Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body & Soul Festival 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Look a the 2013 lineup, Bad Seeds, PiL, **** Buttons, Jon Hopkins, Solange, Kurt Vile. That was a stellar lineup. 2014 was Goldfrapp, Caribou, Darkside, John Grant, Mount Kimbie, Jon Hopkins. Again a cracking lineup.

Just wanted to come back to this too — you have to remember the context of those artists at the time. Solange only had that one (great) EP out in 2012 (presuming they'd have booked most acts the year before the actual festival). Kurt Vile didn't really become well known until after Pretty Daze (which was only released a couple of months before the festival) and his War on Drugs connection. John Grant took off after his Hercules and Love Affair collab and the awards for Pale Green Ghosts (but arguably wasn't really well known until late 2014).

There's been a lot of foresight from the B&S bookers, and we look back on these seemingly big lineups that might not have seemed that way to most people at the time!

Granted, losing Santigold off the lineup this year makes it seem much less ambitious, but it should be noted that they did book her, and they were willing to pay for an act of that scale. If they've struggled to book a replacement, I'd wager that's more to do with the fact that she cancelled at the start of May, when most acts are already booked up for the summer touring schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I wouldnt be too hard on them for struggling to find a replacement. Most acts of that caliber organize tours a year in advance and it’s not like B&S have a load of cash they can offer above the normal fee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Sleaford Mods added. That'll do nicely!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hugeglobe

AND Ibibo Sound Machine. Wasn't expecting that!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The last mess in 2017 for Body&Soul when a bunch of artists booked for Sunday got stranded at a European airport because of a bomb hoax, I thought it was a coup that they got The Beat so quickly to replace the Songhoy Blues cancellation. Even more poignant now with the recent passing of Rankin Roger.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,404 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Body & Soul is DELIGHTED to announce FIVE brilliant new music acts that will be joining our line-up for #BodySoul19, @sleafordmods , @CupcakKe_rapper , @IbibioSound , @Parra_for_Cuva and @SSION Unfortunately, this great news is in response to some disappointing news. 1/3

Alongside the previously announced @Santigold, @princessnokia_ and @Kiddysmile also won’t be able to make it to our 10th Anniversary edition due to unforeseen circumstances. We join them in sending love and sincere apologies to all Body & Soulers. 2/3
    D8dzkrEWkAAl2EG.png:large

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Peterd66

But princess Nokia and kiddysmile another no show. I don't think I have ever attended a festival that year after year seems to have so many cancels/no shows.

Also replacements not up to headliner. I am with Pabloroy on this. This is my last year and will swith to ATN or Greenman

P

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Peesh89

Just went to listen to the newbies I didn't know with sneaky headphones in work.. Highly suggest not listening to Squidward Nose by Cupcakke if you're in work. Tried to pass off a surprised laugh/choke as a sneeze/cough. She seems nice :) added to list!

They look like they could be fun. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Sleaford Mods - latest album is a cracker and are great live (best act at EP last year). Ye are a lucky bunch!

• Advertisement

Cupcakke seems like a fairly close like-for-like with Princess Nokia. Ssion sound excellent and I'm going to dig into their discography a bit more. Sleaford aren't really my cuppa, but I know a lot of people love them and will be happy with their addition. Ibibio are right up my alley, sound excellent and like a lot of fun. Parra for Cuva sound like a decent Kiasmos-style act.

Sleaford Mods were the only act I'd heard of before, but then so was Santigold of the cancelled lot.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Cupcakke seems like a fairly close like-for-like with Princess Nokia. Ssion sound excellent and I'm going to dig into their discography a bit more. Sleaford aren't really my cuppa, but I know a lot of people love them and will be happy with their addition. Ibibio are right up my alley, sound excellent and like a lot of fun. Parra for Cuva sound like a decent Kiasmos-style act.

Sleaford Mods were the only act I'd heard of before, but then so was Santigold of the cancelled lot.

Ha! Just made that exact comparison about Parra for Cuva after listening to a song or three. Looking forward to that.
    Definitely fecked now for clashes..
    The Blaze, King Kong Comp, Meltybrains, Modeselektor, Soak, Dream Wife, Confidence Man, Coely, AE Mak, Just Mustard, Cupcakke, Parra for Cuva.. then all the Sing along Social, Mother and Mano Le Tough bits on Reckless in Love etc. help.

This is a ****ing jam

https://youtu.be/ZO769KQ_skE

This is a ****ing jam

Can you imagine that in evening sunshine. Christ...
    Get me to the field.

So two weeks away woo hoo i canna wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Actually sickened that Princess Nokia got cancelled. Didn't see any other of her euro dates get cancelled so that makes it slightly more annoying.

Peesh89 wrote: »
    Can you imagine that in evening sunshine. Christ...
    Get me to the field.

Just listened to a whole Spotify radio of their songs, and their range is pretty great. I'd imagine if they sang in English they'd be huge, but I love them already.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Ben Done

Peesh89 wrote: »
    Ha! Just made that exact comparison about Parra for Cuva after listening to a song or three. Looking forward to that.
    Definitely fecked now for clashes..
    The Blaze, King Kong Comp, Meltybrains, Modeselektor, Soak, Dream Wife, Confidence Man, Coely, AE Mak, Just Mustard, Cupcakke, Parra for Cuva.. then all the Sing along Social, Mother and Mano Le Tough bits on Reckless in Love etc. help.

Do yourself a favour and don't miss soak.
    The new album is great, and the gig at the button factory (with Pilllow Queens supporting) last week was class.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

Sad to see princess Nokia drop out but have to say I’m loving the new additions!

Never seen Sleaford Mods so that’s a nice bonus.
    Hope they are not on the main stage at a crappy time.

Anyone (Festival workers) travelling from Galway city on Tuesday 18th June to Ballinlough (Body&Soul) in the morning or afternoon, will chip in for fuel costs and snacks. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

This is a ****ing jam

Very happy about Ibibio Sound Machine addition. They played at B&S in 2016 and were one of my highlights.

Listened to them a lot after and love the music released since 2016. Exciting!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jmauel

Very happy about Ibibio Sound Machine addition. They played at B&S in 2016 and were one of my highlights.

Listened to them a lot after and love the music released since 2016. Exciting!

Just listening to these now, they are amazing. Great addition!!

whelzer wrote: »
    Sad to see princess Nokia drop out but have to say I’m loving the new additions!

Never seen Sleaford Mods so that’s a nice bonus.
    Hope they are not on the main stage at a crappy time.

They played on the main stage in 2017 and were brilliant. They should be on late enough in the evening if they are replacing Santigold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Booked weekend camping tickets for this months ago. Never been before and can't see any stage times or details available yet... so excuse the stupid question... is the Sunday a full day/night of gigs and most stay until Monday morning? Or does it wrap up earlier on the Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Booked weekend camping tickets for this months ago. Never been before and can't see any stage times or details available yet... so excuse the stupid question... is the Sunday a full day/night of gigs and most stay until Monday morning? Or does it wrap up earlier on the Sunday?

Finishes up 3-4am Monday morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭kwat

The timetable should be out soon. Had it this time last year I think.

The Blaze say they’re on the Sunday night :(
    Wound have been a perfect Friday or Saturday night headliner.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

kwat wrote: »
    The timetable should be out soon. Had it this time last year I think.

The Blaze say they’re on the Sunday night :(
    Wound have been a perfect Friday or Saturday night headliner.

Yeah I can't take time off work so will have to miss a lot of the Sunday evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Are Sleaford Mods meant to be the replacement for Santigold?
    keithkk16 wrote: »
    They played on the main stage in 2017 and were brilliant. They should be on late enough in the evening if they are replacing Santigold.

On the Sunday? I remember the main stage being empty for most of the day.

Are Sleaford Mods meant to be the replacement for Santigold?

On the Sunday? I remember the main stage being empty for most of the day.

Yeah there was a few replacements if you check back a few pages.

Sleaford Mods played on the Saturday night at 9.30 in 2017.

Yeah the main stage does be fairly empty until late on or its just people sitting down chilling during the day at the main stage. I felt sorry for pillow queens last year when they had a main stage slot at around 4ish on the sunday and there was maybe 30 People standing up to watch them.

• Advertisement

Anyone know what "RTE 2fm Classical Collision" could be?

Advertisement