Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht vs Munster, Sat 5th Jan 7:35pm, TG4/ES1

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

almostover wrote: »
    He was dispossessed in the 2nd half too in similar fashion, body position too high allowing an opposition player to hold him up and rip the ball away. I'm not sure what to make of him as a signing. Can be a very powerful carrier and impactful tackler but his reading of the game and rugby brain appears to be lagging behind others in the squad. We haven't much cover at no. 8 though.

I think he's been a super signing. I also think he's a good reader of the game. People lose the odd ball on occasion, nobody is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

I was no more than 8 meters from the rip and I did not understand what happened..... Am guessing it took at least 2 seconds for the other players to figure out he had the ball.... To be honest I think it took him a little while to realise the same

Was made to be part of "Pro14 highlights of the season". Very nice, and funny (the Munster support competing in the ruck when the ball was 30m away)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

He was dispossessed in the 2nd half too in similar fashion, body position too high allowing an opposition player to hold him up and rip the ball away. I'm not sure what to make of him as a signing. Can be a very powerful carrier and impactful tackler but his reading of the game and rugby brain appears to be lagging behind others in the squad. We haven't much cover at no. 8 though.

He has been a fantastic signing. This was the first time I thought he didn't have a great game.

As for rugby brain, he shows up in great run support and ruck support lines.
    A bit like CJ has developed, he needs to work on a few more passing Options but in fairness he is a monster carrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,788 ✭✭✭✭phog

Aside from the two in Galway how many more rips has he been guilty of? I can't think of any, not saying it hasn't happened but I doubt there's a pattern.

I think he's a good addition to our squad and I wouldn't be writing him of just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Botha has been superb for us, think I posted some of his stats a few weeks ago where he was leading metres made, tackles and defender beaten. He had some uncharacteristic bad moments in the game the last day, first time he's shown it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭almostover

leakyboots wrote: »
    Botha has been superb for us, think I posted some of his stats a few weeks ago where he was leading metres made, tackles and defender beaten. He had some uncharacteristic bad moments in the game the last day, first time he's shown it.

I'll relent and agree that this was just a bad day at the office for him. I think we're spoiled with Stander in many ways, it's difficult to think when last he'd a poor game. Very consistent performer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

phog wrote: »
    Some cracking trys in that game, Munster fully deserved the win though they let Connacht back into a game when they should have been home and hosed. Tom Farrell was MotM though if I was giving it to a Munster player I think I'd given it to POM.

We bossed Connacht from start to finish but let them carve us open a few times which allowed them get great trys. That rip had everyone confused but t'was a great rip, Botha won't like to see it in review.

I wasn't expecting a win up there so obviously I'm delighted with a BP win. Glasgow's three losses in a row really made last night's game a huge game for both Connacht and Munster, thankfully, Munster came away with max points.

Can't argue with any of that. I thought POM was MOTM too, he was outstanding and the real difference between the teams. Munster's bench also made a big difference, having Stander and Murray to come on is something else. Surprised Munster didn't mince our scrum with the front row we put out, that was encouraging, but our maul defence was abysmal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,187 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Zzippy wrote: »
    our maul defence was abysmal.

Munster have a very good maul. They also had a very meaty front five on the pitch with Kleyn, Ryan and Loughman and Scannell would be a big lump for a hooker in Ireland.

I wouldn't have expected Connacht to be coming close to matching them there, to be honest even with their own fairly bulky front five. How many times would that front five have played together?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Buer wrote: »
    Munster have a very good maul. They also had a very meaty front five on the pitch with Kleyn, Ryan and Loughman and Scannell would be a big lump for a hooker in Ireland.

I wouldn't have expected Connacht to be coming close to matching them there, to be honest even with their own fairly bulky front five. How many times would that front five have played together?

Fair point but It's not the only game this season where Connacht maul defence has been poor

Advertisement