Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whatsapp vs Signal - Why aren't more on signal?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Del2005 wrote: »
    WhatsApp is a Facebook app.

I know that, I'd move to signal tomorrow if everyone else would. But it hasn't had data breaches and sold information taken from it. I'm sure it will, and I'm also sure if Signal or whatever got popular facebook would buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Anybody got a workaround for the apparent inability to install signal desktop on a windows 10 32 bit OS?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

seligehgit wrote: »
    Anybody got a workaround for the apparent inability to install signal desktop on a windows 10 32 bit OS?
    Signal is compiled into a 64bit package. It just won't work on a 32bit Windows.

Can you backup your data and install 64bit Windows over your 32bit? You will lose all data as a fresh install would be required.

Alternatively, use a virtual machine with 64 bit windows in it. Not really usable as a daily driver, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

RangeR wrote: »

Can you backup your data and install 64bit Windows over your 32bit? You will lose all data as a fresh install would be required.

Alternatively, use a virtual machine with 64 bit windows in it. Not really usable as a daily driver, though.

Thanks very much but I'd prefer not go through the hassle of a backup and installation of windows 64 bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

The strangest thing in this thread is trying to figure out why someone would be running a 32bit os in 2021?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

The strangest thing in this thread is trying to figure out why someone would be running a 32bit os in 2021?

And why none of my contacts want to free themselves from WhatsApp...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,438 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Fieldog wrote: »
    And why none of my contacts want to free themselves from WhatsApp...

My older teen tells me none of the buddies are using WhatsApp now. They're not using Signal either - all Snapchat or Instagram.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I managed to encourage a couple groups to move to Signal. Many people signed up for it after the T&C debacle a couple months ago, so now it is down to me to message people there rather than whatsapp.

Unfortunately, the main holdout in my life is the misses who doesn't think signal is pretty enough to use.

Also my parents, because it took long enough to get them to use whatsapp instead of sms and landlines to call. Especially with them in another country, it's not like I can grab their devices and force the switch for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

RangeR wrote: »

seligehgit wrote: »
    Thanks very much but I'd prefer not go through the hassle of a backup and installation of windows 64 bit.

afaik if you reinstall windows, your old windows will get backed up to a windows.old folder.

Also you need 64 bit OS, 32 bit is way out of date...

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

I am moving my chats to Signal or Telegram. I find Telegram handles groups better. I do still have some WhatsApp groups, but I'm not joining any more, and actively reducing the amount of them, along with disabling all notifications.
    On Android, I use Signal instead of the normal SMS application, which it handles really well.

If you're happy with WhatsApp, stay with it. If not, move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭KildareP

afaik if you reinstall windows, your old windows will get backed up to a windows.old folder.

Also you need 64 bit OS, 32 bit is way out of date...
    Careful! This is only if you upgrade to a new version of Windows 10, or reset Windows using the built-in recovery tool.

Going 32-bit to 64-bit (or vice versa) requires a full format of the disk which wipes everything and Windows 10 to be installed from scratch from a USB or DVD.

KildareP wrote: »
    Careful! This is only if you upgrade to a new version of Windows 10, or reset Windows using the built-in recovery tool.

Going 32-bit to 64-bit (or vice versa) requires a full format of the disk which wipes everything and Windows 10 to be installed from scratch from a USB or DVD.

Indeed. And besides, the windows.old folder is just that. It's a backup of the old C:\Windows. There are no user files or programs in there. It's useless to most people, excepting maybe a version downgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

My older teen tells me none of the buddies are using WhatsApp now. They're not using Signal either - all Snapchat or Instagram.

WhatsApp and Signal at least have the advantage of encryption, which Snapchat and Instagram do not.

Invidious wrote: »
    WhatsApp and Signal at least have the advantage of encryption, which Snapchat and Instagram do not.
    And unfortunately, the majority don't care about encryption. They only care about how to contact their friends.... and get likes for their content.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

A friend of mine decided to stop using WhatsApp.

He sent everyone a last WhatsApp with a link to signal and explained why he was leaving WhatsApp and that he would now be on signal.

Everyone just decided, one bloody messaging service is enough and didn't bother with signal.

After about two weeks he tried to get us all to leave signal again.

Then after another week he was feeling left out as no one went to signal and hes back on WhatsApp.

Yep. non-techhie family members. the same reason we are still on facebook instead of diaspora.

Advertisement