Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remage setup

Options
  • 05-01-2019 3:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here read up on the remage concept or even give. It a go here. It's basically a prechambered (fully chambered) barrel which is fitted using a variable shoulder in the form of a barrel nut.

The savage 112 (FTR 12? not sure of name) comes straight form savage with this style of barrel fitted.
    You can chance barrels but you need a barrel vice and an action wrench and go & no-go gauges to set her up.

The remage is 'take' on Savage's idea but it comes with Remington sized threads.

I have read a few reports of barrel nuts moving

Any one any thoughts about it.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Just another word for switch barrel system is it not?

I removed my barrel nut from my Savage. Too much hassle when fitting a barrel. I went for either a gunsmith timed barrel or if i wanted to run switch system i could change myself i got the barrel shouldered.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Zxthinger wrote: »
    Has anyone here read up on the remage concept or even give. It a go here. It's basically a prechambered (fully chambered) barrel which is fitted using a variable shoulder in the form of a barrel nut.

The savage 112 (FTR 12? not sure of name) comes straight form savage with this style of barrel fitted.
    You can chance barrels but you need a barrel vice and an action wrench and go & no-go gauges to set her up.

The remage is 'take' on Savage's idea but it comes with Remington sized threads.

I have read a few reports of barrel nuts moving

Any one any thoughts about it.

A little locktite will sort that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Cass wrote: »
    Just another word for switch barrel system is it not?

I removed my barrel nut from my Savage. Too much hassle when fitting a barrel. I went for either a gunsmith timed barrel or if i wanted to run switch system i could change myself i got the barrel shouldered.

Can you elaborate more on that please ?

How then does the barrel retain itself in the action and how do you maintain correct headspace ?

GH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Hi CASS

Did you ever hear of any harmonic issues with savages using a barrel nut?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Can you elaborate more on that please ?

How then does the barrel retain itself in the action and how do you maintain correct headspace ?

GH
    Zxthinger wrote: »
    Hi CASS

Did you ever hear of any harmonic issues with savages using a barrel nut?
    Answer the two of these together.

I removed the barrel nut after the first rebarreling. I tried using the nut again for the first barrel but the nut simply complicated the "easy" part of an easy switch/install. After torquing the barrel and then the nut the nut would cause some movement of the barrel and effect the alignment of the barrel (actually the bore) or the go/no go gauge.

Every barrel since was either threaded directly for the action with no nut, or a couple had shoulders which meant i could change barrels myself and the gunsmith timed them to perfection so when they were torqued the shoulder would "meet" the face of the action and be perfectly fitted.

As for problems with harmonics, no, none. Not from the original barrel or the second one.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
Advertisement