Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop the Stash!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I haven't bought anything for myself as such this year and am busy using up existing products. However I did spend 100e last week on lookfantastic on Christmas presents. Hadn't planned to but they had great discounts on Espa products and gift sets so I bought a couple for friends. Didn't hurt that I got a free bodycare introductory set for free!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

I REALLY want the elf magnetic mask, but have been stopping myself from purchasing it the last couple of weeks. So far have done 2 make up and 1 skincare cull, with more to do as I still have too much that I cant see myself using.

Really struggling with my palettes like other people, I dont think I can justify holding onto so many when there are only a couple of shades I would use in each, and I have seen a couple of new ones that I want. I know I will HAVE to have the Urban Decay Game of Thrones stuff when its released.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

kcdiom wrote: »
    Really struggling with my palettes like other people, I dont think I can justify holding onto so many when there are only a couple of shades I would use in each, and I have seen a couple of new ones that I want. I know I will HAVE to have the Urban Decay Game of Thrones stuff when its released.
    Would it be an idea to carefully take out the shades you do use and put them all into something like a z palette?

I've 2 Mac blushes in my drawer that I don't really reach for - one is called LoveCloud, I can't remember what the other was called. But I wasn't reaching for them cos there seemed to be a dirty film or something on the top of the pans and little or no colour pay off. I scraped the tops of them with the back of one of those little brushes from Benefit you get with their bronzers and blushes. Now the pigment off them is unreal, used LoveCloud this morning, just touched the pan and still overdid it on the cheeks!

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Would it be an idea to carefully take out the shades you do use and put them all into something like a z palette?

I was thinking about that, will have another look into them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I've 2 Mac blushes in my drawer that I don't really reach for - one is called LoveCloud, I can't remember what the other was called. But I wasn't reaching for them cos there seemed to be a dirty film or something on the top of the pans and little or no colour pay off. I scraped the tops of them with the back of one of those little brushes from Benefit you get with their bronzers and blushes. Now the pigment off them is unreal, used LoveCloud this morning, just touched the pan and still overdid it on the cheeks!

Had the same issue with a Sephora blush! I think it’s caused by using damp brushes or a brush that’s been used with a liquid make up.

Had the same issue with a Sephora blush! I think it’s caused by using damp brushes or a brush that’s been used with a liquid make up.
    Ah thanks, I was wondering why it happened, that would make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Love this thread! Been trying to do the same since before Christmas, getting a little itchy now to shop to be honest! I was in MAC two weeks ago and so tempted to buy a new lippy, but couldn't settle on one that I loved or was utterly different from anything I had so didn't bother.

Newly finished:
    Rimmel Match Perfection concealer - good undereye concealer for no-makeup days as it blends well into my own skin, I'm not mad on the brush applicator on it though. Won't repurchase right now as I've about 10 concealers, 3 of which are undereye ones.
    NYX micro brow pencil - this is brilliant and I do want to repurchase but I need to use up some other brow products first, think I have one of every type of brow product there is! This is my favourite by far though.
    Loreal True Match foundation - will definitely repurchase this, it's my everyday foundation, particularly when my skin is decent.
    MAC Strobe Cream - love this but I've one or two other sheeny bases that I want to use up before I repurchase.
    MAC Faux lipstick - definitely will repurchase this at some point but gonna try and use up a few other nudes first. It's my first MAC empty so stashing it for the "back to mac"!

For those of you with opened products you won't use - maybe consider Depop, there's lots of makeup for sale on there and I've purchased from it. It can be annoying as there'll be girls selling half-used MAC lipsticks for €15+ making out they've only been swatched... :rolleyes: which is obvs a bit ick but I've bought 2 UD eyeshadow palettes, Full Spectrum and another colourful one that I wanted to play with but didn't want to drop ~€50 on, from Depop. Could be worth throwing your products up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

So I caved! My total beauty spend in 2019 is no longer €0 :(

I was in the uk for work and had a bit of shopping time in. I went to Deciem and rebought the coverage foundation in shade 1.2N and also shade 1.2YG which I hadn’t used before. Less than £12 for both, and I tried the 1.2YG today and it’s really nice, has a subtle gold shimmer so I’ll probably use it more for evening. Don’t feel too bad as I can just use them as everyday foundations as they’re so inexpensive.

I also rebought Bare Minerals Matte liquid lipstick in Swag. I’m 90% through the one I have and this is my 3rd time buying this product. It’s the only matte lip product that hasn’t dried out my lips and been actually comfortable to wear so at least I know this will get used and won’t be added to the pile!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Seems like they were sensible buys though Sozbbz! I didn't realise they had foundations with shimmer in them, I'd be very tempted myself!

In a bid to get through more samples I have lying around I used Cover FX Blurring Primer over the weekend and the finish was amazing! My makeup looked great in pics. I would consider buying this full price when I finish my others. I don't have much else to get through primer-wise so maybe that will be my first spend of the year.

• Advertisement

Twee. wrote: »
    Seems like they were sensible buys though Sozbbz! I didn't realise they had foundations with shimmer in them, I'd be very tempted myself!

Yes its pretty good, YG is for Yellow and Gold undertones. I now have 1.2 in N (neutral), Y (yellow) and YG. There is also a Pink toned option but on me, that would not be a good look, I'm naturally pink enough already.

I find it works nicely with a beauty blender, and considering the BB absorbs a fair bit of product, when the foundations are that cheap it doesnt matter so much.

Also I could be wrong here, but I don't see any mention of SPF in the foundations so they're handy for events where photos might be taken as I've been known to come out as a ghost in some pictures!

I'm also trying to chip away through my palettes - I've a serious backlog on urban decay naked ones, but currently loving my ABH modern renaissance. Had a bit of a wobble at the Huda Beauty counter in Arnotts recently but I resisted. Nowhere near finishing anything yet though!

I also caved and bought the new Sosu face tanning spray, and the elf booster hydration drops. I have some foundations that I find a bit cakey so I am hoping the drops will help me use them up (and at €10 they are much more pocket friendly than the Urban Decay alternative).

I also caved and bought the new Sosu face tanning spray, and the elf booster hydration drops. I have some foundations that I find a bit cakey so I am hoping the drops will help me use them up (and at €10 they are much more pocket friendly than the Urban Decay alternative).

I think UD have discontinued their Dropshots anyway, so worth a shot. I've not bought much from elf but the few bits I have have been good value for the money.

SozBbz wrote: »
    I think UD have discontinued their Dropshots anyway, so worth a shot. I've not bought much from elf but the few bits I have have been good value for the money.

Oh really? Explains why I could not get them! Although the girls in the Grafton St store a few weeks ago said they have a waiting list for them....who knows!

I am quite enjoying rediscovering 'new' old products I have and every time I think about making a purchase I remind myself of this thread!

Oh really? Explains why I could not get them! Although the girls in the Grafton St store a few weeks ago said they have a waiting list for them....who knows!

I am quite enjoying rediscovering 'new' old products I have and every time I think about making a purchase I remind myself of this thread!

Well I only heard that on the Beautiful Truths Insta, but she was an avid user of them and seemed quite devo not to be able to get them.

Yeah this thread is definitely making me more responsible. Like...obviously I just bought a few bits but I KNOW i'll use them. Its definitely helping me resist spur of the moment purchases that end up in a drawer.

This whole culture of MUAs and Instagram makes us all feel like we have to try every product and the market is so saturated right now. We each only have one face and can only use so many products!

Well I only heard that on the Beautiful Truths Insta, but she was an avid user of them and seemed quite devo not to be able to get them.

Yeah this thread is definitely making me more responsible. Like...obviously I just bought a few bits but I KNOW i'll use them. Its definitely helping me resist spur of the moment purchases that end up in a drawer.

This whole culture of MUAs and Instagram makes us all feel like we have to try every product and the market is so saturated right now. We each only have one face and can only use so many products!

I love Sinead, I think shes brilliantly honest about products.

You are very right about the MUAs etc, we are constantly 'influenced' and personally I ended up feeling inadequate if I wasn't constantly buying new bits. Thankfully, I have changed that mindset and there are still moments, but less times that I feel I HAVE to have whatever product is currently being mass promoted.

I also used to be embarrassed to ask for samples of products, which I no longer am. If I am buying something high end, I want to see how it goes on my face when I put it on, how it looks in different lighting and how it wears before purchasing, rather than letting someone put it on my face in a store and just buying it there and then. Its quite empowering :)

You've said what I was thinking! New products being released every week, new press drops and events for bloggers, it's getting overwhelming! I'm finding that I'm getting better at holding back on buying "stuff" that I would have otherwise bought before just cos I want to or cos I can afford it. And stuff that I am using I'm finding myself being more critical of them - a lot of things I've used up I actually wouldn't repurchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Hoolies

Have decided to "Shop the Stash". I bought three <eek> advent calendars at Christmas, so I have a lot of stuff to use up. I am not allowing myself to buy any eyeshadow palettes, highlighters or lipsticks. Will use up my foundations (using lightening drops where necessary). What I love most about the shop the stash, is that I am using my "fancy" products that I once would have held back for a special occasion. My mindeset has changed in the last few years, probably due to age, but I now use the expensive items, no point saving them for an occasion that may/may not happen.

Now that the makeup drawers are feeling controlled, I need to make a start on the clothes. Look at buying some more investment pieces - like a classic shirt, good jeans etc. Plan is to do a cull of the clothes this weekend............ I will be naked and bare faced if I keep going LOL

Hoolies wrote: »
    What I love most about the shop the stash, is that I am using my "fancy" products that I once would have held back for a special occasion. My mindeset has changed in the last few years, probably due to age, but I now use the expensive items, no point saving them for an occasion that may/may not happen.

I was definitely guilty of this in the past - saving things and then ultimately not using them. Not just with make up. My attitude now is that if you like something enough to spend money on it, then be prepared to use it straight away. if you can't/won't, then did you really need to buy it!?

Its especially true of make up, as some stuff has a short shelf life and is better used sooner rather than later. Not saying I go religiously by the 12/18 month symbols on the packaging, but its safe to say theres no prospect of makeup improving with age, its not like fine wine!

Hoolies wrote: »

Now that the makeup drawers are feeling controlled, I need to make a start on the clothes. Look at buying some more investment pieces - like a classic shirt, good jeans etc. Plan is to do a cull of the clothes this weekend............ I will be naked and bare faced if I keep going LOL

We may need a support thread in the Fashion forum too!

I read an article about upcoming makeup trends in Irish Tatler last month and Pat McGrath was saying we should wear all the mad colours we want, doesn't matter what constitutes as day, night, party "looks". So I dug out some electric blue metallic eyeliner on Saturday night and rocked it! The bloody thing cost me nearly €30 so no use sitting in a box. This weekend I will be piling on the glitter. I don't know what occasions I was saving all these things for :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement

Does anyone use Benefit products - their bronzers, blushes and highlights that come in those hard cardboard cubes?

I found that I hit pan in the Dandelion twinkle highlighter and the Hoola light bronzer quite quickly. They wouldn't be products I use daily. I'd never hit pan on a highlighter, I've used my Catrice one so much. On the other hand I've had the Hoola original bronzer for years. I've checked and even though the packaging is the same, there is 8g of product in the original Hoola whereas there is only 3g of product in Dandelion Twinkle and I think there's only 5g in the Hoola lite. But yet I've a mini of the Gold rush blush/highlight and that has 2.5g of product. Just something to watch out for....

Good catch, must keep an eye out for that kind of stuff.

Someone posted a spreadsheet of loads of popular products' price per ml/gram on Reddit and it was very interesting. There were some items from high end brands that were cheaper than pharmacy brands when you break it down by ml. I'll have a look for it tonight.

Totally agree with using up good things instead of saving them for best - a lady I used to work with told me once about when her husband died, he never got a chance to use the good whiskey and champagne he was constantly saving for special occasions, or the fancy glassware that never saw the light of day for the same reason. Really made me wonder why we generally deprive ourselves of the nice things we have instead of just using them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Totally agree with using up good things instead of saving them for best - a lady I used to work with told me once about when her husband died, he never got a chance to use the good whiskey and champagne he was constantly saving for special occasions, or the fancy glassware that never saw the light of day for the same reason. Really made me wonder why we generally deprive ourselves of the nice things we have instead of just using them

I totally agree, my sister in law thinks I’m rediculously decadent fir using new bridge cutlery as everyday cutlery. They were presents, I couldn’t bear to think they’d be growing mouldy in the attic while I used stuff I didn’t like

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Vanilla Cupcake

Hi Girls,

I also caved last weekend and bought 2 foundations (cyo lifeproof and loreal freshwear) also bought collection lightening drops and the new loreal more than concealer. Been wearing the cyo lifeproof all week for work but I've been mixing it in with the drops to make it a better match. I got the shade 103 as it was the most neutral light shade but still a bit off. Impressed with it so far. Nice medium coverage, looks like skin and wear time is good about 8-9 hours on my oily skin. The concealer is nice too very full coverage but can be a bit drying and heavy if i use too much, i literally only need to use a tiny dot! I Don't feel too guilty about the spend as I'm obsessed with foundations and concealers and would usually spend every week but I'm making an effort this year as I'm trying to use what I have and save money for that house deposit :)

Does anyone use Benefit products - their bronzers, blushes and highlights that come in those hard cardboard cubes?

I found that I hit pan in the Dandelion twinkle highlighter and the Hoola light bronzer quite quickly. They wouldn't be products I use daily. I'd never hit pan on a highlighter, I've used my Catrice one so much. On the other hand I've had the Hoola original bronzer for years. I've checked and even though the packaging is the same, there is 8g of product in the original Hoola whereas there is only 3g of product in Dandelion Twinkle and I think there's only 5g in the Hoola lite. But yet I've a mini of the Gold rush blush/highlight and that has 2.5g of product. Just something to watch out for....

I heard this a while ago that benefit new boxed blushes and bronzers have alot less product in them compared to older products not sure why this is but it's ridiculous considering the prices! I do love Hoola but I hate the packaging very bulky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Yeah the Benefit packaging really needs an update! I used to love it but I feel its pretty childish or something now.

I like stuff with a nice satisfying metallic click when you close the product (Armani Lipsticks :p). Also the silver eyebrow products look a bit cheap or something compared to other expensive brands.

ams wrote: »
    Yeah the Benefit packaging really needs an update! I used to love it but I feel its pretty childish or something now.

I like stuff with a nice satisfying metallic click when you close the product (Armani Lipsticks :p). Also the silver eyebrow products look a bit cheap or something compared to other expensive brands.

Benefit needs a revamp with all their packaging. They have some good products but I'm not sure who their target audience is anymore. Expensive products with cheap looking packaging!

I agree about the satisfying clicks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I've been shopping my stash since the new year. I had leftovers from a 2017 advent calendar and loads of half opened bits. It's so satisfying to cut open a tube and scrape out the last few bits. I've also realised not one of the hair products I've been using up suits my hair, which I think changed a lot during my last pregnancy, so I've passed them along to others and dumped a few. I'm finding the process great.

• Advertisement

Ok so I found a load of these tables that have price per ounce. Caveat, the prices are in dollars and there are some brands that are not available in Ireland. Interesting reading though, particularity the concealers! No 7 Radiant Glow concealer comes in more expensive per ounce that some Mac, Chanel and Clinique products.

Some are what you'd expect, but interesting all the same!

Lipstick https://www.reddit.com/r/MakeupAddiction/comments/7rahxe/update_i_calculated_the_lipstick_price_per_ounce/

Concealer https://www.reddit.com/r/MakeupAddiction/comments/7rvhfj/part_2_i_calculated_more_concealer_prices_per/

Brow products https://imgur.com/a/pevUF

More concealer https://www.reddit.com/r/MakeupAddiction/comments/7rmlco/inspired_by_uarmidalowe_post_i_calculated_the/

Cleansers https://www.reddit.com/r/SkincareAddiction/comments/7syg4v/misc_i_calculated_the_price_per_ounce_for_some/

Liquid lipstick
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MakeupAddiction/comments/7t6jak/liquid_lipsticks_by_price_per_ounce/

Advertisement