Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster v Toulouse - RDS - 12th Jan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭scott1974

Really looking forward to seeing Dupont again.
    Plays heads up rugby & backs himself. Already has a nice highlights reel against Irish teams.
    Oct ’16 Lev v Cast – Makes Stretch looks silly
    https://youtu.be/6EeV-CFwCIs?t=2125
    Jan ’17 Cast v Len – Poor Stretch
    https://youtu.be/ks_eQaMvEtE?t=28
    Feb ’18 Fra v Ire - Called the quick lineout and set TeddyT away……
    https://youtu.be/GlgwxecnOx8?t=117
    Oct ’18 Touls v Len – Came on at 10 & made some nice breaks
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaKuGfUw1bw

On the last clip, I had forgotten Ryhs kicked the ball away in such a great position.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Really looking forward to seeing Dupont again.
    Plays heads up rugby & backs himself. Already has a nice highlights reel against Irish teams.
    Oct ’16 Lev v Cast – Makes Stretch looks silly
    https://youtu.be/6EeV-CFwCIs?t=2125
    Jan ’17 Cast v Len – Poor Stretch
    https://youtu.be/ks_eQaMvEtE?t=28
    Feb ’18 Fra v Ire - Called the quick lineout and set TeddyT away……
    https://youtu.be/GlgwxecnOx8?t=117
    Oct ’18 Touls v Len – Came on at 10 & made some nice breaks
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaKuGfUw1bw

Yes Castres really missed a gem there when he left them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Im seeing lots of positivity about our chances on various fora. While not exactly being presented as a foregone conclusion, from what I have heard and read its seems there is a confident expectation among analysts, neutrals and most Leinster fans (many of whom are more knowledgeable and astute than I) that we will win this with some expecting it to be pretty handy in the end.

Am I the only one not feeling it?

We are playing a very formidable and resurgent team that is in an incredible run of form. They have pretty much their first team out as far as I can see, whereas we are missing a very significant number of first choice starters. But its the absence of Sexton, Lowe and Toner that worry me most. We were beaten already by Toulouse, albeit narrowly, with a far better team than the one that takes the field today. We are missing arguably the best flyhalf in the world, our most potent attacking weapon in Lowe and our chief lineout option and organiser. There is no like for like replacements for any of them. On top of that, for yet another game we have a bench that just underwhelms in terms of its impact.

Can home advantage and the traditional french flakiness when playing away mitigate all of these factors? I just don't see it. I think going on form and looking at those two teams, Toulouse should be favourites. I think a 1 point win would be a fantastic result for us, however I think that we might be battling for a LBP by the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

mangobob wrote: »
    Im seeing lots of positivity about our chances on various fora. While not exactly being presented as a foregone conclusion, from what I have heard and read its seems there is a confident expectation among analysts, neutrals and most Leinster fans (many of whom are more knowledgeable and astute than I) that we will win this with some expecting it to be pretty handy in the end.

Am I the only one not feeling it?

We are playing a very formidable and resurgent team that is in an incredible run of form. They have pretty much their first team out as far as I can see, whereas we are missing a very significant number of first choice starters. But its the absence of Sexton, Lowe and Toner that worry me most. We were beaten already by Toulouse, albeit narrowly, with a far better team than the one that takes the field today. We are missing arguably the best flyhalf in the world, our most potent attacking weapon in Lowe and our chief lineout option and organiser. There is no like for like replacements for any of them. On top of that, for yet another game we have a bench that just underwhelms in terms of its impact.

Can home advantage and the traditional french flakiness when playing away mitigate all of these factors? I just don't see it. I think going on form and looking at those two teams, Toulouse should be favourites. I think a 1 point win would be a fantastic result for us, however I think that we might be battling for a LBP by the end.

We've become so accustomed to having such strength in depth that even with a rake of our first choice internationals out injured, there's still an expectation that we'll be the better team.

Personally I think it'll be an extremely close game, if we can keep things tight up front and starve their backline of possession we're in with a chance of squeaking out a win. And if we win this it'll be huge for the squad I think, being able to go out and beat a team like Toulouse who are in fantastic form, while missing some of our bigger names.

Either way it's going to be a cracking game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Incredible turnover by VDF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Did the ref not say taken back in at the ruck before McGrath just cleared the lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭murtyd17

Fast start to this

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Jamie calling JVdF "Van der Flyer" is annoying me already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Good start

• Registered Users Posts: 12,996 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

TV 3 commentary informs us that Ross Byrne has played 13 games in this competition and never lost a game. And he's started five game for Leinster in the cup, of which he was won all five :rolleyes:

Come back Ryal Nugent, all is forgiven :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

TV 3 commentary informs us that Ross Byrne has played 13 games in this competition and never lost a game. And he's started five game for Leinster in the cup, of which he was won all five :rolleyes:

Come back Ryal Nugent, all is forgiven :)

I've already switched to Channel 4, only problem there is the crowds noise is much lower than on Virgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

When that knock on happened did the toulouse player kicked it forward from offside position

Heaslip is cheerleading on Channel 4.
    Scrum penalty to Toulouse, referee saying Healy dropped it.
    "I'm not going to say who did or didnt drop it, but its a fair penalty". Just say Healy dropped it then FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Toulouse getting over the gain line every phase so far is worrying.

Huget doesn't seem interested at all, he's jogging around, playing touch tackling, caused that knock on by half ársing a line.

Looking offside a few times...?

Ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Any danger of offside ever being called properly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Incredible defence

• Registered Users Posts: 8,523 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Breakdown is a mess. No effort to get tacklers to roll at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Mc grath is floating passes out to Ringrose, Stockdale would have a few intercepts by now if he was playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

jesus that was poor from healy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Why is this not on in the Aviva?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Phenomenal defence from Toulouse but ref is giving us nothing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The Nal wrote: »

It's a home game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Spectacular defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

This on virgin?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

mangobob wrote: »
    Phenomenal defence from Toulouse but ref is giving us nothing here.

The 3 points stemmed from a kick out on the full that the ref forgot to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Why the hell did Larmour cut back there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

The Nal wrote: »

Leinster can only move 2 games a season to Lansdowne, one is the December Heineken Cup game and the other is Munster

Advertisement