Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding Q&A superthread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Also, can someone please let me know if it is still the case that gosafe operate between the signs. I've heard otherwise but the source is not reliable so I'm skeptical.

They updated the gosafe zones on garda.ie a few years ago and said the zone start signs would no longer be used or updated. They need to stay in the zones on the website, typically at exact same spot each time. They also can cover road works, typically long term reduced speed limit on main roads. I have seen them do this.

The garda can go anywhere and in the past at least they had fixed vans with garda written on them, unlike gosafe. I have not seen these in years, likely not used anymore. The gardai have new speed guns with cameras built in. They don't need to stop you. They have much longer range than vans and can use overhead bridges and click away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

zg3409 wrote: »
    They updated the gosafe zones on garda.ie a few years ago and said the zone start signs would no longer be used or updated. They need to stay in the zones on the website, typically at exact same spot each time. They also can cover road works, typically long term reduced speed limit on main roads. I have seen them do this.

The garda can go anywhere and in the past at least they had fixed vans with garda written on them, unlike gosafe. I have not seen these in years, likely not used anymore. The gardai have new speed guns with cameras built in. They don't need to stop you. They have much longer range than vans and can use overhead bridges and click away.

The new equipment certainly has a longer range of 1200m and phenomenal accuracy, but the photographic element is much shorter at 150m

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭The_Kitty

newmember? wrote: »
    After getting done 59 in a 50 I've revised my internal leeway theory to 10%...

Did you go past it over the limit or had you slowed down before you reached it? Wondering about the range

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

The_Kitty wrote: »
    Did you go past it over the limit or had you slowed down before you reached it? Wondering about the range

Always heard when you see it its too late and in many cases the view range is quite short.

I have slowed when I have seen them on motorways and not been done - distance would be hard to guage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I've started using the Waze app on all my journeys since picking up a stack of penalty points (no complaints!) last year. Notified me of 3x checkpoints and speed vans on a trip last weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,667 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Once again I have heard "that they get you both ways" - but in my experience it has never been the case.

And i have properly sped passed vans on the other side of the road.

The vans only take pictures/measurements at the rear. That means you need to be approaching the back of the van, or passing it on the other side of the road to be caught.
    Always heard when you see it its too late and in many cases the view range is quite short.

I have slowed when I have seen them on motorways and not been done - distance would be hard to guage.

You need to be practically beside the back of the van to be caught as they have a very limited range to take pictures in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I always heard that as soon as you see them get on the brakes as they are set up to get the car quite close to the van, 50 meters was mentioned. How true this is i don't know. It was told to me by a Garda, but how much they know about them i don't know either.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The vans only take pictures/measurements at the rear. That means you need to be approaching the back of the van, or passing it on the other side of the road to be caught.

You need to be practically beside the back of the van to be caught as they have a very limited range to take pictures in.
    I was wondering if they are measuring speed say for 50-100m or more and they take the pic when you are close couldnt they still know you were speeding before they take the photo? Because what you're saying would mean you'd have to pass them still speeding to be caught?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

I'm sure they take road conditions into consideration. If very wet or foggy they will be generally stricter than if a dry day with good visibility.

My source for this is reading it here so don't take as gospel.

Have passed Gardai with the speed gun doing 130 before with no consequence, presume 130 on my speedo is something just over 120 in reality?

I did go on a Safety Rep course with a GoSafe driver, only got to chat to him a small bit.

He said that they submit all the over limit readings to Gardai with info on traffic volume and weather and an office in the Gardai decide who gets a fine.. So in theory he reported everyone who was even 1km over.

Really wish i had gotten more info out of the chap. He did say that at the time less than half the vans on the road were actively catching people - apparently lots of the vans are doing market research essentially - they have an agreed limit on the number of active vans at any one time or such.

This was all a good 6+ yrs ago so lots may have changed since then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Mimon wrote: »
    I'm sure they take road conditions into consideration. If very wet or foggy they will be generally stricter than if a dry day with good visibility.

My source for this is reading it here so don't take as gospel.

Have passed Gardai with the speed gun doing 130 before with no consequence, presume 130 on my speedo is something just over 120 in reality?
    125kmh on dash is gps 120 in my car anyway

125kmh on dash is gps 120 in my car anyway

Mine is about the same - I think all cars are built with the speedometers being a little optimistic. Have never had a car that was going faster than the speedometer said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Miscreant

etxp wrote: »
    I always heard that as soon as you see them get on the brakes as they are set up to get the car quite close to the van, 50 meters was mentioned. How true this is i don't know. It was told to me by a Garda, but how much they know about them i don't know either.

Might explain why a lot of people jam on the brakes when there is even a mere whiff of a speed van in the distance. If you are within the limit, there is absolutely no need to slow down. I have seen people apply their brakes at 100kph on the motorway to slow down, despite the limit being 120 where they are. The same goes for staying behind a Garda car on the motorway when they are clearly below the posted limit. I always see convoys of cars behind them where people are afraid to overtake.... If you are within the posted limit, you have nothing to fear, go ahead and overtake the Garda car.

By all means, pay attention to the road and keep an eye out for speed cameras and if you want to exceed the limit, then fire away (it is your choice). Some of the knee-jerk reactions to speed vans I see from drivers out there makes me wonder what is going through their mind at the time. It is obviously not a fear of speeding... it is a fear of being caught. :)

I did go on a Safety Rep course with a GoSafe driver, only got to chat to him a small bit.

He said that they submit all the over limit readings to Gardai with info on traffic volume and weather and an office in the Gardai decide who gets a fine.. So in theory he reported everyone who was even 1km over.

Really wish i had gotten more info out of the chap. He did say that at the time less than half the vans on the road were actively catching people - apparently lots of the vans are doing market research essentially - they have an agreed limit on the number of active vans at any one time or such.

This was all a good 6+ yrs ago so lots may have changed since then

Yes, its all kind of a mystery isnt it! Like if you dont get the fine it could be cos it wasnt active at the time, the range or you werent actually speeding. I have only got one fine years ago and that time i definitely drove past the van speeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

Whocare wrote: »
    Anyone know how quickly do sent out fine
    What?

You know exactly what they meant.

You know exactly what they meant.

Within a month its supposed to be.

Always hear that it should be withing 2 weeks - assume a month would still be realistic, after that I suppose the odds are you are in the clear.

Then again no doubt there are stories of much longer waits

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jaqueline Monedula

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone is able to help. I've also posted in the speed camera megathread, which seemed to stop in 2020, whereas this one's more up to date, however if anyone can help specifically with the following I'd be grateful:

Scenario:

Drishane Road, Millstreet, Cork coming away from centre towards Drishane Castle.
    I come round a corner past the Dairygold co-op, and spot Garda Traffic 4x4 sitting at the far end of the road just where it turns left to the cemetery so it is facing a long straight stretch out of front windscreen, and out of side windows.
    For some reason I decided that doing 55/56kph was fine, and carried on until my brain kicked in and as I got really close to the marked 4x4 I was doing 49/50kph. Don't ask, just stressed about covid in family and not paying detailed attention to my speed. I'm normally a bit neurotic about it tbh.

I looked at the Gard in the front seat as I got close (could only see one Gard) and he quite frankly had a thousand yard stare on him, and was just looking up the road the way I'd come. Couldn't see anyone round the back of the vehicle skulking.

Questions:

1. Would there likely have been another Gard in the back using a speed camera through the side window which had darkened glass?

2. Do An Garda Siochana use ANPR to catch speeders (presuming all Garda Traffic 4x4s have ANPR systems?). All road tax and insurance and NCT in order.

3. Does a Gard have to be out of the vehicle to use the new speeding cameras or can s/he just lean out of the window and point it at traffic?

and, and this is the question to which I really really would LOVE an answer from either a Gard or an ex-Gard, or someone who truly "knows"

4. How long does it normally/usually take Garda Traffic branch to issue non-intercept FCPNs? I know I've 28 days from the date of issue of the FCPN, but there seems to be absolutely no clarity on how fast the Gardai actually issue the FCPN.

I found something in "the Fixed Charge Processing System" (a report of the AGS Inspectorate) but it dates back to 2014, and is therefore rather out of date "Recommendation 2.6.....The Inspectorate recommends that the Garda Síochána ensure full compliance with the timeframes laid down in the Fixed Charge Processing System policy manual"...... but could I find the Fixed Charge Processing System policy manual? Of course not, it's an internal AGS document I am guessing. So, is there ANY duty upon a Gard to actually get the FCPN out to a person, or can they sit on it for months and months and months, which is most unfair to the driver, in my opinion. Is there a time limit overall? Six months minus 56 days (the 2x 28 days for payment) seems to be a generally held view. My nerves will be shredded by the end of September!

5. It is likely that a traffic corps 4x4 would solely be running ANPR checks (though this refers back to question 2). I don't know what else he would be doing?!

6.I know I know, don't speed, and you won't have all this worry, please don't tell me that, I already know and am beating myself up. I am also aware that my speedo runs somewhat fast....do the Gards have discretion if I was actually doing 51/52 kph (in a 50kph zone)?

Go raibh maith agat / Thanks in advance for your patience with yet another set of speeding questions.

Jaqueline

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Killinator

1: Possible but not likely, generally they are outside of the vehicle using either a tripod or the vehicle itself for stability.

2: ANPR is not used for catching speeders, however its recording could be used as a proof, eg: dangerous driving in a chase, but it would indicate the speed the patrol vehicle is driving and not an exact speed for the offending vehicle which would be an issue.
    But if the patrol vehicle was stationary then it would just show as 0km/h.

3: They could lean out the window

4: Gardai have 107 days to issue an FCN

5: They could be running ANPR solely or just a speed gun or the new mobility app, or all 3 or a combination of the 3

6: Yes we have discretion, general regular Gardai will use a bit more than traffic but I don't know too many who would do you for being 5 or 6 over let alone only 1 or 2 after correction for speedo. A speed van maybe but not a Garda manned vehicle

I wouldn't fret too much, you were probably approaching them at about 51/52 and they weren't bothered with it.

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone is able to help. I've also posted in the speed camera megathread, which seemed to stop in 2020, whereas this one's more up to date, however if anyone can help specifically with the following I'd be grateful:

Scenario:

Drishane Road, Millstreet, Cork coming away from centre towards Drishane Castle.
    I come round a corner past the Dairygold co-op, and spot Garda Traffic 4x4 sitting at the far end of the road just where it turns left to the cemetery so it is facing a long straight stretch out of front windscreen, and out of side windows.
    For some reason I decided that doing 55/56kph was fine, and carried on until my brain kicked in and as I got really close to the marked 4x4 I was doing 49/50kph. Don't ask, just stressed about covid in family and not paying detailed attention to my speed. I'm normally a bit neurotic about it tbh.

I looked at the Gard in the front seat as I got close (could only see one Gard) and he quite frankly had a thousand yard stare on him, and was just looking up the road the way I'd come. Couldn't see anyone round the back of the vehicle skulking.

Questions:

1. Would there likely have been another Gard in the back using a speed camera through the side window which had darkened glass?

2. Do An Garda Siochana use ANPR to catch speeders (presuming all Garda Traffic 4x4s have ANPR systems?). All road tax and insurance and NCT in order.

3. Does a Gard have to be out of the vehicle to use the new speeding cameras or can s/he just lean out of the window and point it at traffic?

and, and this is the question to which I really really would LOVE an answer from either a Gard or an ex-Gard, or someone who truly "knows"

4. How long does it normally/usually take Garda Traffic branch to issue non-intercept FCPNs? I know I've 28 days from the date of issue of the FCPN, but there seems to be absolutely no clarity on how fast the Gardai actually issue the FCPN.

I found something in "the Fixed Charge Processing System" (a report of the AGS Inspectorate) but it dates back to 2014, and is therefore rather out of date "Recommendation 2.6.....The Inspectorate recommends that the Garda Síochána ensure full compliance with the timeframes laid down in the Fixed Charge Processing System policy manual"...... but could I find the Fixed Charge Processing System policy manual? Of course not, it's an internal AGS document I am guessing. So, is there ANY duty upon a Gard to actually get the FCPN out to a person, or can they sit on it for months and months and months, which is most unfair to the driver, in my opinion. Is there a time limit overall? Six months minus 56 days (the 2x 28 days for payment) seems to be a generally held view. My nerves will be shredded by the end of September!

5. It is likely that a traffic corps 4x4 would solely be running ANPR checks (though this refers back to question 2). I don't know what else he would be doing?!

6.I know I know, don't speed, and you won't have all this worry, please don't tell me that, I already know and am beating myself up. I am also aware that my speedo runs somewhat fast....do the Gards have discretion if I was actually doing 51/52 kph (in a 50kph zone)?

Go raibh maith agat / Thanks in advance for your patience with yet another set of speeding questions.

Jaqueline

Whenever Gardai Gun you from handheld they tend to stop you and do you at the time. The exceptions to this are when you see a Garda with a big tripod camera job.

As is you are usually actually doing 3-5km/h below the speed you think you are at.

All above taken into account and reading your story you have little to nothing to worry about.

I would not be worried personally, have been in your shoes many times with no issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Peterlally1986

I seen a Garda with his window down and holding a camera at me as I drove past. I was over the 80km limit but slowed down when I seen him.

Do they still have to stop you?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I seen a Garda with his window down and holding a camera at me as I drove past. I was over the 80km limit but slowed down when I seen him.

Do they still have to stop you?

Thanks.

Yes. If you weren't pulled, you're ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The new systems they're using can record and take photos.

I've seen on twitter they are using it to get someone at a later stage.

On the N11 at kilmac, a megane passed many of us at 100km/h at least, it's a 60km/h zone the Garda was using the binoculars type and he took view from front and rear, he didn't go after him but id hazard a guess he was followed up at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,120 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't think they have to stop you anymore. The new hand held devices they have record images and they can issue fines from that, whereas the older hairdryer ones were radar only afaik. The new ones have greater range too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Peterlally1986

Ok. I heard something they had new tech that could record and a fine would follow in the post?

They don't have to stop you but it is best practice to do so so as the FCN will otherwise be sent to last registered address of vehicle and not necessarily the person who was driving or their current address.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

When stopped and they issue no ticket nor mention a fixed penalty notice are you in the clear?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

When stopped and they issue no ticket nor mention a fixed penalty notice are you in the clear?

No. They may say something like ah sure we will see or continue on there slow down etc etc....
    Few weeks later, fcn in door.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

No. They may say something like ah sure we will see or continue on there slow down etc etc....
    Few weeks later, fcn in door.

That's pretty much it. It was 'you're alright. You'll have to slow down'. I did get a friend to check with a Garda he knows and his take was that I should have got the fcn there and then.

• Advertisement

That's pretty much it. It was 'you're alright. You'll have to slow down'. I did get a friend to check with a Garda he knows and his take was that I should have got the fcn there and then.

You don't get issued/given anything on the roadside. You don't 'get' anything there and then.

Nothing happens until the garda applies for the FCN to be created.
    That can be either at the roadside via the new mobility app or back at the station but either way it's not like a council sticking a parking ticket to your windscreen. You'll only find out a) if the garda outright tells you you're going to get a ticket or b) it arrives in the post some time afterwards

Advertisement