Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stomach Upset after Beer/Coffee/Non-Alcoholic Beer

Options
  • 21-01-2019 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I've noticed that beer & coffee are two things that particularly don't agree with me. Sometimes they are ok but on certain occasions give me stomach cramps/diarrhea.

Is there anything in common between these two things? I was thinking it may be celiac but I can eat bread with no issue.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

They both stimulate the production of stomach acid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

They both stimulate the production of stomach acid

Is there a treatment or term for this? Or just try cut them from the diet.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Pheonix10 wrote: »

You could take an antacid, but really just consider reducing your intake of foods/drinks that don't agree with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Pheonix10 wrote: »

You could try taking one out at a time but it may not be down to either though either may be compounding other things that have an impact on stomach acid production. If indeed that is the root cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Low Energy Eng

I have the same issue, more so with coffee. I've tried antacids but they aren't very effective, I just avoid coffee.
    If I do indulge, I find eating clean helps a lot, e.g. salads, avoid spice, avoid oily foods.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Speak to gp, and request the breath test for H pylori...

H pylori can cause the symptoms you mention here, and if untreated in some people can lead to ulcers, or worst case, stomach cancer

Easily treatable, easily detectable. Don’t ignore symptoms or self diagnose.

So I eventually got around to the doctor... Got tested for H pylori, came back negative.

Doctor prescribed me anti acid tablets (clearly stronger than the off-the-shelf tablets) and I'm 100 times better.

Wish I did it sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭GoogleBot

Another issue could be with microbiome, leaky gut, or some autoimmune conditions speak to the GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Hi,

I've had similar symptoms to you on and off for over a year now.

Doctor's really hadn't a clue, just kept prescribing Nexium which you're not meant to take long term anyway.

What were the antacid tablets you were prescribed?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭2 fast

I went on a prebiotic and nac to help my stomach issues. Theybe really cleared up, still get the odd issue especially if I eat food that don't agree with me like dairy, processed food.

• Advertisement

Hi @ArtVandelay76 ,

I'm on pantoprazole.

It seems to have helped from my stomach upwards toward my mouth.

Not from stomach downwards. I need something else for that direction. I still get a stingy feeling, bloated belly after a coffee.

But overall an improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 3 visions-of-fantasy

Hey @Low Energy Eng I've recently been tested and waiting on the results. How long did it take you approximately to receive the results if you don't mind me asking? Thank you.

Hi @visions-of-fantasy , it took a week

Advertisement