Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suitable Bike for Trip to Europe

Options
  • 10-01-2019 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

Hey folks,

Planning a trip across Europe (to Poland/surrounding areas) and am wondering what ye think would be the most suitable bike for the job?

I have previously toured Europe on a 1998 Deauville which managed the job just fine but this time round I would like to upgrade and have bit more capacity...in terms of power, presence and luggage. The R1200GS is the main contender in my mind. These are very popular and seem to be a firm favorite among the touring crowd so it seems the obvious choice. However is there others I should be considering?

I can't envisage too much off roading/trails if any, hence why I am also open to considering the "(sport) touring" bikes such as the likes of the FJR1300, R1200RT or even the ZZR1400.

Then there is the R1200GS Adventure which has an even bigger fuel tank as well as a few other extras. If considering a GS is this the one to go for?

I would plan on keeping the bike long term so something that could be used as a sort of "all rounder" would be a bonus.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭D3V!L

GS Adventure hands down

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

D3V!L wrote: »
    GS Adventure hands down
    Only if you have recovery and don't mind the odd "being stranded" on the side of the road. :rolleyes:. Go with something Japanese . FJR Super Tenere Africa Twin VFR or Versy to name just a few :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,280 ✭✭✭✭blade1

If you've only done it on a deauville, doing it on a zzr1400 will feel like doing it on a moto gp bike.

If you are not used to sport style bars go for something that you will be sitting straight up on and that has a comfy seat .

Emmersonn wrote: »
    Only if you have recovery and don't mind the odd "being stranded" on the side of the road. :rolleyes:. Go with something Japanese . FJR Super Tenere Africa Twin VFR or Versy to name just a few :D

I did nearly 6k over 9 days on a GSA on the continent and it never missed a beat.

All bikes have their problems. Haven't had one that was completely infallible yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Vstrom 1000.

Eats the miles , large tank and you can service it with the provided kit under the seat.

Throw a scottoiler on it and its worry free motoring.

I'ver never owned a GS myself but they are a joy to ride but come with the attached price too. My only experience with them in terms of maintenance was a friend having a heartbreaking bill for repair work on the shaft.

Do not know if they have other maintenance problems , but i like to have something that i can fix myself tbh especially if its a solo trip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If you want an alternative to a GS then I'd suggest the Vstrom 1000, although if you're not carrying a pillion then the little Vstrom 650 is a huge saving on gas.. The Versys 1000 is a massive machine, beautiful. I had one for awhile but never took it out of the country.

I'm on a 1200GS now and if I was to change it would be for the better deal I'd get on the two machines above.

But if I'd the money and really wanted something which could stretch its legs for many hundreds of kilometers between fill ups then it would defo be the 120GSA.

Just a point about the tank range on the GSA, if you're with mates who have to fill up every 200-250 kilometers and you're stopping with them then the advantage of having the huge GSA tank is gone. But damn its a beast of a bike.

Also to add, should check out the Dutch Girl who rode her Wee DL560 Vstrom around the world. Solo. no backup team like Ewan and the lads.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOZaDWUdUhSyz4TXLeAuKtA

Side of the road repairs to by herself.

Another comfy long hauler is the Varadero. Quite similar to the Vstrom 1000.

I've been trying to find something equivalent to the GSA with regards to tank range and I can't. One of the main factors in keeping it unlike every other bike I've owned.

listermint wrote: »
    Also to add, should check out the Dutch Girl who rode her Wee DL560 Vstrom around the world. Solo. no backup team like Ewan and the lads.

Is there nothing more attractive that a woman that knows her way around a bike !! :D

To my darling wife if you're reading this, it was a general comment. ;)

Is there nothing more attractive that a woman that knows her way around a bike !! :D

To my darling wife if you're reading this, it was a general comment. ;)

lol :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

listermint wrote: »

I'll have a look through her channel now.

One of my all time favorite bikes was my Vstrom DL650 and there's hardly a day goes by when I don't regret getting rid of it.

I'd find it hard to drop below a 1000cc again, and I absolutely love my GS (had done since the test ride) but if I was to go small again I'd be going for a DL650 ~ or the older F800GS, I didn't particularly like the new bike.

The baby Vee is a little beaut only let down by budget suspension. But they just go and go and are miser's on juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Hey folks,

Planning a trip across Europe (to Poland/surrounding areas) and am wondering what ye think would be the most suitable bike for the job?

I have previously toured Europe on a 1998 Deauville which managed the job just fine but this time round I would like to upgrade and have bit more capacity...in terms of power, presence and luggage. The R1200GS is the main contender in my mind. These are very popular and seem to be a firm favorite among the touring crowd so it seems the obvious choice. However is there others I should be considering?

I can't envisage too much off roading/trails if any, hence why I am also open to considering the "(sport) touring" bikes such as the likes of the FJR1300, R1200RT or even the ZZR1400.

Then there is the R1200GS Adventure which has an even bigger fuel tank as well as a few other extras. If considering a GS is this the one to go for?

I would plan on keeping the bike long term so something that could be used as a sort of "all rounder" would be a bonus.

Thoughts?

I fail to see the point of the Adventure GS on continent where there's petrol stations every few miles. You could say the same for the roads.

There's no doubting GS is great to ride and very competent: but a DL/Varadero etc etc will do it at a fraction of the price.

Me, I'm more interested in lighter bikes these days, and the F-GS as mentioned is very capable.

As for being likely to 'make it', these days, you could tour the EU on a 125 if you had the time - I know a few who tour Europe on old Vespa's without too much trouble.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    I fail to see the point of the Adventure GS on continent where there's petrol stations every few miles. You could say the same for the roads.

550+ k's between fill ups is fantastic when touring over long distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

CBF1000, similar for comfort to the dullville, much more poke. Decent luggage options.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

550+ k's between fill ups is fantastic when touring over long distances.

Yes but carrying 20kg+ extra and high up, as well - and no-one sits in the saddle for 550kms.

You'd at least stop for sustenance. I'm assuming OP is going on a holiday, not an Iron Butt award....... :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭GBX

CBF1000GT
    Older Fazer 1000 (bigger tank) if it had luggage.
    ZZR1200 /1400

Z1000SX

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Interesting topic.

What are peoples views on the Tiger 800 and 1200 Explorer for the OP needs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

If you are staying on tarmac then save yourself a lot of money and get an R1200RT. All the comfort (and more) of the GS at lower price. Better setup for the road.

I drove one from here to Romania. Most comfortable bike i ever rode. Roscoff to Mont Blanc in a single day with no aches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Buy a Harley, Streetglide is my preference

The GSA is great and i liked the 330 mile non-stop between petrol stations, if you need to get somewhere fast the petrol stops really cut into your timeline.

Only issue i had with the GSA is a personal one, i don't like the fact it doesn't have a full frame and uses the engine block as an integral piece of the structure, guess that's how they keep the weight down

Buy a Harley, Streetglide is my preference

The GSA is great and i liked the 330 mile non-stop between petrol stations, if you need to get somewhere fast the petrol stops really cut into your timeline.

Only issue i had with the GSA is a personal one, i don't like the fact it doesn't have a full frame and uses the engine block as an integral piece of the structure, guess that's how they keep the weight down

I went from a Street Glide back to the GSA. The SG is a fantastic machine, really miss mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,280 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Interesting topic.

What are peoples views on the Tiger 800 and 1200 Explorer for the OP needs?

My view would be buy a 1050 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MarkHenderson

Did it on a 1998 R1 and a 2011 gsxr1000. Believe me when you hit the good roads you won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

As said earlier a GS . . . . . But an 1150 GS Adventure. 31L tank and a great riding position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Have an RT1200 but have yet to do any serious miles. Came across this VStorm on DD, looks the part

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/2014-suzuki-v-strom-1000-with-full-luggage-/20555120

cubix wrote: »
    Have an RT1200 but have yet to do any serious miles. Came across this VStorm on DD, looks the part

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/2014-suzuki-v-strom-1000-with-full-luggage-/20555120

Nice bike that. They've done a fair bit of mileage so far. Kept well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Has that helped focus your initial options ... to almost every make and type of motorbike on the market!

But seriously ..
    I agree a GS is a good contender. Personally I wouldn't opt for the Adv model either.
    Are you thinking new or second-hand?
    If s-hand, late model twin-cam, oil-cooled R1200GS are highly rated. I would avoid early models of the new liquid cooled.
    F800/700GS definitely worth considering if you're not set on shaft-drive. Good fuel economy too. Don't assume it's lighter than R1200, bit more top-heavy.
    V-Strom - great bike too. Don't rule out the 650DL. I agree with comments about budget suspension and brakes but maybe newer models are better. (Are they? I'm curious to know.)

cubix wrote: »

That's super clean with the mileage. That's someone who knows how to keep a bike

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Did it to central Europe (Switzerland,Italy, Austria) last summer on a busa and never regretted it. 10K kms altogether. The only bad bike is an unreliable bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭sleepysniper

Thanks for all the replies folks! More undecided now than ever but lots of food for thought that's for sure!

A big draw to the GS for me is the shaft drive, although I realise a Scottoiler pretty much mitigates the difference with chains but I think I'd still rather have shaft drive in this type of bike even though they can sometimes be troublesome.

The V-Storm 1000 is something I haven't given much thought too partially because of this but I might reconsider nonetheless.

I will be buying second hand so price does come into it, I'd like to keep it below 8k ideally.

Also, in reply to an earlier poster, I have a GSXR so I'm used to the sportier riding positions of the ZZR etc.

Speaking of which, how does the ZZR fair out in terms of comfort over long distance does anyone know? Say compared to the GS?

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies folks! More undecided now than ever but lots of food for thought that's for sure!

A big draw to the GS for me is the shaft drive, although I realise a Scottoiler pretty much mitigates the difference with chains but I think I'd still rather have shaft drive in this type of bike even though they can sometimes be troublesome.

The V-Storm 1000 is something I haven't given much thought too partially because of this but I might reconsider nonetheless.

I will be buying second hand so price does come into it, I'd like to keep it below 8k ideally.

Also, in reply to an earlier poster, I have a GSXR so I'm used to the sportier riding positions of the ZZR etc.

Speaking of which, how does the ZZR fair out in terms of comfort over long distance does anyone know? Say compared to the GS?

The super tenere is shaft too.

Advertisement