Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunno what path to take in life

Options
  • 04-01-2019 9:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23

I'm looking for some advice. This isn't a massive problem compared to others but I just wanna talk it out and get some views.

I'm working in Dublin. Paying a LOT for rent. Don't really like Dublin and have nothing keeping me here except my job. My heart aches to live abroad again. I lived abroad for two years in my 20s. I'm in my 30s now and single.
    I know if I move abroad again I'll be staying there. I feel guilty leaving family. I also really like my job here and know I won't get the same job that I'm as happy in abroad. I also know I should realistically be trying to buy a home too. I really can't get my head straight and figure out what I want or where I should be it might sound silly but everyone appears to have their **** together and know what they want and I'm just so down because I feel like I'm never happy. Any words of wisdom or advice to help me choose a path?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ruahead

I would say, if you don't like Dublin why not move within Ireland ? If not, just go abroad but try to secure good job first. At the end of the day , do jobs matter over life experiences.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 HaloTop

ruahead wrote: »
    I would say, if you don't like Dublin why not move within Ireland ? If not, just go abroad but try to secure good job first. At the end of the day , do jobs matter over life experiences.

Because I like my job that's what makes it so hard. I love city living so moving within the country I don't think would give me the satisfaction I'm craving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

HaloTop wrote: »
    Because I like my job that's what makes it so hard. I love city living so moving within the country I don't think would give me the satisfaction I'm craving.

There are other cities in Ireland?

BBFAN wrote: »
    There are other cities in Ireland?

I really don't want to be in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i agree - there are other cities here. even large towns.
    rents in dublin are ridiculous. maybe not much better in any other city here but maybe a little less.

having said that, if you'd like to live abroad then maybe you should be considering that.
    you dont have to actually own a house in your lifetime.. a lot people never do.
    onky you can decide what you want to prioritize. good luck

• Advertisement

I really don't want to be in Ireland.

Have you looked at why you don't want to be in Ireland though?

You started off by saying you don't really like Dublin, have you lived anywhere else in Ireland? How do you know you hate all of Ireland?

If you're inherently unhappy in yourself a change of country is not going to change that.

Have you looked at why you don't want to be in Ireland though?

You started off by saying you don't really like Dublin, have you lived anywhere else in Ireland? How do you know you hate all of Ireland?

If you're inherently unhappy in yourself a change of country is not going to change that.

I'm from kilkenny and lived in waterford for college. I love city living. Big cities. I lived in the US for two years with my ex and loved it. But because I really like my job here and don't think I'd get it as good elsewhere I'm torn.

I'm from kilkenny and lived in waterford for college. I love city living. Big cities. I lived in the US for two years with my ex and loved it. But because I really like my job here and don't think I'd get it as good elsewhere I'm torn.

Okay if that's the case your options are limited. You can't go to America or Canada without a visa so for other major cities you're going to need another language.

Do you know any languages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Did you ever settle anywhere? Why did you come back?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Not everyone has their sh1t together, far from it, you only see the highlights reel on social media and not the full reality, so try not to compare yourself to others, unplug from social media if you have to.

• Advertisement

Why can't you get a decent job abroad?

I'm sure I'd get a decent job elsewhere but I'm really happy in my current job so leaving could be a bad move.

I don't have any other language. I could move to Canada I've actually lived there for a while before years ago. I'm terrified of the grass not always being greener etc etc.

I left the US and moved back because my ex wanted to. We aren't together anymore so I'm a bit resentful of him now.

I'm sure I'd get a decent job elsewhere but I'm really happy in my current job so leaving could be a bad move.

I don't have any other language. I could move to Canada I've actually lived there for a while before years ago. I'm terrified of the grass not always being greener etc etc.

I left the US and moved back because my ex wanted to. We aren't together anymore so I'm a bit resentful of him now.

You can't move to Canada without a permanent visa?

You can't move to Canada without a permanent visa?

I know I was there before on one I could go back.

Where I go isn't really the problem it's been torn between what's the sensible thing to do and what would set me up in the long run or what my heart wants

Maybe you should just go. You're not happy here even with your job and your family close by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Don't let the job alone stop you. I liked almost every job I had in my life, but each time I changed them I liked the new one even more. I was simply making informed decisions about what I needed and wanted from a job.

Decide on your big picture first, there are many good jobs in the world.

You're speaking in very strong terms about living abroad. Your heart aches, you say. Maybe you should go and see if this is something to get out of your system or what you genuinely want long term. Your mindset is baffling me. You're in a job here that (I'm assuming) is a good one. Why can't you get a good job abroad? You mentioned college too. So you're experienced and you've got qualifications. You also seem to think that it's abroad permanently or nothing. Why no in-between? Go and if you don't like it,come back? You're driving yourself demented sitting on the fence and doing nothing.

You're speaking in very strong terms about living abroad. Your heart aches, you say. Maybe you should go and see if this is something to get out of your system or what you genuinely want long term. Your mindset is baffling me. You're in a job here that (I'm assuming) is a good one. Why can't you get a good job abroad? You mentioned college too. So you're experienced and you've got qualifications. You also seem to think that it's abroad permanently or nothing. Why no in-between? Go and if you don't like it,come back? You're driving yourself demented sitting on the fence and doing nothing.

Because I have a lot of perks in my Dublin job. I have my own parking space I can drive to work in ten mins, I've a lot of friends at work. Potential to move forward. The likelihood of finding a job in Dublin with parking and a ten minute commute in the future is unlikely. This is why I'm so on the fence

So what's wrong with Dublin? What are you losing out on by not living abroad? (Apart from the basket case that is our housing market) Do you have friends outside of work? I notice you've not mentioned them.

So what's wrong with Dublin? What are you losing out on by not living abroad? (Apart from the basket case that is our housing market) Do you have friends outside of work? I notice you've not mentioned them.

It's the massive rent which in turn limits me from other things I can do. I've a few friends most of which are married or settled.
    I adore travelling. I travel as much as I can but with the cost of Dublin I've come to resent the place in the last two years because such a massive chuck of my wages is gone on just living here. Transport isn't great. It takes me almost an hour to get into town or to get anywhere in the city centre. Non of the perks I had when I lived abroad apply here. It's like I'm living in a city without the great city perks that all other cities have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Could you take a month of unpaid leave from your job and test out foreign living? Just move somewhere for a month.

JJayoo wrote: »
    Could you take a month of unpaid leave from your job and test out foreign living? Just move somewhere for a month.

Potentially when I'm in my job 5 years I could apply to take a career break for a year I'm there 2 years 8 months at the moment

So where could you live that would give you a decent job, cheap rent and scope to travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

You're wanting to stay in a job because of a parking space??

Fair enough if it was a parking space in the middle of the city but sound like you're on the outskirts of dublin

That's not living in Dublin... That's living in suburbia which can be pretty damn boring

Apart from from a parking space (which I really wouldn't regard as a perk if you live 10 mins away!) what else is going for your job here?

Sounds like you live in a goldfish bowl, living and working in the same place. That would have driven me potty when I was single...

I've always advised anyone who's asked to go abroad, you can always come back but at least you won't be sitting here in 10 years time writing an "if I'd my time over again" post

Try it, it doesn't work out, so what.. Least you tried

There are jobs with parking spaces all over the outskirts of Dublin, you'll be ok coming back ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭zapper55

I get the impression you think travelling will fill something in your life. If you were saying I like my life in Dublin and I am itching to travel I'd say go for it but it kinda sounds like you are running away from your problems. I'm guessing your social.life isn't great outside of work?

If the commute is a killer why not rent a room close to town? The additional rent would be balanced by not needing a car as you could walk to work.

I commute an hour door to door each way. Between Netflix and podcasts I really enjoy the time commuting.

What it boils down to is you've one life, if you think you'd regret not working abroad then do. If you stay here there are many things you can do to enjoy your life here but you need to want to be proactive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

I’d advise you to move. If you loved America why not go back there to Chicago, or a similar city? At least try the American option. Work your way down through a list of your preferred countries.

zapper55 wrote: »
    I get the impression you think travelling will fill something in your life. If you were saying I like my life in Dublin and I am itching to travel I'd say go for it but it kinda sounds like you are running away from your problems. I'm guessing your social.life isn't great outside of work?.

Very good point. I've re-read your original post. Are you sure you're not hankering after a time of your life you can never recapture? Two years abroad as a twentysomething in a relationship is a far cry from starting again as a single woman in her thirties. If you've not built up a new social life for yourself in Dublin, what'd make it easier abroad? Your peers will be largely coupled up/busy with their own kids too.

I've travelled a lot in my life I've been all over the world both alone and with people. I honestly feel so at peace when I'm away.
    There's not necessarily anything I'm running away from except the misery (sorry) that is Ireland. Everyday theres a story about house prices going up. The cost of living has gotten so high I'm always on the look out for a cheaper place to rent and everyday on daft there is places going up that are an insult to those looking for somewhere to call home.
    No I haven't got a great social life here and it's not for want of trying. I have joined clubs, made friends, I have friends just none that are available as much as me.
    Even dating here I find difficult.
    When I lived in Chicago it was on a training scheme from work at the time I didn't have a lot of money and hated my job but the city gave me such a buzz.
    I just adore living in a big city, I get the same sense of peace that others get from being in the countryside.
    I lived in Montreal for 6 months and just felt content. I had free GP I felt wanted there for want of a better term.
    I honestly feel like everything is just getting more and more expensive here in Ireland and there's no help here for anyone trying to buy or better themselves.

I don't mean to sound like a moan that's just how I'm feeling at the moment here

But on the flip side I really like my job and enjoy going in everyday.

You are very very dependent on that job of yours though, aren't you? If it wasn't for the job you'd be gone, right?

Having read what you've written so far, I think you should quit your job and move abroad again. I think that if you stay here, this is going to eat you up. The job you have isn't the only one in the world. It's not the only workplace where you'd be happy. You're not going to get this big city life you crave in Ireland and clearly Dublin isn't for you.

• Advertisement

You are very very dependent on that job of yours though, aren't you? If it wasn't for the job you'd be gone, right?

Having read what you've written so far, I think you should quit your job and move abroad again. I think that if you stay here, this is going to eat you up. The job you have isn't the only one in the world. It's not the only workplace where you'd be happy. You're not going to get this big city life you crave in Ireland and clearly Dublin isn't for you.

I guess I'm hoping something or someone will come along and make Dublin better for me.
    There's also the what ifs, the guilt of being away from home, from parents, being away when I hear people have died. All the things I felt guilty about the last time.
    Then there's the decision of where do I go.
    What if I regret it.
    What if in 6 months I want to come back but can't find work, accomodation etc etc!

I realise this is all very first world problems of me etc don't think I don't know there's people with real problems out there. It's just wrecking my head every single day.

Advertisement