Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht vs Munster, Sat 5th Jan 7:35pm, TG4/ES1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Wasn't he called into the Ireland squad towards the end of the AIs?

No. Farrell and Adam Byrne were brought in for training but not actually called up

• Registered Users Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

See, I agree with all your factual statements (except Murray and Stander came on during the second half, not halftime) but don't agree with the conclusion that Connacht should be happy with the outcome.

On the missing players; I'd say only Aki, Marmion and Butler are a big step up from those who replaced them. Apart from Daly, there's no one in the starting XV who jumps out as not belonging there, not in the same way the Ulster team was littered with cannon fodder. Calling it an Eagles team is nonsense. Munster were closer to full strength but equally, they hadn't won an away game in Ireland, Wales, Scotland, England or France in 13 months, this isn't a great team on the road.

Connacht should be aiming for a position where every home match is a win. If they need to be at full strength for every important game, that's not a viable situation to be in because injuries, player rotation, international absence is part and parcel of rugby.

Connacht have a golden opportunity this year by not having to worry about Europe - but next season, trying to fight on two fronts is going to be very tough. Squad needs to be strengthened again this summer, significantly.

Connacht are playing in Europe, and they have a realistic chance of winning their group and have a crucial match at home next weekend.

There are some extremely patronising posters on this forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Akrasia wrote: »
    Connacht are playing in Europe, and they have a realistic chance of winning their group and have a crucial match at home next weekend.

There are some extremely patronising posters on this forum

And some extremely clueless ones too. Plenty of others who just lose their sh1t when they see anything negative about their own province. I'm sorry I mentioned Munster's away record.

Connacht have been sending out weakened teams in Europe all season. They've been using it for squad rotation which is exactly what they should be doing. They don't really care about it, and they're dead right too. The Pro 14 playoffs and qualifying for Europe next year are all that matter.

That's not patronising, it's fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Marmion, Buckley, Aki, Butler, SOB, Bealham (+Godwin at least on the bench).
    That's 6 and a half who are surely and clearly above those who played yesterday. 40% of the team
    + Fainga'a and Kelleher, whatever you said about Europe, are overplayed and probably would have been rested under IRFU protocols

So Yes I maintain Connacht were not full-strenght by far.
    That's not an excuse. Lineout throws and silly (Roux) penalties are still major problems to fix.
    But having a BP vs THAT Munster team is an acheivement

Roll on Sale A next week !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Realistically Connacht were missing 5 or 6 very important players (pretty much all their internationals) and were up against a fully loaded Munster side once Murray and Stander came off the bench at half-time. Meanwhile Connacht started an emergency loan signing in the centre, had another emergency loan signing come off the bench and had a couple more kids come off the bench.

In the circumstances I think they gave as much as they could. Made errors yes but they toughed out a BP in the end.

See, I agree with all your factual statements (except Murray and Stander came on during the second half, not halftime) but don't agree with the conclusion that Connacht should be happy with the outcome.

On the missing players; I'd say only Aki, Marmion and Butler are a big step up from those who replaced them. Apart from Daly, there's no one in the starting XV who jumps out as not belonging there, not in the same way the Ulster team was littered with cannon fodder. Calling it an Eagles team is nonsense. Munster were closer to full strength but equally, they hadn't won an away game in Ireland, Wales, Scotland, England or France in 13 months, this isn't a great team on the road.

Connacht should be aiming for a position where every home match is a win. If they need to be at full strength for every important game, that's not a viable situation to be in because injuries, player rotation, international absence is part and parcel of rugby.

Connacht have a golden opportunity this year by not having to worry about Europe - but next season, trying to fight on two fronts is going to be very tough. Squad needs to be strengthened again this summer, significantly.

Buckley, Bealham, SOB, Butler, Marmion, Bundee, Godwin, and TOH. All of those are starters except possibly Godwin who would have been next up for Bundee. That’s a spine of a team you can use for rotation which Friend has done. Given all those players missing and how loaded Munster were, a LBP was a good result. We’re never going to manage an injury crisis as well as Munster and Leinster, that’s just a reality.

Taking one comment about Connacht Eagles is disingenuous to the rest of the sensible post by other supporters.

No one is delighted with the loss but sometimes you have to sit back at the end and say Munster played very well and we were running low on resources and just take your loss.

Is it detrimental to our season? No
    Have we got a decent run of fixtures until round 21? Yes

On to Sale next week, which should be a cracker depending on what team Sale bring over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

its_phil wrote: »
    Buckley, Bealham, SOB, Butler, Marmion, Bundee, Godwin, and TOH. All of those are starters except possibly Godwin who would have been next up for Bundee. That’s a spine of a team you can use for rotation which Friend has done. Given all those players missing and how loaded Munster were, a LBP was a good result. We’re never going to manage an injury crisis as well as Munster and Leinster, that’s just a reality.

Taking one comment about Connacht Eagles is disingenuous to the rest of the sensible post by other supporters.

No one is delighted with the loss but sometimes you have to sit back at the end and say Munster played very well and we were running low on resources and just take your loss.

On to Sale next week, which should be a cracker depending on what team Sale bring over.

We completely agree, see my post above.
    Connacht Eagles was exaggerated, I'm ok with that. But having Burke and DeBuitlear saw we were short on ressources

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Sirius Boner

its_phil wrote: »

Not a lot of sensible posts on here by Connacht supporters last night...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Not a lot of sensible posts on here by Connacht supporters last night...

I don't think the lack of sensible posts was limited to Connacht supporters.....but on the bright side it's a lot better then the cluster**** from last week when you beat leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Haven’t watched the game back yet, but looked like a poor bit of squad management in terms of targeting interpros and fatigue that caught Connacht last night. Disappointed Munster got the bonus point. Thought it was up there with the best Munster have played this season particularly away from home.

Tom Farrell was incredible. As was Pom and beirne. Think sob and butler were huge loses when it came to managing the threat of pom and beirne.

With six nations coming up Connacht have a great chance of making up some ground in terms of winning the conference/ second spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Sirius Boner

I don't think the lack of sensible posts was limited to Connacht supporters.....but on the bright side it's a lot better then the cluster**** from last week when you beat leinster

I suppose it was quite a few Leinster posters first taste of defeat against Munster, the shock upset them....no such excuses here though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Indeed this is very true. But the message there was we DIDN'T beat Leinster Leinster BEAT themselves :D

But never mind that, this is a new week and they are back to telling other provinces how they should be managed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

It's really a shame that so many muppets posters feel the need to come in and **** all over these match threads with posts that have pretty much nothing to do with rugby and everything to do with interprovincial nonsense, totally ruins the thread for the normal people who want to chat about that match.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 320 ✭✭WillieMason

irishgeo wrote: »
    The ref is poor. Letting Munster away with everything and penalising connacht every chance he gets.

Irish Rugby is more corrupt then boxing

irishgeo wrote: »
    They are booing the ref poor decisions. Quite rightly so. The oh so holy Munster fans never ever boo anything of course. ��

Munster are the worst fans in the world for twisting the truth

The number of Leinster players playing for both teams tonight is staggering.

I count it as 6 starters for Connacht and prob a 7th for Heffernan as he went to Rock and Buckley is from Roscommon but also went to Rock.

Munster had 4 starters from Leinster.

Ulster had 3 starters today and that’s without Murphy and Cooney.

Anything to be said for the IRFU setting up a 5th Franchise at this stage?

There should be a Dublin team

Phenomenal result for Munster!

phenomenal result against a weakened connacht team? sums up where Munster rugby is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Deagol

phenomenal result against a weakened connacht team? sums up where Munster rugby is.

Jesus, the high quality arguments are just dazzling .... <unfollows thread>

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Precious.

connachta wrote: »
    Very, Very good BP for Connacht Eagles+ vs Munster main!!!!!!!
    Happy!

Connacht Eagles would have won if it wasnt for the corrupt Ref

Anthracite wrote: »
    Stands to reason given where most of the country's population is. How about splitting Leinster into Dublin and Leinster?

Great Idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »
    Precious.

Is it your birthday and you wants it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

At the top of its conference :)

On the bright side, it could well be possible that the return fixture, last game of the season, will have both teams going for broke...with plenty to play for

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Great Idea

Better idea, drag the thread bag into niggle. Grow up.

The number of Leinster players playing for both teams tonight is staggering.

I count it as 6 starters for Connacht and prob a 7th for Heffernan as he went to Rock and Buckley is from Roscommon but also went to Rock.

Munster had 4 starters from Leinster.

Ulster had 3 starters today and that’s without Murphy and Cooney.

Anything to be said for the IRFU setting up a 5th Franchise at this stage?

Maybe a Cork Franchise since Munster's capital city which now feels ignored by the province??

https://www.balls.ie/rugby/donal-lenihan-munster-rugby-cork-348860

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I had no idea how large the Munster squad is.
    The academy lads aren't given much of a chance.
    Judging by D.M's article, there's cash flying out the window.
    There must be a cull? How is it sustainable? What hope does the academy provide, if the lads aren't getting an opportunity?
    But, there are some lads who can do a good job at other provinces.
    ROM is a good player. He could move and strengthen another province.
    Sean O Connor is not getting a look in, he could be a cheap option for Ulstet? Or Leinster?
    Taute will be let go, I think. He's probably a top earner and is a bench warmer now.
    D.O.C will also be released. His injury profile is awful and he's never had a really consistent run.
    Hart is a goner, as is Keatley. Keatley will most likely go abroad.
    Munster continues to sign NIQ's and it's detrimental to the homegrown lads.
    It's bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I had no idea how large the Munster squad is.
    The academy lads aren't given much of a chance.
    Judging by D.M's article, there's cash flying out the window.
    There must be a cull? How is it sustainable? What hope does the academy provide, if the lads aren't getting an opportunity?
    But, there are some lads who can do a good job at other provinces.
    ROM is a good player. He could move and strengthen another province.
    Sean O Connor is not getting a look in, he could be a cheap option for Ulstet? Or Leinster?
    Taute will be let go, I think. He's probably a top earner and is a bench warmer now.
    D.O.C will also be released. His injury profile is awful and he's never had a really consistent run.
    Hart is a goner, as is Keatley. Keatley will most likely go abroad.
    Munster continues to sign NIQ's and it's detrimental to the homegrown lads.
    It's bizarre.

Taute off to Leicester apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 24,038 ✭✭✭✭phog

Some cracking trys in that game, Munster fully deserved the win though they let Connacht back into a game when they should have been home and hosed. Tom Farrell was MotM though if I was giving it to a Munster player I think I'd given it to POM.

We bossed Connacht from start to finish but let them carve us open a few times which allowed them get great trys. That rip had everyone confused but t'was a great rip, Botha won't like to see it in review.

I wasn't expecting a win up there so obviously I'm delighted with a BP win. Glasgow's three losses in a row really made last night's game a huge game for both Connacht and Munster, thankfully, Munster came away with max points.

phog wrote:
    We bossed Connacht from start to finish but let them carve us open a few times which allowed them get great trys. That rip had everyone confused but t'was a great rip, Botha won't like to see it in review.

I was no more than 8 meters from the rip and I did not understand what happened..... Am guessing it took at least 2 seconds for the other players to figure out he had the ball.... To be honest I think it took him a little while to realise the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

I was no more than 8 meters from the rip and I did not understand what happened..... Am guessing it took at least 2 seconds for the other players to figure out he had the ball.... To be honest I think it took him a little while to realise the same

He was dispossessed in the 2nd half too in similar fashion, body position too high allowing an opposition player to hold him up and rip the ball away. I'm not sure what to make of him as a signing. Can be a very powerful carrier and impactful tackler but his reading of the game and rugby brain appears to be lagging behind others in the squad. We haven't much cover at no. 8 though.

Advertisement