Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They've killed the legacy skin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options

Comments

Back to normal now thankfully. If the VB skin or whatever name it has is ever gotten rid of that'll be me done with the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

Oh no, mine hasn't gone back. I think it's because I stupidly clicked on responsive site before going back to legacy and now I'll never have my green skin back :(

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

now never change again!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

yeah the trusty old BIE skin is dead, cos apparently that's the kind of change this place needs the most

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Here's what mine looks like

?width=605

?width=467&version=3464315

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Touch site on phone for lyfe lads n lassies...

I can't remember the last time I viewed Board's on my desktop tbh...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Horrible Shyte ...I want my “Cloud” skin back..can’t find it anywhere.

It was the skin of kings, we shall all mourn it greatly.

Back to normal thankfully, same as Johnny Dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

2. The 'Edit Option' to change skins was removed purposely this morning while we were making this change. Once we have found the issue with the above skins, I can reinstate the choices (now a much shorter list) so you can find a skin that suits you (White, Boards.ie Beta or forum default).

Seriously who thought that was a good idea without altering the announcement of the change from December

I wasted a fair amount of time looking for it and got stuck on the responsive site for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

m.boards.ie gone to sh1te now too. Might just be the push I need to quit. Though the weather forum..... Ar$e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

kenmc wrote: »
    m.boards.ie gone to sh1te now too. Might just be the push I need to quit. Though the weather forum..... Ar$e

It's the best and simplest out of them all but no adds, maybe that's why?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Has the old m.boards.ie site gone now? It doesn't seem to be working and the touch site seems to have taken its place. It's fussy and complicated, the simple mobile site was a dream to use and navigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

I used to happily use the m.boards.ie site but it now redirects to the desktop site :confused:

There are Chrome Firefox extensions that add styles to websites.. Maybe a few of the web devs on here, including myself, should create a good look for one of the site's skins.

Would there be much uptake I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Has the old m.boards.ie site gone now? It doesn't seem to be working and the touch site seems to have taken its place. It's fussy and complicated, the simple mobile site was a dream to use and navigate.

If it is gone I probably won't use boards half as much. I have tried the other formats and they just don't well or don't suit me. m.boards was/is superb to use on a hand-held device.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

oneilla wrote: »
    I used to happily use the m.boards.ie site but it now redirects to the desktop site :confused:
    Works fine for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

If it is gone I probably won't use boards half as much. I have tried the other formats and they just don't well or don't suit me. m.boards was/is superb to use on a hand-held device.

Yeah same, the m.boards.ie layout was brilliant, so easy to use.

I can't read the desktop site as easily on my phone.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

M.boards wasn't supposed to be removed but removal of skins seems to have caused it not to work for some users. We're looking at this today to see what's happened and how we can fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

It really was. Whenever I was on Boards on my phone it was with that skin. It was brilliantly suited to the small screen. The touch site displays less info and is far more clunky. I honestly would end up using the site less as it just wouldn't be as easy to use if that interface was removed. It'd be a site I'd only visit when on a desktop machine.
    M.boards wasn't supposed to be removed but removal of skins seems to have caused it not to work for some users. We're looking at this today to see what's happened and how we can fix it.

Please don't kill it for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭iHungry

Missing the m.boards.ie too. The front page still loads but when I click any threads it loads the full version

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Ah great stuff, glad to hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

You guys really need to get a better test & deployment system in place if that's the case. Better still roll back the broken changes and do some testing on a shadow site, and only then, when it's all working, roll it out to the main

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Used legacy skin with "dark or black" theme for years.

New skin set to dark at the moment.
    Text is just not clear enough. And i like black backgrounds so the light option for the new skin is no option.

And for that reason i have gone the "read all new posts" in 1 go more in the last month than in all those years before.
    Cant be arsed to strain my eyes

M.boards.ie should be back working for you all now. Thanks for your patience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I'm sorry but that responsive site is just awful. I tried it on my phone and honestly if that becomes the default option, I doubt I'll be using boards much.

5. Slightly off-topic but it needs to be said - the responsive site as it stands now will never be forced upon anyone.
    EdgeCase wrote: »
    I'm sorry but that responsive site is just awful. I tried it on my phone and honestly if that becomes the default option, I doubt I'll be using boards much.
    As I said earlier, no one will ever be forced to use the current responsive site. It will not become the default option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

As I said earlier, no one will ever be forced to use the current responsive site. It will not become the default option.

Isn't the responsive site still the default option when logging in from outside of Ireland? It certainly was for quite some time.

Also, if the responsive site is not the default, then why call the version most people use the "Legacy Site"?

A "legacy" option suggests something that is an older variant but not the current default.

Lots of confusing terminology around this, tbh.

Very sorry to have confused you. You are correct, responsive was the default site when logging in outside Ireland for a time. It is not any more specifically because a lot of people didn't want to use it and it was also causing some issues at times.

If we start changing the names that we and everyone else are used to now, things are likely to get even more confusing to be honest so the names will stay as they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I can't turn the legacy skin back on... I can click the link at the top or bottom of the page, but it won't load... Agghhhhhh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Every now and then I turn on the Responsive Site to see if it's gotten any better.

No, it has not.

Advertisement