breaking and aggressive behaviour as the lights will only let about one or two cars through.

I'm not sure if that's just difference in behaviour beheen SCATS (Dublin control system) and Siemens UTC SCOOT in Cork or just how they're programming it, but Cork system seems to not produce those ultra short green phases

They need to be minimum timings on green (unless no traffic is sensed by the system). The amber phase also needs to hold amber for slightly longer.

I just don't think there's good and consistent design of signal systems here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,502 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

No
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    I think we should get rid of amber altogether.

I completely agree. It's too much uncertainty. Is it a long or short sequence?
    I'd prefer a countdown timer (like the one for pedestrians) to the next change.
    it could display on the green to red transition so you'd be able to evaluate if it is safe to continue or preferably stop before the change as well as on the red to green transition to inform dawdlers and avoid a 15 second hold up as the first three cars clamber to get moving.
    1 or 2 seconds headroom could be built in if required between the actual transition (ie all red).

The thing where it goes from red to flashing amber is already in place around here at pedestrian crossings, and that's apparently confusing enough, given the people who sit there come lights or loud horns until it goes green..

You aren’t supposed to move till you have a green light. Flashing amber has no status, full amber is prepare to stop, so it shouldn't be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭Melodeon

No
    It'd be a nice addition to the motoring landscape here, but there's no doubt some people will regard it like this, unfortunately :( :
    471190.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

feck off you West Brit...
    we dont want that English stuff here :D:D:D

but seriously...
    no... seen too many near misses and accidents, people late running the red light and another car going on the amber green ....

like our lights arent complicated... its not rocket science

• Registered Users Posts: 51,201 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm just back from the US also and the turn right on red is very good. However you need to be on the ball for pedestrians crossing after the turn as they have right of way over traffic. I could see it being a disaster here.

The 4 way stop sign junctions are some craic too.

You aren’t supposed to move till you have a green light. Flashing amber has no status, full amber is prepare to stop, so it shouldn't be used.

Sequence is as follows:
    Pedestrian presses button.
    Green light goes amber; Prepare to stop.
    You stop as the light goes red.
    While it's red, people cross.
    Then the red light dissappears and the amber light starts flashing, which I take to mean "proceed with caution/don't go anywhere if someone is still crossing.
    Then the light goes green.
    9 times out of 10 everyone's cleared the road when the amber starts flashing and we" proceed cautiously".

That or there's about four hundred penalty points on their way :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

No

Then you don't turn. No visibility, no turning. Simple

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

No

Flashing amber means 'proceed with caution'

Advertisement