Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish ISIS member captured by Kurdish forces in Syria

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Does anyone remember two "Irish" lads out in Syria who were captured a year ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Muslim leader backs revoking Irish citizenship of those involved in conflict

The chairperson of the Irish Muslim Peace and Integration Council has said naturalised Irish citizens who travel abroad to take part in conflict should have their citizenship revoked.

Dr Umar Al Qadri was speaking following reports from Syria that an Irish passport holder has been captured by Kurdish-led forces fighting so-called Islam state.

Dr Qadri said today that naturalised Irish citizens who leave to fight abroad should be not be accepted back in Ireland but deported to their countries of origin.

He described them as dangerous people who remain so even in jail because they may radicalise others.

He also criticised Taoiseach Leo Varadkar's comment that consular assistance would be available to any such person abroad.

Dr Qadri insisted that Ireland needs to send out a strong message to people who have chosen to leave the state and fight abroad that this country is against extremism.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/0107/1021719-syria-irish-citizen/

Irish Muslim leader is how Al qadri was described on rte news.
    Someone from the Netherlands with Pakistani heritage decides to move to Ireland and he's described as a Irish Muslim leader.

Al qadri pops up every so often saying that Ireland isn't doing enough to stop/ prevent radicalisation in Ireland.

He is self appointed.

imme wrote: »
    Was this man bird watching a la Colombia Three

Of course not he was on a pilgrimage to the holyland, when he stubbled across an ambush

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭JPCN1

I don't know why the Kurds take these guys alive. Only responsible thing to do imo is execution.

JPCN1 wrote: »
    I don't know why the Kurds take these guys alive. Only responsible thing to do imo is execution.

The desert tells no tales. Why are the Americans holding him? Its like saving someones trash from the Binmen and bringing it back, then expecting a thank you? Do these lads have apartments and getting social welfare, fuel allowance and rent allowance? And we have real Irish dying in the streets?

To paraphase young Halawa, "This is a Kurdish matter".

Just invoice me for the the 7.62x39 round, lads this one is on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭jmreire

welltodo wrote: »
    in all fairness to him at the end of the day he didn't jihad in ireland,
    in some weird way they seem to respect us

I don't think that there will be any Jihad in Ireland ( at least for awhile anyway) but it's nothing to do with respect either. Equally, I'm sure that there are terrorists living here in Ireland at this moment who are planning attacks, just it will not be here. Ireland is a " comfy" ( for want of a better word ) place for terrorists to lie low, plot and plan. The Guardai say that he was on their radar ( as well as I think ) 29 other's. You can be damn sure that there are many more living under the radar as well. So the last thing these people need is a spotlight shining on them, that a terrorist attack in Ireland would bring.... they will reserve their attacks for places and circumstances which will have the maximum effect. IE;- Countries who have their armies actively fighting in Muslim Countries. Ireland is too important for them to lose as a base.

Kivaro wrote: »
    Wrong.
    He wasn't going to the circus; he was going to the cinema.
    And it's Ibrahim Halawa. Not Abraham.
    Racist.

Ibrahim= Arabic version of Abraham. just sayin.........

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭skepticalme

jmreire wrote: »
    I don't think that there will be any Jihad in Ireland ( at least for awhile anyway) but it's nothing to do with respect either. Equally, I'm sure that there are terrorists living here in Ireland at this moment who are planning attacks, just it will not be here. Ireland is a " comfy" ( for want of a better word ) place for terrorists to lie low, plot and plan. The Guardai say that he was on their radar ( as well as I think ) 29 other's. You can be damn sure that there are many more living under the radar as well. So the last thing these people need is a spotlight shining on them, that a terrorist attack in Ireland would bring.... they will reserve their attacks for places and circumstances which will have the maximum effect. IE;- Countries who have their armies actively fighting in Muslim Countries. Ireland is too important for them to lose as a base.

Completely agree. Ireland is a base for fundraising etc. Apparantly more Irish citizens went to Syria than other EU countries like France, as well as some gulf states.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

20140830_MAC990_2.png

most-fewest-isis-fighters.png

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Robocop Corcoran

Thats it, good boy, you keep giving out about lefty this leftist that when in the real grown up world its actually right wing western governments actions that empower these fcuking lunatics.

They keep sending cash and weapons to to the head choppers biggest sponsors, the Saudis.

You just keep on repeating your uninformed drivel though.

Yeah, blame whitey.

• Advertisement

According to yesterdays Irish Times, 100 others like him in Dublin alone, are also on the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Thats it, good boy, you keep giving out about lefty this leftist that when in the real grown up world its actually right wing western governments actions that empower these fcuking lunatics.

They keep sending cash and weapons to to the head choppers biggest sponsors, the Saudis.

You just keep on repeating your uninformed drivel though.

Yeah, blame whitey.
    Where did I mention anyone's colour or are you just projecting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Yes Saudi Arabia is where jihadists as we know them originated from, not all that long ago. Yes their growth was fostered by the USA and Saudi Arabia, and they were used as proxy soldiers to fight communists in the middle east.

The balance of power between Saudi Arabia and the USA is not how you would like to think. They have huge financial influence, and huge control over access to the vital resource that is oil. The presence of Mecca and Medina in SA gives them massive influence over muslims.

Al Qaeda attacked the USA because they were outraged at the presence of US forces in the Holy Land of Saudi Arabia. The USA were present there to defend the country from potential invasion by Iraq under Saddam. Saudi Arabia have the best available military hardware but their armies don't know how to use it and are not particularly effective.

Research indicates that radicalisation occurs when something perceived as sacred is threatened. This is one reason why invading Saudi Arabia is not a sensible alternative to taking orders from them. Recent research also indicates that social exclusion leads to perceiving more things as sacred and worthy of fighting for.

So political decisions need to be considered in this context. Jihad is not an organic product of Islam, it is a fairy recent mutation that was fostered by SA and the USA. Social exclusion probably leads to more people being radicalised. Disrespect for what is considered sacred is the catalyst moving a malcontent to a become a terrorist.

So respect and inclusiveness are the way to go to prevent radicalisation. But I don't think protecting an active Isis fighter is the way to go. I don't see that as benefitting anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭malinheader

According to yesterdays Irish Times, 100 others like him in Dublin alone, are also on the radar.

Time now then for the people in power to act then. Straight back to where they came from and anyone who sympathises with them or holds there views. The clock is ticking before we end up like the UK,France,Belgium Sweden and many other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Yeah, blame whitey.

He’s right about Saudi though. And didn’t really say white, he said the West. I’d say the USA.

He’s right about Saudi though. And didn’t really say white, he said the West. I’d say the USA.

Its not all the fault of the USA, Islamic terrorism predates the USA. They slaughtered people in Paris over a cartoon you can't blame the USA on that, their backward beliefs caused them to be so offended they would kill people over a cartoon.

I don't like the way some people are making excuses here and victim blaming, not you personally.

Its not all the fault of the USA, Islamic terrorism predates the USA.

Not really. The US financed the jihadists in the war against the USSR decades ago. Until then Arab terrorism was nationalistic.
    They slaughtered people in Paris over a cartoon you can't blame the USA on that, their backward beliefs caused them to be so offended they would kill people over a cartoon.

I know. Not relevant though.
    I don't like the way some people are making excuses here and victim blaming, not you personally.

Good because blaming US policy isn’t victim blaming when the victims are in Syria anyway. The US supported regime change in Syria and funnelled money to “moderate” rebels, who didn’t exist - not after a year. That vacuum created a space for ISIS and here we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Looks like we are not the only country having trouble with immigrants.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/0108/1021868-new-south-wales/

From the stories i've heard from lads that have been in Aus, our brightest are causing a lot more trouble than is been reported, but sure our lot would never do anything wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Weak attempt at deflection, maybe ned Kelly would have been a better example.

From the stories i've heard from lads that have been in Aus, our brightest are causing a lot more trouble than is been reported, but sure our lot would never do anything wrong.

All kinds of strawman here. Nobody thinks Irish immigrants to Aus are the brightest (it’s not Silicon Valley), nobody thinks they do nothing wrong.

Australia has a controlled immigration system already, Australia will deport Irish people for minor crimes and after ( jail terms are up) for major ones.

• Advertisement

Weak attempt at deflection, maybe ned Kelly would have been a better example.

We have some real life Ned Kelly over there already.
    Give it another 10 years until they really settle in and then you'll be hearing a lot more about it.

All kinds of strawman here. Nobody thinks Irish immigrants to Aus are the brightest (it’s not Silicon Valley), nobody thinks they do nothing wrong.

Australia has a controlled immigration system already, Australia will deport Irish people for minor crimes and after ( jail terms are up) for major ones.

And does the Irish immigration Gardai not deport people who break the law over here or jail them.

The problem is you are only hearing about the odd story every now and again and its usually coming in the form of Facebook stories been spread by anti government supporters.

Yes Saudi Arabia is where jihadists as we know them originated from, not all that long ago. Yes their growth was fostered by the USA and Saudi Arabia, and they were used as proxy soldiers to fight communists in the middle east.

The balance of power between Saudi Arabia and the USA is not how you would like to think. They have huge financial influence, and huge control over access to the vital resource that is oil. The presence of Mecca and Medina in SA gives them massive influence over muslims.

Al Qaeda attacked the USA because they were outraged at the presence of US forces in the Holy Land of Saudi Arabia. The USA were present there to defend the country from potential invasion by Iraq under Saddam. Saudi Arabia have the best available military hardware but their armies don't know how to use it and are not particularly effective.

Research indicates that radicalisation occurs when something perceived as sacred is threatened. This is one reason why invading Saudi Arabia is not a sensible alternative to taking orders from them. Recent research also indicates that social exclusion leads to perceiving more things as sacred and worthy of fighting for.

So political decisions need to be considered in this context. Jihad is not an organic product of Islam, it is a fairy recent mutation that was fostered by SA and the USA. Social exclusion probably leads to more people being radicalised. Disrespect for what is considered sacred is the catalyst moving a malcontent to a become a terrorist.

So respect and inclusiveness are the way to go to prevent radicalisation. But I don't think protecting an active Isis fighter is the way to go. I don't see that as benefitting anything.

Jihad ( which means "Effort, and can be applied to any endeavor ) has been in existence 1400 years. Since the very beginning of Islam, in fact. In the West, we associate it with terrorism, but like I said, it can be applied to everything and anything. Want to stop smoking? Declare Jihad on cigarettes. But the biggest Jihad for any Muslin is the spread of Islam...and for 1400 years it has been doing this. It has ebbed and flowed over the years, and one of it's greatest helpers is called "DEMOCRACY". I will probably be ridiculed for saying this, but the aim of Islam is to rule the world, and they will never give this up. Will they succeed??? That is the question. Radicalization is not going to go away anytime soon, if ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Jihad ( which means "Effort, and can be applied to any endeavor ) has been in existence 1400 years. Since the very beginning of Islam, in fact. In the West, we associate it with terrorism, but like I said, it can be applied to everything and anything. Want to stop smoking? Declare Jihad on cigarettes. But the biggest Jihad for any Muslin is the spread of Islam...and for 1400 years it has been doing this. It has ebbed and flowed over the years, and one of it's greatest helpers is called "DEMOCRACY". I will probably be ridiculed for saying this, but the aim of Islam is to rule the world, and they will never give this up. Will they succeed??? That is the question. Radicalization is not going to go away anytime soon, if ever.
    Jihadists as we know them today in the sense of fanatical fighters hasn’t been about all that long.

All religions seek to propagate themselves. Most do so via missionaries, including Islam. There is nothing distinctive about it.

Radicalization isn’t going away, and isn’t specific to Islam. Hopefully the particular type of radicalization that we refer to as jihad will though. It’s like some medieval horror.

Any logic behind your assertion that democracy is one of the greatest helpers to the spread of Islam?

Democracy mitigates radicalization because of its inclusivity. It is the best form of government we’ve figured out yet.

Jihadists as we know them today in the sense of fanatical fighters hasn’t been about all that long.

All religions seek to propagate themselves. Most do so via missionaries, including Islam. There is nothing distinctive about it.

Radicalization isn’t going away, and isn’t specific to Islam. Hopefully the particular type of radicalization that we refer to as jihad will though. It’s like some meieaval horror.

Any logic behind your assertion that democracy is one of the greatest helpers to the spread of Islam?

Democracy mitigates radicalization because of its inclusivity. It is the best form of government we’ve figured out yet.

Yes, Democracy is the best way we have figured out so far..but it's very fairness is it's greatest weakness. Democracy works very well with People who share the principles of Democracy... means that everyone is treated equally, regardless of Sex,Race, Colour, Religion Rich or Poor. So in a functioning democracy, Everyone is entitled to live as they wish, ( subject to the laws of the land ), even if some of these people wish to undermine and supplant the very democracy that allows them to do this. Islam is the very opposite to democracy, and completely incompatible with it. Democracy will be the death of Democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Reading this today. Makes me sick that legally the likes of him are considered as Irish as myself. They need to up the requirement of being an Irish citizen to 20 years. Too ****ing easy. And make it easier to revoke citizenship too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

It was all a big misunderstanding - he was an ambulance worker for ISIS, not a fighter

Panic over

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2019/0205/1027752-irish-syria/

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭gw80

It was all a big misunderstanding - he was an ambulance worker for ISIS, not a fighter

Panic over

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2019/0205/1027752-irish-syria/

:rolleyes:

He lost his job in Ireland, and when war was raging in Syria, he went over there shortly followed by his wife and 10 month old son,
    Yea, cause that's what you do when a war breaks out somewhere, bring your wife and infant into a war zone!

Yea right buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭enricoh

Thank god for that, now send a delegation over to get him, eh, home.
    Give him a free gaff in dublin, social welfare and get 6 or 8 cops monitoring him.

It'll probably cost paddy taxpayer half a mill a year to do the above. Im sure he'll repay us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,283 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

He’s on RTÉ news now telling his sob story

No doubt he’ll on with joe Duffy and tubridy soon

Just put a bullet in his skull now and end this circus

Advertisement