Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whatsapp vs Signal - Why aren't more on signal?

Options
  • 06-01-2019 3:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭

I don't get why more don't join signal.
    I get that there is viber, wechat, kakaotalk etc. as alternatives to whatsapp, and wire as an alternative to Signal. (Matrix also)

But Signal is made by the same guy (team) that developed whatsapp and have added some features (they are also missing some).
    With signal there is no way to 'emphasise' text (*Bold* _Italic_ ~Strikethrough~) etc.
    But they have better privacy.

Other than that they are almost identical. (Signal doesn't allow privately shared images/videos into the maistream of your device). Signal allows disappearing messages timed to your choice also.
    There is also a lot more advantages that I am sure are explained online already..
    This may be one
    - http://blog.awok.com/signal-vs-whatsapp/

Is it a case of the people that grew up with it still using signal, and the older folk that are used to it not wanting to change?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I've never heard of Signal until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

lertsnim wrote: »
    I've never heard of Signal until now.

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Never heard of Signal and WhatsApp has a absolutely gigantic lead on them. Good luck getting all your friends to convert to another messaging platform when WhatsApp does a good enough job already.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

There's already too many ways to communicate. WhatsApp at this stage is pretty universal - very rare I'd look to message someone and find they're not on it.

Never heard of Signal but I do know the last thing I need is another messaging app.

What's really needed is something that brings everything together into one clean single page interface to end having to remember who's on WhatsApp, Viber, Messenger , SMS only etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Never heard of Signal.

I do use telegram with some people though. I am slightly concerned that since WhatsApp is owned by Facebook there is a risk to leaking data but it's sorta unfounded on proof and only going on whats happened so far with Facebook in the news.

• Advertisement

I could never understand WhatsApp over Viber. WhatsApp always depends on an active internet connection on your phone, whereas you can still send Viber messages from your laptop or whatever even if your phone is dead. On top of that, there's features like Viber Out and editing messages.

At this point, it will be very difficult for WhatsApp to be knocked off its perch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Like everyone else who’s posted above - never heard of it and don’t seem to need it.

I wonder when/if WhatsApp will die out though like bebo/myspace? Everything has its time but it seems to be incredibly popular!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,644 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

What's really needed is something that brings everything together into one clean single page interface to end having to remember who's on WhatsApp, Viber, Messenger , SMS only etc..

I sort of have that via my smart watch where I get all messages in the one app and respond to all using the one app regardless of what app was used to send/receive on the phone.

Of course it requires all the apps are installed on the phone, but it's a glimpse into the future as I don't generally notice any longer how a message came to me as I just use my watch mainly to respond via voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

flexcon wrote: »
    Never heard of Signal.

I do use telegram with some people though. I am slightly concerned that since WhatsApp is owned by Facebook there is a risk to leaking data but it's sorta unfounded on proof and only going on whats happened so far with Facebook in the news.

If you're thinking it, they are doing it. The problem is getting the evidence.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'm considering going back to smoke signals, or perhaps semaphore and carrier pigeons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭LotharIngum

A friend of mine decided to stop using WhatsApp.

He sent everyone a last WhatsApp with a link to signal and explained why he was leaving WhatsApp and that he would now be on signal.

Everyone just decided, one bloody messaging service is enough and didn't bother with signal.

After about two weeks he tried to get us all to leave signal again.

Then after another week he was feeling left out as no one went to signal and hes back on WhatsApp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I wish I could convince more people use telegram, it's really good, the best of them IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Sirius Boner

Basil3 wrote: »
    I could never understand WhatsApp over Viber. WhatsApp always depends on an active internet connection on your phone, whereas you can still send Viber messages from your laptop or whatever even if your phone is dead. On top of that, there's features like Viber Out and editing messages.

At this point, it will be very difficult for WhatsApp to be knocked off its perch.

Viber is today's bebo unfortunately, it's more about stickers and aimed at the tween market these days

I wish I could convince more people use telegram, it's really good, the best of them IMO

But its bad enough that you need to have both viber and WhatsApp installed without more messaging apps.
    If the majority are happy with WhatsApp then you are fighting a strong current trying to everyone else to add a new client because you like it more than WhatsApp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

Signal is a great system. Matrix however allows bridging between systems so it will eventually (probably) be an all-in-one messenger.

I use telegram as it has a desktop client for texting. So long as you are using a company's server you're messages are never private. How do you know that these companies don't hold The keys to decrypt your communication.

The best option is to set up a private xmpp server and get all your mates on Conversation. However, they would need to be able to trust you with their messages. You would need to write up a policy on GDPR and they would need to sign it and ...............!!!!!

But its bad enough that you need to have both viber and WhatsApp installed without more messaging apps.
    If the majority are happy with WhatsApp then you are fighting a strong current trying to everyone else to add a new client because you like it more than WhatsApp.

I'd drop WhatsApp in the morning as I don't trust their security at all. It wouldn't cost me a thought. Nor would I care if people couldn't contact me. I've not got Viber. I have a few on Telegram, I'd be happy to keep that one

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I have been on telegram since last March.

A few colleagues and myself are on it for specific communication and for support, I find it good myself.

I'd drop WhatsApp in the morning as I don't trust their security at all. It wouldn't cost me a thought. Nor would I care if people couldn't contact me. I've not got Viber. I have a few on Telegram, I'd be happy to keep that one

That's what my friend said.
    But it turned out he was the only one who ended up having a problem in the end.
    When there were were a few meetups and he asked why we didn't contact him and people just said they sent messages to the WhatsApp group and if he wasn't on it that was his problem he resisted for a little while, but eventually he didn't want to be left out.

I was quite happy to contact him passing on messages at first but I just got sick of being a relay and I stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

People are on WhatsApp so that's the one to use. No point in being on one that you can't message people on. I did delete Viber about a year ago when it got too spammy with stickers and all. Just told anyone who messaged me on it to get WhatsApp or SMS me.

Hangouts was the best of the lot for me as it was the only one to properly sync across everything without messing about with QR codes and it had a tablet app but now that it's not pre installed on Android phones nobody has it any more. They're killing it this year anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Never heard of Signal.

I wish people would realise IM can be delayed through poor data connection. So don't use it for time crital communication.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    Never heard of Signal.

I wish people would realise IM can be delayed through poor data connection. So don't use it for time crital communication.

Always have read receipts turned off anyway.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Always have read receipts turned off anyway.

First thing I do when installing anything.
    God I had the way people expect you to get back to them immediately when they senmd you a message

God I had the way people expect you to get back to them immediately when they senmd you a message

And 'Last Seen' off on WhatsApp too.

If I'm not getting the message till I walk back into coverage I don't think that makes much difference. even when I have coverage I don't reply immediately unless it's needed.

beauf wrote: »
    If I'm not getting the message till I walk back into coverage I don't think that makes much difference. even when I have coverage I don't reply immediately unless it's needed.

Yes but others can see that you've received and read the message but not bothered replying, how rude! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I knew signal was not as popular, but I hadn't realised it was because it was so unknown/unheard of. The OP was mainly me thinking aloud, but I thought Signal was better known than it is.

I use Telegram, but mainly only for groups like Music, bargains, forum chat and support groups, some blogs too but to a much lesser extent.
    It's just not something I ever consider for direct messaging with people. Not sure why.
    Barely open discord anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Like everyone else who’s posted above - never heard of it and don’t seem to need it.

I wonder when/if WhatsApp will die out though like bebo/myspace? Everything has its time but it seems to be incredibly popular!

I’d say it’s more likely that Facebook messager will be integrated into WhatsApp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Far too many messaging apps about these days.
    I stretch as far as Facebook messenger.

Yes but others can see that you've received and read the message but not bothered replying, how rude! :-)

1st world problems in fairness...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭dubrov

Suckit wrote:
    I knew signal was not as popular, but I hadn't realised it was because it was so unknown/unheard of. The OP was mainly me thinking aloud, but I thought Signal was better known than it is.

It's not because it's unknown. It's because it was late to the party. Signal is only unknown because no one is using it.

Whatsapp has pretty much hoovered up the whole market already. Peuple are very slow to change.

Advertisement