Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop the Stash!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

I have a half empty bottle of Catrice foundation that I liked, but found it was a bit dark for my skin tone. I decided to mix a few drops of it in with my normal foundation and so far I like the result. I’m happy to have a way to use it up as I liked it and even though it was cheap I’d have felt bad binning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I bought some acrylic storage in Penneys so that I can access what I already have- a large part of the issue was forgetting I had stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Great idea Lotus Flower - I saw some in Tiger and a few bits in Dealz recently too.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

I had a consultation in a skin clinic yesterday and was given a few samples of products recommended for my skin, I was skeptical which was why I left without buying anything but im actually blown away by the products she recommended me, my rosacea has almost completely cleared up already and my skins texture is already improving so much that I could wear less makeup today as a result.

The skin therapist told me to be careful of all over the counter skincare products as they contain so much alcohol and can destroy your skin. Im throwing out everything, all my cleansers, moisturisers and exfoliaters and tbh i'm happy to do so as ive a drawer so full of products it wont shut and is in need of a clear out. The products are expensive but its worth it if I see results and can dump all my useless products which are cluttering up the place.

Ive decided to stop wasting money on lots of different cheap skincare products and stick to a minimalist albeit expensive set of products.

I have found in the past that the results from recommendations (after a facial for example) arent great, and I feel that I wasted money on the products. I think I would need a weeks worth of samples at this stage to be convinced to part with my cash!

Totally agree though with the therapist re over the counter products, unless you know what you are looking at (and lets face it, a lot of us dont), we are buying stuff thats so bad for us just because its at a particular price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

I had a consultation in a skin clinic yesterday and was given a few samples of products recommended for my skin, I was skeptical which was why I left without buying anything but im actually blown away by the products she recommended me, my rosacea has almost completely cleared up already and my skins texture is already improving so much that I could wear less makeup today as a result.

The skin therapist told me to be careful of all over the counter skincare products as they contain so much alcohol and can destroy your skin. Im throwing out everything, all my cleansers, moisturisers and exfoliaters and tbh i'm happy to do so as ive a drawer so full of products it wont shut and is in need of a clear out. The products are expensive but its worth it if I see results and can dump all my useless products which are cluttering up the place.

Ive decided to stop wasting money on lots of different cheap skincare products and stick to a minimalist albeit expensive set of products.

Sounds brilliant! I came to the same conclusion a few years ago myself and now only buy Image products because I know they work well for me. The only non Image product I buy is the Bioderma micellar water which I like to have but only use infrequently as a make up remover (ie if I come in at 3am an can't be dealing with my usual routine!) Its the only micellar water that I don't feel ill effects from on my skin.

Do you mind me asking what range has worked so well for you?

On the subject of hoarding, since Image is expensive, their pre christmas gift sets are brilliant. I bought 4 of them in the black Friday sales (there was an extra 15-20% off) so I now have quite the stock pile, but I know it will all get used. I did the same thing last year and it worked really well, maybe only needed to buy one thing at full price over the year.
    Some salons appear to still have stock which they're selling off if you look around. They're never going to have the heavily medicated stuff in their gift sets but for the spf, standard cleansers and some nice serums, they're great.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Another product binned today and I have to say I was quite happy to be rid of it!
    The Primark x Alex Steinherr oil free gel hydrator

I tried the clay mask from this line over the weekend, your post reminded me to fish it out! My skin was soft enough after but it was quite red and patchy for about an hour afterwards. Also the consistency is a little weak/thin or something, which makes me wonder what's in it. I have used a lot of clay masks in the past as my skin can get oily and they're usually more thick, some grit even, more "clay" like!

This weekend I used Mac Studio Fix foundation, there's only a bit left in the bottle so I'm determined now to finish. I do like the product, but it's a little to full coverage for me these days. I prefer something that I can build up to the level of coverage I want. Probably will not repurchase after this bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

SozBbz wrote: »
    Sounds brilliant! I came to the same conclusion a few years ago myself and now only buy Image products because I know they work well for me. The only non Image product I buy is the Bioderma micellar water which I like to have but only use infrequently as a make up remover (ie if I come in at 3am an can't be dealing with my usual routine!) Its the only micellar water that I don't feel ill effects from on my skin.

Do you mind me asking what range has worked so well for you?

On the subject of hoarding, since Image is expensive, their pre christmas gift sets are brilliant. I bought 4 of them in the black Friday sales (there was an extra 15-20% off) so I now have quite the stock pile, but I know it will all get used. I did the same thing last year and it worked really well, maybe only needed to buy one thing at full price over the year.
    Some salons appear to still have stock which they're selling off if you look around. They're never going to have the heavily medicated stuff in their gift sets but for the spf, standard cleansers and some nice serums, they're great.

I only got 3 samples and its my first time using this brand, Im not sure what each range is called but I found the salycilic acid cleanser brilliant - I dont know what range its from, she poured some into a little tub for me, the only thing I dont like is how drying it is but I was recommended a vitamin c serum, wasnt given a sample but its meant to be very good so im hoping that will counter act the drying effect of the cleaner. I was also given an spf 32 from the yellow range which is really fantastic and very hydrating. I was given a third sample of a cleanser, forget what its called, its from the green range, its not great imo, stings, drys me out and doesnt reduce redness enough to justify the price so ill give that one a miss. I got a mitch match of different ranges which is helpful for narrowing it down as there is so much to choose from.
    Id be interested to know what ranges worked best for others, there are so many different products its hard to know what will be worth or not worth the cost.

I only got 3 samples and its my first time using this brand, Im not sure what each range is called but I found the salycilic acid cleanser brilliant - I dont know what range its from, she poured some into a little tub for me, the only thing I dont like is how drying it is but I was recommended a vitamin c serum, wasnt given a sample but its meant to be very good so im hoping that will counter act the drying effect of the cleaner. I was also given an spf 32 from the yellow range which is really fantastic and very hydrating. I was given a third sample of a cleanser, forget what its called, its from the green range, its not great imo, stings, drys me out and doesnt reduce redness enough to justify the price so ill give that one a miss. I got a mitch match of different ranges which is helpful for narrowing it down as there is so much to choose from.
    Id be interested to know what ranges worked best for others, there are so many different products its hard to know what will be worth or not worth the cost.

Sounds like you're using one of the medicated cleansers, either MD or Clear Cell, with the SPF 32 Matte for oily skin, and the Ormedic cleanser.

I'd use the clear cell/ageless/the max ranges under advice as they've a lot of active ingredients.

IMO Vital C (orange) and Ormedic work for most people and a lot of my friends use various bits from both ranges and we've all different skin types. The SPFs are down to preference, but I like to work with a bottle of 50 and 32, depending on my sun exposure and how oily my skin is at that moment in time ;)

I also like the Ilima serum, which I think is fairly gentle and just a nice product. I think its supposed to be good for pigmentation but I use it anyway even though thats not a big issue for me, I just think its nice and sure brightening is always good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Another product finished - I swear I'm not pouring things down the sink!!
    Catrice All Matt Plus foundation. There wasn't as much left in this as I had thought when I retrieved it from my stash, I think the product up along the sides of the glass gave the impression there was more in it. It was grand, a bit thick. Note sure if they stock it anymore but I won't be repurchasing. I was mixing it with my Cater Beauty half measure foundation to take some of the mattness off it. I actually think I'm finishing up the Carter Beauty foundation also - the glass is frosted so it's difficult to see how much product is in it but not much came out of the dropper this morning (despite me doing it the way Marissa had to show us how to use it.)

Another product finished - I swear I'm not pouring things down the sink!!

Well done!

I'm plugging away at my foundations. I currently have;

- double wear in 2 shades (dark one is way dark since I hardly ever wear tan anymore so thats going to be slow going)
    - Charlotte Tilbury Magic Foundation
    - MAC pro longware and Mac face and body
    - Catrice HD
    - Bare minerals (I cannot get to grips with this at all. I've never once got it right on my face, so this may have to go in the bin...)
    - The ordinary coverage foundation in 3 different colours. I'm blending them to try to get through them!

I'm chopping and changing so it will probably take me ages to get to the bottom of any of them :( But now that I've actually taken stock of what I have, i'll be reluctant to add to that pile. If you'd asked me before, I would have sworn blind that I only had 2/3 foundations, when in fact I have 10!

• Advertisement

If you'd asked me before, I would have sworn blind that I only had 2/3 foundations, when in fact I have 10!

I have around 17 bottles of foundation :/

Really need to make some time to see what I can mix together. I picked up one of those spatulas that Penneys had ages ago to get to the bottom of the bottles so will root that out too. You ladies are putting me to shame!

I should probably do a stocktake of the foundations I have.
    I think this is most of them:
    • Mac Studio fix (or double wear I'm not really sure) in NW20 - this is my "good" foundation for when I'm wearing tan
    • 4 wet n wild photo focus foundations. 1 is in a darker shade for when I'm wearing tan, I accidently have 2 in the same shade which is a little light for me and 1 in my actual correct shade.
    • 2 of The Ordinary foundations, one serum and one full coverage. Not mad about them.
    • Bourjois health mix foundation, I kinda like this.
    • MakeUpRevolution coverage foundation - looks like a larger version of the concealer, applicator and all. Used it today and it's actually not bad.
    • Some Penneys full coverage foundation - I remember the world and it's mother went mad for this foundation, it was supposedly a dupe for EL Double wear which I've never worn. I used it yesterday and wasn't mad about it, it dried down very quickly before I got to work with it properly.
    • I presume I've a bottle of catrice hd foundation, I cannot be without it.
    That's 11 foundations!

Edit - I've two bottle of the Catrice HD foundation, one normal shade and one darker for tan
    So 12 foundations *hangs head in shame*

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

I love this thread. I'd started to do this a while ago, it's very therapeutic getting to the end of a bottle.

What I am also doing is using make up I'd been keeping for going out or good make up that I didn't wear to work. Like primer and eye shadow palletts!! I also used to have a good foundation for going out and weddings etc but it was going off. So just use a bare minerals one now and I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ruthy_2504

For those of you trying to use up foundations that may not be the right shade, Catrice do both lightening and darkening drops that you can add to your foundation. I know the idea of this is not to buy anymore, but it would make getting rid of products easier! I use the lightening drops with about 3 different foundations that I must have been asleep when I bought - they are that bad in terms of colour match!

ruthy_2504 wrote: »
    For those of you trying to use up foundations that may not be the right shade, Catrice do both lightening and darkening drops that you can add to your foundation. I know the idea of this is not to buy anymore, but it would make getting rid of products easier! I use the lightening drops with about 3 different foundations that I must have been asleep when I bought - they are that bad in terms of colour match!

I bought the LA Girl white foundation deliberately to lighten my darker foundations - guess what though? Never used it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

Isn't it amazing the great 'points offers' Boots can send u when they haven't seen u in a while!! Not even going to look!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Finished off a Molton Brown shower gel and an Aussie ice shine pure hair conditioning spray. Feels good to finish them off I have to say! How opened a new molton brown shower gel now and going to stair through an Aussie leave in conditioner next :)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭fed_u

Similarly I also have a number of foundations to get through..
    Almost finished benefits hello flawless oxygen wow foundation - nothing special!!
    Revlon colorstay - surprisingly well wearing and not sure why I didn't finish it!!
    Your good skin hot cloth cleanser - prefer it to the no7 new formula but the no7 pump bottle makes it easier to act finish the product.
    Nutrogena hydro boost micellar water - don't rate and can't finish it so will use to clean my suede shoes now instead 😂

I was in the UK over the weekend and this thread saved me. There was a Kiko shop, and I went in....perusing brushes and these little sets with a few eye shadows and a blusher and I was sorely tempted - I love a good multipurpose set!

Anyway, I gave myself a slap on the wrist, and told myself to turn around and walk out without buying anything!

Now, I did spend a small fortune on clothes, but my makeup spend was zero. So I'm counting that as progress!

I was in the UK over the weekend and this thread saved me. There was a Kiko shop, and I went in....perusing brushes and these little sets with a few eye shadows and a blusher and I was sorely tempted - I love a good multipurpose set!

Anyway, I gave myself a slap on the wrist, and told myself to turn around and walk out without buying anything!

Now, I did spend a small fortune on clothes, but my makeup spend was zero. So I'm counting that as progress!

Well done! Kiko do some nice things - I'm currently using a brown mascara from them but I won't repurchase as the brush is a bit scratchy and the product sometimes transfers onto my browbone during the day. It's grand for work. But I swear by the cc magic blur cream - it's like Benefit's porefessional in that it blurs pores, mattifies the skin and is good for a daytime no make look.

I was in Kiko in Dec when I was over in the UK - there was nothing I needed but still spent about €40 and I don't think I've even used any of the stuff I bought yet. A bit of a wake up call for me and a kick in the ar$e I needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Used up the last of a few old cleansers and I'm down to the last 2 or 3 days of my Burts Bees facial wash and the last use of my Clinique balm, so I picked up a vitamin E micellar water and a vitamin E hot cloth cleanser in Superdrug (buy one get one half price!) - that's my shower cleansing, make up removal and evening cleansing sorted for a good few months hopefully, for less than a tenner.

Has anyone found a foundation in their stash that they had forgotten about and really love??

Also tempted to try a mineral powder foundation now - I am so weak!

kcdiom wrote: »
    Has anyone found a foundation in their stash that they had forgotten about and really love??

Yes - kinda. I found the MakeUp Revolution coverage foundation - it's packaged like a giant concealer. It gives a buildable but not cakey coverage and looks nice on. But it can be hard to judge how much product you need with a sponge applicator and my skin is a bit dehydrated the past day or two and it shows with this foundation. But it's me and not the foundation.

Yes - kinda. I found the MakeUp Revolution coverage foundation - it's packaged like a giant concealer. It gives a buildable but not cakey coverage and looks nice on. But it can be hard to judge how much product you need with a sponge applicator and my skin is a bit dehydrated the past day or two and it shows with this foundation. But it's me and not the foundation.

I wanted to love that foundation, but its the only make up I have ever had a reaction to - I felt like I needed to tear my skin off! And I dont react to any of their other products including the concealer. There are 2 bottles in my stash that I need to get rid of which you have now thankfully reminded me of!

No, to be honest, I keep going back to my old favorite, EL Double Wear - I wear 1N2 Ecru and its a very good colour match for me without tan which is hard to find. Also despite having good coverage, I don't feel caked while wearing it.

I've only ever bought one mineral foundation (Bare Minerals) and I just don't get it. I went into BT's, got colour matched, bought the brush etc expecting great things. But its just never worked for me. I periodically try it again from time to time but on my skin I feel I never get the coverage I want an struggle to get it to go on evenly. I find liquid much easier to work with. Its part of my stash that I'd struggle to use up!

Had to restrain myself again last night, was getting a bit tempted by the Clinique offer currently on. I just love mini products, I stockpile them for travel so i can travel light.

I've not used clinique in ages though (I'm nearly 100% Image these days) but the stuff just looked really nice! I was even dillydallying about buying a foundation (!!!) What am I like!?

I've only ever bought one mineral foundation (Bare Minerals) and I just don't get it. I went into BT's, got colour matched, bought the brush etc expecting great things. But its just never worked for me. I periodically try it again from time to time but on my skin I feel I never get the coverage I want an struggle to get it to go on evenly. I find liquid much easier to work with. Its part of my stash that I'd struggle to use up!

I hate the BM foundation with a passion, but with brands like Fuschia bringing out their own now I have been tempted...
    Had to restrain myself again last night, was getting a bit tempted by the Clinique offer currently on. I just love mini products, I stockpile them for travel so i can travel light.

I've not used clinique in ages though (I'm nearly 100% Image these days) but the stuff just looked really nice! I was even dillydallying about buying a foundation (!!!) What am I like!?

Ah I dont even know how I will avoid the 70% off boots sale!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

The note mineral foundation is gorgeous. Currently in my stash for a foundation when wearing fake tan. Finish is satin. Fab for €11

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

I

Ah I dont even know how I will avoid the 70% off boots sale!

i'm the same. i know i'll wander in 'just for a look', fingers crossed theres nothing left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭fed_u

I use Bare Minerals - to set my foundation as when I just use it on its own (weekends) you feel like you've nothing on!
    I used there complexion rescue gel foundation aswell but I find it doesn't last well. Tried a sample of their bare pro foundation and I it way too drying on my skin.
    The Revlon colour stay foundation from 'shop my stash' and I'm liking it as I'm looking for a day foundation that lasts and not dear...

Advertisement