Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who s behind the Gardai road checks?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I've often seen checkpoints outside of Labre park on the Kylemore road. One of the worst sources of crime in Dublin. And if Gardaí are not doing anything about travellers how do so many of them have so many previous convictions and why do they take up so much of the prison population?

Three checkpoints so far today in Galway City. Either they have a lot more Guards or they were doing nothing for years.

The point made by some politicians is about the huge emphasis on vehicle crime.
    When you ask for Garda help you are told that they don't have a car available.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

My only problem with this is that at a time when the Gardaí are seriously stretched (or so they say), I don't think this is really worth the resources they are throwing at it. How many fatal road accidents occur in the morning due to drink driving (is there a stat available for this?)?

To me its the Garda taking the easy option regarding work, and as usual are avoiding the hard job of facing the scum in this country who are multiplying year on year.

Its come to the point now in Dublin where its not even worth reporting an assault, they will do nothing about it. The same for robberies, they will do nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,496 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

CucaFace wrote: »
    My only problem with this is that at a time when the Gardaí are seriously stretched (or so they say), I don't think this is really worth the resources they are throwing at it. How many fatal road accidents occur in the morning due to drink driving (is there a stat available for this?)?

To me its the Garda taking the easy option regarding work, and as usual are avoiding the hard job of facing the scum in this country who are multiplying year on year.

Its come to the point now in Dublin where its not even worth reporting an assault, they will do nothing about it. The same for robberies, they will do nothing.

11% of fatal accidents occur between 7am and 11am according to Newstalk this morning.
    Well worth having them so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I've often seen checkpoints outside of Labre park on the Kylemore road. One of the worst sources of crime in Dublin. And if Gardaí are not doing anything about travellers how do so many of them have so many previous convictions and why do they take up so much of the prison population?
    While checkpoints may be set up for drink driving it also gives an opportunity to stop cars driven by other law breakers such as travelling criminals etc. It's terrible that the Guards are enforcing the law of the land. Is this what we pay them for?
    Typical whingers. Enforce the law but not against me

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

11% of fatal accidents occur between 7am and 11am according to Newstalk this morning.

Yep. And it's not just fatal accidents we need to be preventing; even if you don't end up dying, it's no fun being in an accident that leads to amputation or some other debilitating injury. These don't get reported nearly enough, all the focus does be on the headline fatality numbers.

• Advertisement

But how many of these were a consequence of drink driving?

Also, 11% of accidents in a 4 hour period isn't that high IMO as the time period is actually 16% of the day.

Again, im not having a go per say at the fact people are being tested, its the fact so much of Garda resources seem to be used now for this, when at the same time they complain they don't have enough time/man power to deal with al the other (and far more important) issues in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Discodog wrote: »
    Three checkpoints so far today in Galway City. Either they have a lot more Guards or they were doing nothing for years.

The point made by some politicians is about the huge emphasis on vehicle crime.
    When you ask for Garda help you are told that they don't have a car available.

You didn't address anything in my post. Drink driving checkpoints are generally done by traffic corps, not regular Gardaí. They can afford to push visibility temporarily by pulling them off administrative duties and spending overtime but it's like overclocking the cpu in your system. It will eventually overheat and cause you much more issues down the line.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

every jail in the country bursting at the seams

you think those people just show up there ?

if we have a problem its a total problem .

poor judges and jails

solicitors being allowed to scam and delay to make more and more money

we have the least per head police in Europe mostly unarmed and lacking the support of the state

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 195 ✭✭GAA Beo

Fair play to those ministers, including the Minister of Justice coming out against this. They are clearly getting it in the neck from constituents. It is just state harassment against citizens going about their daily business. Persecuting people going to mass and mothers going to school with their children is not on.

It's alright for the Dubs with their Luas, train service, buses everywhere, taxis etc. Most of the country has no transport of any description. The posh boys like Shane Ross get driven around everywhere as well, so it doesn't bother him. I think a certain element of Dubs get a thrill out of persecuting people outside Dublin. Makes them feel superior. Then they act holier than thou. You can picture them, the cyclists and the like moaning about "climate change" and how cows and cars are ruining the environment. Cretins. And as for Fine Gael letting that RUC thug become in charge of the Gardai, don't get me started. They are obviously cottoning on to the anger out there against the government and Gardai.

mynamejeff wrote: »
    every jail in the country bursting at the seams

you think those people just show up there ?

if we have a problem its a total problem .

poor judges and jails

solicitors being allowed to scam and delay to make more and more money

we have the least per head police in Europe mostly unarmed and lacking the support of the state

In my line of work I deal with non national students. I personally have brought 4 to the local Garda station to report assaults (they were punched or headbutted walking home alone for no reason in the evening time, and they are females) and one very serious threat made to a girl.

Other then taking the report, none of the these were ever contacted again in relation to what was reported, bar the usual letter stating the incident was reported.

The Garda in this state are as much a part of the problem as are the issues you rightly bought up there IMO.

I honestly don't think they bother actually investigating much anymore bar a murder or rape. Anything less serious then this isn't worth their attention.

Yet we should be happy that they are willing to use so much of their man power on this issue? Sorry, but I have to say its either avoiding doing the hard work or its another poor example of poor management in the Garda.

• Advertisement

But how many of these were a consequence of drink driving?

Also, 11% of accidents in a 4 hour period isn't that high IMO as the time period is actually 16% of the day.

Again, im not having a go per say at the fact people are being tested, its the fact so much of Garda resources seem to be used now for this, when at the same time they complain they don't have enough time/man power to deal with al the other (and far more important) issues in this country.
    Bagging aul lads and old ladies in the morning is just shooting fish in a barrel. Stupid stuff. Old people and rural areas are generally the most supportive of Gardai, stirring it up and turning them against the Guards is not a good idea. Surprising the amount of visceral hatred I've heard and seen recently against Gardai and Shane Ross. I would like to add many of my friends and family are Gardai, so I can see both sides. The Guards themselves hate Shane Ross.

I would not like to see this country turn into America were large amounts of the public and media "hate the police". But keep going down this road and it may well happen. Also you nearly have weekly reports in the media negative about Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

GAA Beo wrote: »
    Bagging aul lads and old ladies in the morning is just shooting fish in a barrel. Stupid stuff. Old people and rural areas are generally the most supportive of Gardai, stirring it up and turning them against the Guards is not a good idea. Surprising the amount of visceral hatred I've heard and seen recently against Gardai and Shane Ross. I would like to add many of my friends and family are Gardai, so I can see both sides. The Guards themselves hate Shane Ross.

I would not like to see this country turn into America were large amounts of the public and media "hate the police". But keep going down this road and it may well happen. Also you nearly have weekly reports in the media negative about Gardai.

You mean go down the road of actually enforcing the law and not continue to turn a blind eye?

You mean go down the road of actually enforcing the law and not continue to turn a blind eye?
    I would rather more serious crimes like white collar crime, fraud, assault, burglary, trafficking, extortion, young offenders etc were focused on.
    Today we have reports that over 3,500 juveniles were not prosecuted for their crimes. A much more serious issue. Lets start applying the law to violent thugs under 18 before it is too late, they have a free pass at the moment.

https://www.rte.ie/news/crime/2019/0117/1023811-juveline-crime-report/

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭roverjoyce

How many of these accidents were caused by alleged drink driving

Was there ever any studies done for accidents caused by being just over the limit or driving the morning after

Most publicized drink driving cases are where the driver was off his head and not only on drink

Why tar rural ireland with that

As one man said before if you're not able to drive a car well after a few pints you shouldn't be given a license

I would rather more serious crimes like white collar crime, fraud, assault, burglary, trafficking, extortion, young offenders etc were focused on.
    Today we have reports that over 3,500 juveniles were not prosecuted for their crimes. A much more serious issue. Lets start applying the law to violent thugs under 18 before it is too late, they have a free pass at the moment.

https://www.rte.ie/news/crime/2019/0117/1023811-juveline-crime-report/

Bit hard to figure what your issue is with it. Do you disagree with the law? The enforcement of the law? The enforcement of the law outside Dublin?

It's not just drink driving either. Drug driving is getting a lot of people now. I don't know the ins and outs, but I believe people who have cocaine or cannabis can get still be caught the next day as it stays in the system. How long does it stay in the system? People don't know the limits the next day.

If I have 8-10 pints tonight and go home at 11pm when am I okay to drive?? Again people haven't a clue. It needs to be made very clear so everyone knows.

It's not just drink driving either. Drug driving is getting a lot of people now. I don't know the ins and outs, but I believe people who have cocaine or cannabis can get still be caught the next day as it stays in the system. How long does it stay in the system? People don't know the limits the next day.

If I have 8-10 pints tonight and go home at 11pm when am I okay to drive?? Again people haven't a clue. It needs to be made very clear so everyone knows.

Tomorrow night.

Bit hard to figure what your issue is with it. Do you disagree with the law? The enforcement of the law? The enforcement of the law outside Dublin?
    I disagree with the Law and blame Shane Ross/Government and those who voted for it. I disagree with the enforcement of it the past few months, it is in my view bordering on state and police harassment of citizens. I disagree with the condescending tone of some people in Dublin who get a thrill out of stuff like this, because they don't drive due to transport like train, Luas, bus, cycling, a half decent taxi service (although the latter is poor in Dublin too). Shane Ross has never driven a car.

I personally think if you aren't a motorist you should not have much input on this. I said this to family members who do not drive. I have nothing against individual Gardai just doing their job. I have nothing against most people from Dublin. I do though strongly detest the current Government and Shane Ross.

I disagree with the Law and blame Shane Ross/Government and those who voted for it. I disagree with the enforcement of it the past few months, it is in my view bordering on state and police harassment of citizens. I disagree with the condescending tone of some people in Dublin who get a thrill out of stuff like this, because they don't drive due to transport like train, Luas, bus, cycling, a half decent taxi service (although the latter is poor in Dublin too). Shane Ross has never driven a car.

I personally think if you aren't a motorist you should not have much input on this. I said this to family members who do not drive. I have nothing against individual Gardai just doing their job. I have nothing against most people from Dublin. I do though strongly detest the current Government and Shane Ross.

Yeah because the roads are just for cars right!!!!

Yeah because the roads are just for cars right!!!!

And a drink driver has never killed a pedestrian or cyclist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

you disagree with the law on drink driving and its enforcement? Is that you Danny?
    Well i am a motorist so according to you i should have an input on this and i'm delighted that they are enforcing our drink driving laws at last. The less drunk eejits on the road the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Get into a group who notify of speed vans, garda checkpoints, customs and excise. Best thing ever you'll know not to go that route. Only downside is if you come across any of these 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

what do you make of these "checkpoint watch" pages on facebook/twitter that lets you know where Gardai have set up checkpoints? is there any way they can be shut down, and if so, should they?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I would hope so. It must be contravening at least one law and the people who contribute to them should be named and shamed.

You didn't address anything in my post. Drink driving checkpoints are generally done by traffic corps, not regular GardaThey can afford to push visibility temporarily by pulling them off administrative duties and spending overtime but it's like overclocking the cpu in your system. It will eventually overheat and cause you much more issues down the line.

Gardai are Gardai. How you choose to deploy them is the issue. Setting aside a section of Gardai purely to attend to traffic means their are less to deal with other crimes.

The huge surge in daytime checkpoints begs the question as to what the Guards were doing previously. It's hard not to think that, in Galway, the new headquarters plus a new commissioner has made the Guards want to show a presence.

I have no problem with policing drink driving but I very much doubt that all the daytime checkpoints catch many.

El_Bee wrote: »
    what do you make of these "checkpoint watch" pages on facebook/twitter that lets you know where Gardai have set up checkpoints? is there any way they can be shut down, and if so, should they?

Really ? You mean like Korea or China ? It was rumoured that the previous commissioner demanded that they be shut down. When he was told that they can't be he changed tack & said that they were a good thing as they increased public awareness.

And we would miss gems like this that's just been posted

Cojack with a Kodak m6 galway bound between loughrea and Athenry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

El_Bee wrote: »

They are brilliant. I try to contribute to my local page whenever I spot a flash for cash van or a Garda tax/insurance checkpoint. Just pull over into a safe spot, take out the phone and post in the relevant page. Takes less than a minute.

IMO anyone who actually believes the dramatic increase in checkpoints is purely for road safety is deluded. If our safety was their utmost concern, surely the Gardai can react way quicker to incidents of burglaries, anti social behaviour, drug dealing in the community etc. But they won't, because that is a trickier part to their role, it's way easier to drive down the road, set up a checkpoint and try to nab someone on their way to work who may have done everything right the night before by getting a cab home from the pub at a reasonable hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭tomoliver

They are brilliant. I try to contribute to my local page whenever I spot a flash for cash van or a Garda tax/insurance checkpoint. Just pull over into a safe spot, take out the phone and post in the relevant page. Takes less than a minute.

IMO anyone who actually believes the dramatic increase in checkpoints is purely for road safety is deluded. If our safety was their utmost concern, surely the Gardai can react way quicker to incidents of burglaries, anti social behaviour, drug dealing in the community etc. But they won't, because that is a trickier part to their role, it's way easier to drive down the road, set up a checkpoint and try to nab someone on their way to work who may have done everything right the night before by getting a cab home from the pub at a reasonable hour.

That's how they catch people ,burglars,drugggies etc

With flash checkpoints

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Well they can't be doing a good job so because crime is rife.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I would hope so. It must be contravening at least one law and the people who contribute to them should be named and shamed.

Under what law? Dont talk ****e and many people post on these pages using their own profiles

Advertisement