Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suitable Bike for Trip to Europe

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

OP just something on the Scottoiler.

Although it cuts out a huge amount of chain maint they do require regular inspection and oil top ups.

If you're going to choose a chain driven bike and install a scottoiler then I'd start saving some oil engine oil as a top up and don't bother with the Scottoiler bottles. The engine oil will be a littler dirtier but you're touring so a clean bike isn't an issue, and its just as effective as a lube. Top up the Scottoil bottle with your old engine oil.

Finally Youtube is full of people who've traveled the globe on much smaller bikes than a liter bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MarkHenderson

Did it to central Europe (Switzerland,Italy, Austria) last summer on a busa and never regretted it. 10K kms altogether. The only bad bike is an unreliable bike.

GS should be last on anyone's list so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Thanks for all the replies folks! More undecided now than ever but lots of food for thought that's for sure!

A big draw to the GS for me is the shaft drive, although I realise a Scottoiler pretty much mitigates the difference with chains but I think I'd still rather have shaft drive in this type of bike even though they can sometimes be troublesome.

The V-Storm 1000 is something I haven't given much thought too partially because of this but I might reconsider nonetheless.

I will be buying second hand so price does come into it, I'd like to keep it below 8k ideally.

Also, in reply to an earlier poster, I have a GSXR so I'm used to the sportier riding positions of the ZZR etc.

Speaking of which, how does the ZZR fair out in terms of comfort over long distance does anyone know? Say compared to the GS?

I understand the shaft thing, and I've btdt, but recently changed to an Africa Twin DCT which is my first chain driven bike in.........20+ years. My H-D is belt, which I love.

I hummed & hawed over the AT (chain) versus Crosstourer (shaft).....and picked the AT for weight and ease of use. The chain thing didn't matter in the end.

Don't know what I was worried about tbh, I'd buy a chain drive bike over a shaft for other reasons - whatever will stop a bike working these days, it's unlikely to be a chain !!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

OP just something on the Scottoiler.

Although it cuts out a huge amount of chain maint they do require regular inspection and oil top ups.

If you're going to choose a chain driven bike and install a scottoiler then I'd start saving some oil engine oil as a top up and don't bother with the Scottoiler bottles. The engine oil will be a littler dirtier but you're touring so a clean bike isn't an issue, and its just as effective as a lube. Top up the Scottoil bottle with your old engine oil.

Finally Youtube is full of people who've traveled the globe on much smaller bikes than a liter bike.

Also if the notion of using dirty oil irks you just use ATF fluid its cheaper then the bottles of scottoil and its the exact same stuff just a different colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,504 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Interesting topic.

What are peoples views on the Tiger 800 and 1200 Explorer for the OP needs?

A Sprint ST would be better imho

We can thank Charley and Ewan for that model getting dropped and Triumph producing a "me too" GS-alike instead :(

Did it to central Europe (Switzerland,Italy, Austria) last summer on a busa and never regretted it. 10K kms altogether.

Did you have to change the rear tyre halfway through? :)

On Scottoilers - with the touring resevoir you can get thousands of miles between fillups.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

All the bikes mentioned will do the job but I always opt for reliability over anything else
    I spotted a very nice varadero on dd just now and worth a look, a friend of mine had one a while back its a seriously reliable bike
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-varadero-xl1000-like-new-price-drop/18590431

mamax wrote: »
    All the bikes mentioned will do the job but I always opt for reliability over anything else
    I spotted a very nice varadero on dd just now and worth a look, a friend of mine had one a while back its a seriously reliable bike
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-varadero-xl1000-like-new-price-drop/18590431

That looks like a nice bike. I've never rode one but they're supposed to be super comfy. I was chasing one a few years back but couldn't find one in my budget and opted for the smaller DL650 Vstrom instead.

A mate of mine did Europe on a Varadero two years ago and had to replace a rectifier in Italy.

I think we had a poster here who was touring through Russia on one, anyone remember?.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭listermint

mamax wrote: »

Beauty and all that but I think the styling has aged badly on them. Really don't look the part.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

listermint wrote: »
    Beauty and all that but I think the styling has aged badly on them. Really don't look the part.

Styling could be a bit better I suppose and not ridden one in a few years but they are a mile muncher, comfortable and bulletproof, I nearly bought one before I picked up the TDM a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

That looks like a nice bike. I've never rode one but they're supposed to be super comfy. I was chasing one a few years back but couldn't find one in my budget and opted for the smaller DL650 Vstrom instead.

A mate of mine did Europe on a Varadero two years ago and had to replace a rectifier in Italy.

I think we had a poster here who was touring through Russia on one, anyone remember?.

I do, I know him. Lives in Galway.

https://www-thejournal-ie.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.thejournal.ie/best-road-trip-6-2776289-May2016/?amp=1&amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCCAE=#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Comfort and storage would be my main issues. I like the big trials style myself as the upright seating position and decent screen would be 2 big factors. Nice being able to stand up on a gs on long runs. I don't know about current models, but when I had one the adventure models screen and leg wind protection from the tank was brilliant.
    Chain v shaft isn't a big issue really, and I think any modern bike is reliable.

Storage is vital, if you have 2 big side panniers and can leave space in a top box for a jacket and helmet it's dead handy for stopping places for leaving a lid and jacket in instead of lugging them around everywhere, especially in heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

and what Cian pointed out is why the GSA has always been untouchable, it offers so many positives with the only negative being price, but hey, if you want the best you have to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

DR-Z400. Now hear me out. Sure its got the mileage of an old supercar and sure it will break your back and no doubt the wind will be a problem but think about it? Its a really fun bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Rory28 wrote: »
    DR-Z400. Now hear me out. Sure its got the mileage of an old supercar and sure it will break your back and no doubt the wind will be a problem but think about it? Its a really fun bike.

It'd be interesting on the motorway with luggage !!

It's on my bucket list though. I'd love one.

D3V!L wrote: »
    It'd be interesting on the motorway with luggage !!

It's on my bucket list though. I'd love one.

They're just a toy, you'd be bored in a week.

Good for wheelies and not much more.

We had one for awhile and tbh they're not a bike you'd travel on. The day we bought it I rode it from Drogheda to Dublin 13 and the thing nearly needed an engine rebuild afterwards lol.

There's not a chance I'd look at one for touring. Get one, take a few spins up the Dublin/Wicklow mountains on it then sell it a week later if it hasn't been stolen by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

You want:
    • A bike that'll tour comfortably
    • Carry luggage and will be fun on the twisties (you're used to sportsbikes)
    • You don't mind shaft or chain
    • Budget is €8,000.

I'd second GBX when he said you want a Z1000SX, with the caveat of getting one with aftermarket suspension and a proper ECU remap.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

A Sprint ST would be better imho

We can thank Charley and Ewan for that model getting dropped and Triumph producing a "me too" GS-alike instead :(

Did you have to change the rear tyre halfway through? :)

On Scottoilers - with the touring resevoir you can get thousands of miles between fillups.

No need to change tyres when you have road 5 GT's. Expect to get about 14k out of them. Was getting 12k kms from the PR4 GT's. 1 change of oil though,no filter.

Have an E system Scottoiler on the busa that I filled 3 times while on that trip. That was with the oiler set to 60secs. Standard reservoir.

Advertisement