Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World - Recipes, Syns & Cooking tips!

Options
  • 06-01-2019 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭

As the title says, a place for all your Slimming world recipes, syns & cooking tips!

I'll start with the new 2019 syn value for tinned soup - great for a grab lunch.
    49dd97c0041ac00e18d7998694166f08.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

Amazing thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

I posted in the other thread a while back about these burgers from Aldi, they lovely & are only 1.5 syns each.

Sometimes I chop one of the uncooked burgers into 6 pieces & roll them into mini meatballs.
    Two different meals from one pack!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I posted in the other thread a while back about these burgers from Aldi, they lovely & are only 1.5 syns each.

Sometimes I chop one of the uncooked burgers into 6 pieces & roll them into mini meatballs.
    Two different meals from one pack!

Any reason the burgers are 1.5 syns and mince is synless? Seems odd.

My fiancee doesn't syn them burgers. They are delish though!

Any reason the burgers are 1.5 syns and mince is synless? Seems odd.

My fiancee doesn't syn them burgers. They are delish though!

I'm not sure, my guess would be a breadcrumb or cereal in the mix. There must be something syn worthy in the ingredient list.

I'm not sure, my guess would be a breadcrumb or cereal in the mix. There must be something syn worthy in the ingredient list.

True - still a bit mad. She doesn't syn Muller Light yoghurts either since they syned them, granted she only has 2 in the morning (stories of people having like 6 a day :eek:)

On the recipe side of things - our favorite thing to cook and it's so easy - Chili Con Carne.

1) 5% mince (Aldi do a 4% one)
    2) Peppers (a lot of peppers for speed - can pick up frozen bags of them for under a euro and work a charm)
    3) Tesco Red Kidney Beans Chilli Sauce (finding this hardly to get since before Christmas but have emailed them so will post up when I get a reply. Not a fan of the Bachelors one and how the sauce tastes).
    4) Boiled Rice

Brown the mince and break it up using a spatula - add the peppers in at the same time to soften (I don't let these brown)
    Add Red Kidney Beans and simmer for 5-6 mins. I add some water to the tin to flesh out the sauce more. (as rule of thumb, I use 500g of mince to one tin of Kidney Beans)

Serve with a good handful of spinach and your boiled rice!

Can easily do a portion for around €1.20 depending on your portion sizes - my fiancees favourite SW meal and always batch freezes them (she made 3 batches yesterday).

• Advertisement

3) Tesco Red Kidney Beans Chilli Sauce (finding this hardly to get since before Christmas but have emailed them so will post up when I get a reply. Not a fan of the Bachelors one and how the sauce tastes).

Just got an email back from Tesco to say they've been discontinued. Going to have to test Epicure Chilli Beans In Chilli Sauce available in Supervalu!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Afaik, the syns for meat are related to fat content. Less than 5% would be syn free.

I don't do it but I remember reading something like that.

Free SW mag in Sat paper

More!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

Afaik, the syns for meat are related to fat content. Less than 5% would be syn free.

I don't do it but I remember reading something like that.

You're correct :)

The 5% fat burgers are synned though because there's a starchy binding agent used. Can't remember what it is off the top of my head but that's why it's synned.

• Advertisement

More

Even more!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Thanks all for setting up this thread. Just rejoined today :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

The knickerbocker glory is interesting. A bit of faffing but not too much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Great thread, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

So any handy recipes out there that ye all use

• Registered Users Posts: 42 supersiren

Hi all..I made bbq pork in the slow cooker today. Was delicious . I also had a chicken in the fridge so cut off the legs and threw them in with it. Super easy and very tasty. I had pork fillet so just swapped that for the shoulder.

So any handy recipes out there that ye all use

The good staples me and my fiancee do - Savory Mince with egg mash, Chicken Curry with boiled rice (use Mayflower curry sauce) & my Chili Con Carne with boiled rice a few posts up!

supersiren wrote: »
    Hi all..I made bbq pork in the slow cooker today. Was delicious . I also had a chicken in the fridge so cut off the legs and threw them in with it. Super easy and very tasty. I had pork fillet so just swapped that for the shoulder.

That looks yum, is it free? I might see how it turns out in the instant pot

• Registered Users Posts: 42 supersiren

That looks yum, is it free? I might see how it turns out in the instant pot

Hi ya as far as I know it's free..I don't have mustard powder so I just added a teaspoon of English mustard instead which I think had a syn?. I'm going to make it again over the weekend with a bigger piece of pork to have in the fridge as it's very tasty and can be used lots of different ways..salad/pizza/wraps/stir fry etc. Will last up to 5 days In the fridge

Actually even to have the bb sauce made and kept in a bottle in the fridge would be very handy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Made this on Monday, very tasty and reheats well. I used boneless and skinless chicken thighs.

http://pinchofnom.com/recipes/syn-free-one-pot-mediterranean-chicken-orzo-slimming-world/

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Chocolate Weetabix Waffles!

o0tRNz6.jpg

Per person:
    • 2 x Choc Weetabix (HeB)
    • 2 x eggs
    • 1 x Muller Light (1 syn)
    • Toppings (quark and defrosted fruits shown here)

Directions:
    - Pre-heat oven at 180c
    - Frylight the waffle mould
    - In a bowl, crush up weetabix, add eggs and muller light, hand-blend so it's a smooth consistency.
    - Pour batter over the 'creases' so it comes off easier.
    - 180c for half an hour, and voilá!

Take into consideration:
    - 1 syn total, but you could sub out the muller light, but the toffee one works real nice!
    - It is a bit cakey (which might be weird for breakfast!), get it a bit stiffer/crispy by using only 1 egg; and after the half hour in the oven, take out of the mould and bake for a further 7 mins.
    - the mould i got from amazon for around 4 euro.

Great idea for a thread! Hope ya enjoy!

Made these pancakes today - http://pinchofnom.com/recipes/syn-free-oat-pancakes/

Turned out very nice!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

i'll have to give that bread mix a whirl, that pizza looks amazing!
    Here's what I've been doing for Pizza since joining SW:

Lo Dough Pizza! (2 Syns)

wkLIVOR.jpg

Ingredients:
    Lo Dough (2 syns) as a pizza base (it's horrible to eat plain, same with as a wrap, but great oven-baked as a pizza base!)
    Passata (half a carton for 2 bases) for sauce
    Cheese from your HeA
    Toppings I used corn, defrosted sliced pepper & onions as they're super handy
    Frylight!

Directions:
    - Pre-heat oven (grill setting) to 220c
    - Spray lo dough pizza bases with fry-light
    - Spread Passatta all over the base, esp. the edges (otherwise they'll burn up pretty quick but still tastes great)
    - add cheese; I use half HeA per pizza
    - then toppings
    - then spray again with frylight
    - Oven-grill on the top shelf at 220c - it'll be ready in 7-10 mins but don't leave it!
    - scarf down in 30 seconds, feel remorse, then happiness as it was only 2 syns!

Things to consider:
    - Lo Dough can be bought from Dublin Meat Co or Online
    - I use Eatlean cheese (order it online) allows a whopping 70g grated for your HeA!
    - Syn-free toppings veg shown here, consider pan-frying first as they might just dry out rather than bake in 7-10 minutes if you get me.
    - A baking tray will help stiffen the lo-dough but it will probably still be a little floppy
    - Meat toppings, ofc ham and chicken is free (add spices to...well...spice it up) but chorizo (0.5 syn/slice) and pepperoni (1 syn/slice) is pretty amazing.

Enjoy!

I made this tonight and it was yum. I would marinade the chicken the next time. I served with broccoli and noodles

Adjusted by not adding sesame, halving all quantities and reducing and adding the semicooked noodles rather than using cornflour. Very low syns as a result. I got enough for two dinners from 350g of diced chicken

http://twochubbycubs.com/2018/02/08/instant-pot-sticky-sesame-chicken/

A great tip I've come around too lately - frozen peppers!

Lobbed half a bag into a SW Spag Bol today - they go lovely and no prep needed! Swear by them!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Penn

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Here's what I've been doing for Pizza since joining SW:

Just ordered some of those pizza bases so might try them next weekend. Look great! 39 calories seems insanely low though (Lo-Dough :D).

Weighday treat! 8.5 delicious syns...

Muller Pud 30g - 2.5syn,
    Half pot of milkybar mousse yoghurt - 2.5syn (both frozen)
    One squirt of light squirty cream - 1syn, chocshot - 0.5syn
    Celebrations malteeser chopped up - 2syn

50275108_10157162175748699_6121202074752385024_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=f9a7e3fa96923bc1ee1cd9f6f280f2f8&oe=5CC83519

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Penn wrote: »
    Just ordered some of those pizza bases so might try them next weekend. Look great! 39 calories seems insanely low though (Lo-Dough :D).

Had one of these last night. Thought it was great. Doesn't quite compare to a proper pizza base, but ultimately most of the flavour comes from the toppings, so it was fine. Will definitely have again.

Advertisement