Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pesky mould. Please help!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

What dehumidifier are you using - could you link to it?

How often are you running it?

I got one on Amazon last year. I run it on the landing of a 2 story semi d. Initially I had to run it 24 hours a day and empty it several times a day. But as it dried out the place I had to run it less and less. It took about 3 weeks solid for it to truly get rid of al the excess moisture in the property.

Now it takes about a day for it to fill the tank (just under 2 litres) depending on whats going on in the house (it wont fill the tank in a day if I havent been cooking/showering or drying clothes in the house) and in the summer I barely need it at all.

There is not adequate ventilation if there is only one vent in the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-DNC65-Dehumidifier-White/dp/B000UVPOUA

This works well for both drying clothes and reducing general hunidity levels from cooking, bathing or laundry. Replaced by a newer model I see which I assume is good too. We also have a challenge compressor dehumidifier which is less effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭Sarn

The other thing about apartments is the separation between the other units. When the neighbours below were away we didn’t have to run the dehumidifier as much. We could smell their food when they were cooking strong smelling food. On that basis their moisture was ours too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 boyoutofhell

Contact environmental health in your local council.

They will put an order in place to get things sorted if indeed there are issues.

Thanks for the tip, will look into that. :)
    ....... wrote: »
    What dehumidifier are you using - could you link to it?

How often are you running it?

I use THIS ONE I got on Amazon. It does what it says and removes 12 L of moisture per day and sterilises the air using UV light. I've been running it for about 3 weeks now I'd say and while there's a slight improvement (went down from 95% to about 80%), there still is mould.
    Sarn wrote: »
    The other thing about apartments is the separation between the other units. When the neighbours below were away we didn’t have to run the dehumidifier as much. We could smell their food when they were cooking strong smelling food. On that basis their moisture was ours too.

I only have one neighbour below, no other apartments around and they're gone all day except for evenings and weekends. There is no trace of condensation on their windows, but if I ever run into them again I'll ask if they have mould. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

Halving the load was among the first things I tried. The damn thing just doesn't dry them all the way no matter what. Unfortunately the apartment we live is pretty small as is, so I've got nowhere to put a separate dryer.

Can you clarify does your washer/dryer have a condenser or does it have a air vent?

If it has a condenser do you empty the water out of it?

If it has a vent do you bring the exhaust pipe to a window when you are operating it?

• Advertisement

Poll Dubh wrote: »
    Can you clarify does your washer/dryer have a condenser or does it have a air vent?

If it has a condenser do you empty the water out of it?

If it has a vent do you bring the exhaust pipe to a window when you are operating it?

It's a Hoover DynamicNext washer/dryer unit that came with the apartment, so I don't have a clue what drying technology it uses. I'm assuming it evacuates moisture through the exhaust hose, as there's no air vent or water tank on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,365 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Look, I know I may not be the smartest one out of the bunch, but operating a dryer doesn't pose a challenge even for someone like me. The damn thing can't dry clothes completely even on the highest setting running for 5 hours. Using the dehumidifier takes care of drying the clothes better and faster than the dryer. It's the rest of the dampness that it can't seem to be able to remove.

Do you have it set to cold or warm ?

Do you spin and rinse the clothes in the washer?

5 hours isn’t right.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Top tip..... Run the spin cycle on washing machine again after the full wash.

This will actually help quite a bit.

Make sure there is nothing blocking the vents.

If you can take photos before you clean any mould and document all issues.

Contact environmental health officer ( I had to do this as we had mushrooms, black mould spores etc etc and many many more issues such as windows not sealing or closing, door not stopping any wind or draught)

If you have ensuite open doors and make sure Fan is clean and cleared of dust(use vacuum)

Open windows to get the air circulating and get rid of the damp.

Run the dehumidifier in the worst part of the house.

Open windows when you can but don't over do this either.(I know you said you do this)

Vinegar and lemon is meant to be great or get the mould and mildew spray.

Check for leaks around sinks and outlets.

Does the heat work correctly in all rooms?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

It's a Hoover DynamicNext washer/dryer unit that came with the apartment, so I don't have a clue what drying technology it uses. I'm assuming it evacuates moisture through the exhaust hose, as there's no air vent or water tank on it.

I thought the washer/dryer might be causing your humidity problems. However, the manual for the model indicates that the dryer drains straight into your plumbing. I suggest checking the discharge hose is correctly positioned (p.10)

I also suggest checking that your filter is clean (p.13) so that all water is draining out of the machine following a spin.

The level of humidity you have suggests a leak. Have you noticed the mould appearing in a particular area quicker than in others / is the mould thicker in any spot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Out of interest how much does a dryer cost to run. That and the immersion are the two things Irish people seen terrified of.

• Advertisement

Out of interest how much does a dryer cost to run. That and the immersion are the two things Irish people seen terrified of.

Well my washer/dryer needs 5-6 kW total for a normal washing + drying cycle (5kg of laundry), which costs a little under €1.5 total. Now I'm on Pinergy which is prepaid electricity so I guess costs may vary depending on the provider.

Dunno about immersion, my apartment is electrically heated. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

One thing to note about most electric dehumidifiers (I have 2 in our house) is that their performance dips in cold environments. It may be that you need to increase the heat in your apartment (and perhaps counterintuitively close all the windows to maintain that heat) to get the dehumidifier to work optimally

• Registered Users Posts: 14,819 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

EDit wrote: »
    One thing to note about most electric dehumidifiers (I have 2 in our house) is that their performance dips in cold environments. It may be that you need to increase the heat in your apartment (and perhaps counterintuitively close all the windows to maintain that heat) to get the dehumidifier to work optimally

dessicant-based dehumidifiers work better in the cold, but that shouldn't be an issue in an occupied house or apartment, the condenser type should work fine down to about 12 degrees.

We've had mould problems in our house, again probably caused by drying clothes indoors; but also if you're cooking, showering, even breathing, you're creating additional moisture.

Dehumidifier in the room where we dry the clothes has helped a lot, also make sure bathroom and kitchen extractor fans are working properly and turned on when required.

I've heard good things about Positive Input Ventilation for older properties, but that's probably not practical in an apartment (particular a rental).

Dettol Mould and Mildew remover.

Cost about €5 in Dunnes

Best product I have ever used.

I second this product. Also, use a condenser dryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

I use THIS ONE I got on Amazon. It does what it says and removes 12 L of moisture per day and sterilises the air using UV light. I've been running it for about 3 weeks now I'd say and while there's a slight improvement (went down from 95% to about 80%), there still is mould.
    You've only been using the dehumidifier for 3 weeks? That will only prevent the situation getting worse- it can't remove mould that is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Well my washer/dryer needs 5-6 kW total for a normal washing + drying cycle (5kg of laundry), which costs a little under €1.5 total. Now I'm on Pinergy which is prepaid electricity so I guess costs may vary depending on the provider.

Dunno about immersion, my apartment is electrically heated. :D

5-6kWh is pretty standard consumption for a full washer dryer cycle.
    Mine takes similar, if we assume 8c/kWh for night rate it costs me 48c to run a wash and dry cycle.

fash wrote: »
    You've only been using the dehumidifier for 3 weeks? That will only prevent the situation getting worse- it can't remove mould that is there.
    +1
    I am in this cycle at the moment. Preventative but there was a small amount of mold building.
    You need to treat the mold first, then use a dehumidifier.

ELM327 wrote: »
    +1
    I am in this cycle at the moment. Preventative but there was a small amount of mold building.

Actually we found it better to leave the mould initially, run the dehumidifier for a few weeks, then remove the mould (which had dried out a lot by then) and it wasnt able to come back.

YMMY.

f we assume 8c/kWh for night rate it costs me 48c to run a wash and dry cycle.

Can't leave it running overnight. Tried it, but couldn't sleep because of the noise it makes. I run it during the day @ 22c/kWh :)
    +1
    ....... wrote: »
    Actually we found it better to leave the mould initially, run the dehumidifier for a few weeks, then remove the mould (which had dried out a lot by then) and it wasnt able to come back.

YMMY.

I'm kinda in the process of trying both these methods. Will see how it goes. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mike3549

So do all people who claim its cheaper to run electrics at night have a special day/night meter installed? Cos you do realize that if its a standard one, it will cost the same amount of money, whether you use it at night or day

• Advertisement

Mike3549 wrote: »
    So do all people who claim its cheaper to run electrics at night have a special day/night meter installed? Cos you do realize that if its a standard one, it will cost the same amount of money, whether you use it at night or day
    It's a free change to a day/night meter which you request through your supplier who will send the info to ESB networks.

No brainer IMO once you have a timer for each device. Most of mine came with timers but those that don't you can buy timers for the socket.

Can't leave it running overnight. Tried it, but couldn't sleep because of the noise it makes. I run it during the day @ 22c/kWh :)

I'm kinda in the process of trying both these methods. Will see how it goes. :D
    I'm a very heavy sleeper and a very dedicated cheapskate, in equal parts :D

It's a free change to a day/night meter which you request through your supplier who will send the info to ESB networks.

No brainer IMO once you have a timer for each device. Most of mine came with timers but those that don't you can buy timers for the socket.

the day rate electricity is substantially more expensive with a dual rate meter, so it's not a no-brainer, you need to assess your usage patterns. No-one is going to be cooking their dinner at midnight.

I'm a very heavy sleeper and a very dedicated cheapskate, in equal parts :D

Gosh, I envy you! :D

Can you please let me know where you can buy these socket timers you are talking about? How do these things work exactly?

loyatemu wrote: »
    the day rate electricity is substantially more expensive with a dual rate meter, so it's not a no-brainer, you need to assess your usage patterns. No-one is going to be cooking their dinner at midnight.
    It's approx 10% more expensive at most.
    I am on a plan similar to this but it was 28% discount when I signed up not 21%
    https://www.bonkers.ie/compare-gas-electricity-prices/bord-gais-energy/QX6JWX/21pc-discount-paperless-direct-debit-level-pay/

When you consider the average person with a dishwasher, washing machine and immersion could run these on a timer and run at night or during the day (ie it doesnt matter when they run during a 24hr period), that alone makes the night rate work. I've ran the sums myself already. Even without my EV it still saved me money.

Gosh, I envy you! :D

Can you please let me know where you can buy these socket timers you are talking about? How do these things work exactly?

You can buy them in any hardware store like woodies etc
    Here's one from google at random but they all work the same way, just a timed switch to either allow power through or not
    https://www.ie.screwfix.com/masterplug-digital-programmable-7-day-timer-240v-828852.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQiAsdHhBRCwARIsAAhRhskyoImZSt1BLitsqE01e8KHYmC-zmPPhScDDxoVaOzF535FJEz5l3AaAiFBEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Even better get the WiFi enabled plug sockets.

These are great as you can set routines and also turn on from your phone or tablet.

Great for Christmas tree also.

Standard plug timers - you can get them in Woodies, B&Q, any hardware - Tescos might even have them?

It's approx 10% more expensive at most.
    I am on a plan similar to this but it was 28% discount when I signed up not 21%
    https://www.bonkers.ie/compare-gas-electricity-prices/bord-gais-energy/QX6JWX/21pc-discount-paperless-direct-debit-level-pay/

When you consider the average person with a dishwasher, washing machine and immersion could run these on a timer and run at night or during the day (ie it doesnt matter when they run during a 24hr period), that alone makes the night rate work. I've ran the sums myself already. Even without my EV it still saved me money.

if you're only running those appliances once a day, fine, our washing machine is rarely not running :(

loyatemu wrote: »
    if you're only running those appliances once a day, fine, our washing machine is rarely not running :(
    You can only wear so many clothes, I wouldn't stand for running any of those devices more than once a day!

• Advertisement

When you consider the average person with a dishwasher, washing machine and immersion could run these on a timer and run at night or during the day (ie it doesnt matter when they run during a 24hr period), that alone makes the night rate work.

The Fire Brigade recommend you dont run appliances such as mentioned at night as they are fire risks.

Advertisement