Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pesky mould. Please help!

Options
  • 03-01-2019 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hello everyone,

I moved to Ireland late August last year and am currently renting an apartment within a newly built residential building in Co. Kerry. For the first couple of months everything was fine but as winter came along we started to have a serious mould issue. I knew Ireland was a humid country, but I did not expect to have mould growing literally everywhere from the walls and window sills to the curtains and the clothes in the closet.

I've tried just about everything, from scrubbing the walls with bleach and vinegar to buying the most powerful dehumidifier I could find available on the market, but the mould just keeps reappearing and the dehumidifier doesn't seem to be able to go below 80%. There is a vent in the wall for air circulation which we keep open and unobstructed at all times and we also air extensively by opening all the windows several times a day, yet mould is thriving and there's always condensation on the lower half of the windows. From what I can tell, there is no leaking pipe in the walls that could be causing the excessive humidity.

I am at my wits end. Has anyone else been through this and is able to share some advice?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

When you say new build, how new. I'd get on to Iandlord and tell him. They obviously don't want their property destroyed by mould so it's in their interest to get it sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 21 boyoutofhell

When you say new build, how new.

Not older than 5 years I'd dare say, although I'm not an expert in constructions. The interior is newly renovated and refurbished anyways.

I noticed the walls have some sort of glossy layer of thick, waxy paint on the outside of the building, maybe to repel the rain, I dunno. I'm tempted to think there's excess moisture stuck in the walls as the coat of paint might not allow them to 'breathe' properly. I dunno... I just don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

If it is genuinely a new build OP and you have mould you have to look at your behaviour.

Do you have the heating on? Do you open windows? Do you dry clothes indoors?

BBFAN wrote: »
    Do you have the heating on?

Yes, the heating is on, I keep it on moderate as I don't like when it's too hot inside.
    Do you open windows?

Yes, I open ALL windows several times during the day and keep them open for a considerable amount of time.
    Do you dry clothes indoors?

Yes, I dry clothes indoors, because I have no balcony/backyard where I could air-dry them. I do have a washer/dryer unit, but it doesn't dry them completely and it wrinkles the hell out of them so I don't use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

See other thread and a dehumidifier will work wonders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭LotharIngum

Yes, I dry clothes indoors, because I have no balcony/backyard where I could air-dry them. I do have a washer/dryer unit, but it doesn't dry them completely and it wrinkles the hell out of them so I don't use it.

And that's why you have mould.

Everyone renting says they don't dry clothes indoors but they do, but at least you are telling the truth.

There is no surer way to get mold in a small area. They only reason people doing this in houses don't get mould (well they do a lot actually) is the much bigger airspace to take the moisture.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I've lived in apartments and this shouldn't be happening at all.

I've been in the same where only option to dry clothes is a clothes horse including one provided by LL.

We dried a lot of clothes (young child) and had no issues in the apartment.

We lived in a house, didn't dry in the house and we had mushrooms, mould and pure black walls.

The house had no insulation apart from plaster pumped onto a granite stone wall.

Get onto LL as stated previously and get the property sorted as there may well be a leak somewhere.

Is there vents throughout the property?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭mbradso2003

I get this in my apartment OP, improved since I bought dehumidifier.

I use the below once a year to clear mould before as it starts

https://www.woodies.ie/hg-500ml-mould-spray-30-extra-free-1126975

Mine is caused by boiling pots and drying clothes and is near windows where condensation gathers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,614 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Mine is caused by boiling pots and drying clothes and is near windows where condensation gathers.

I can vouch drastically for this product too,
    Works a treat, but make sure to ventilate the area well as it's very damaging to your airway (speaking from experience!)

Graces7 wrote: »
    See other thread and a dehumidifier will work wonders

I already have a dehumidifier, most powerful I could get my hands on and it still can't bring the humidity below 80%.
    And that's why you have mould.

Everyone renting says they don't dry clothes indoors but they do, but at least you are telling the truth.

Man, I'd prefer drying my clothes outside if I had space for that but I don't even have a balcony.
    Get onto LL as stated previously and get the property sorted as there may well be a leak somewhere.

Is there vents throughout the property?

Just so you understand, I've been on my LL's back for sorting out parking spaces, mailboxes and some faulty cabling for the past 4 months and he still didn't do anything about that. I honestly doubt he'll take action. Probably he'll tell me to open the windows more often.

As for the vents, yes, there is one circular air vent which we keep open and unobstructed at all times.

ELM327 wrote: »
    I can vouch drastically for this product too,
    Works a treat, but make sure to ventilate the area well as it's very damaging to your airway (speaking from experience!)

Thanks for the tip you guys, but I already have that spray and I've ran through an entire bottle in less than 2 months because 2 or 3 days after I spray and scrub the mould is back in full force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Drying clothes completely indoors in an apartment is going to cause a huge amount of mould. I'd suggest learning to use the dryer properly, or the problem will not go away.

3DataModem wrote: »
    Drying clothes completely indoors in an apartment is going to cause a huge amount of mould. I'd suggest learning to use the dryer properly, or the problem will not go away.

Look, I know I may not be the smartest one out of the bunch, but operating a dryer doesn't pose a challenge even for someone like me. The damn thing can't dry clothes completely even on the highest setting running for 5 hours. Using the dehumidifier takes care of drying the clothes better and faster than the dryer. It's the rest of the dampness that it can't seem to be able to remove.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭snor

I lived in several apartments, always dried clothes indoors as had no choice - did open windows for a few mins every day - but never, ever had mould. Do the same with my house now and again no mould. I don’t think whatvghd OP is experiencing is normal!

snor wrote: »
    I lived in several apartments, always dried clothes indoors as had no choice - did open windows for a few mins every day - but never, ever had mould. Do the same with my house now and again no mould. I don’t think whatvghd OP is experiencing is normal!

You were lucky.
    If you let it get as far as bad mold once, you are screwed. Very hard to get rid of the spores after that and it wont take much to bring it back. And you'll more than likely bring it with you to your next place too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Dettol Mould and Mildew remover.

Cost about €5 in Dunnes

Best product I have ever used.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,589 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Look, I know I may not be the smartest one out of the bunch, but operating a dryer doesn't pose a challenge even for someone like me. The damn thing can't dry clothes completely even on the highest setting running for 5 hours. Using the dehumidifier takes care of drying the clothes better and faster than the dryer. It's the rest of the dampness that it can't seem to be able to remove.

A lot of those washer/dryers will only dry properly if it's on a half load, might be worth a go?

Otherwise do you have the space for a clothes dryer? You can get a condenser one that doesn't need to be plumbed in. I bought one recently and it completely sorted out the humidity problems in my apartment.

bottom line is that if you dry clothes indoors you are providing the ideal conditions for mold throughout the house.

Make all the excuses in the world but if someone does this they have only themselves to blame when they get mold.

Just don't do it.

bottom line is that if you dry clothes indoors you are providing the ideal conditions for mold throughout the house.

Make all the excuses in the world but if someone does this they have only themselves to blame when they get mold.

Just don't do it.

and the alternative is not there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

You can get dehumidifiers that have a laundry drying mode, which works well both in terms of drying the clothes and in terms of preventing damp.

Delonghi dessicant dehumidifer works great for this. We have a decent drier as well as the dehumidifier and the dehumidifier is generally preferred.

and the alternative is not there?

There are always alternatives.

Dry clothes indoors. Don't cry when you get mold. simple

• Advertisement

There are always alternatives.

Dry clothes indoors. Don't cry when you get mold. simple

:eek:

Name some alternatives then?

NB I dry clothes inside and no mould

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

The dehumidifier is a working way of doing it.

Clothes line outside. Dryer. Dehumidifier in the bathroom with the clothes hanging in a clothes horse in the bath. Do you seriously not know how to dry clothes?

So you dry clothes inside. So when you get mold in a year or two you'll going crying to the landlord and will you tell him you were drying clothes inside.

One vent for a whole apartment isn't enough. Each room should be ventilated.

Even so that may not be enough.
    I've just had to order a dehumidifier for the bedroom with ensuite shower in my apartment as despite us not drying clothes it gets a bit moldy when the heating is on and shower used regularly. (owner occupier not landlord)

Even so that may not be enough.
    I've just had to order a dehumidifier for the bedroom with ensuite shower in my apartment as despite us not drying clothes it gets a bit moldy when the heating is on and shower used regularly. (owner occupier not landlord)

Imagine that. Someone who is proactive with mold issues in their own house.
    You sir, are clearly an owner occupier. You didn't even have to say it.

Imagine that. Someone who is proactive with mold issues in their own house.
    You sir, are clearly an owner occupier. You didn't even have to say it.
    In fairness I rented for ~10 years before buying and did the same in those properties too.
    Last place I lived in as a tenant we were there for ~4 years and got mold in year 1 in winter (again in bedroom with ensuite) so removed it with the woodies mold spray and repainted the walls. Dehumidifier keeps it at bay. Not sure what it is with ensuites but they don't seem correctly vented in a lot of Irish properties.

In fairness I rented for ~10 years before buying and did the same in those properties too.
    Last place I lived in as a tenant we were there for ~4 years and got mold in year 1 in winter (again in bedroom with ensuite) so removed it with the woodies mold spray and repainted the walls. Dehumidifier keeps it at bay. Not sure what it is with ensuites but they don't seem correctly vented in a lot of Irish properties.

I blame your parents for making you so proactive. If only everyone could be like that.

Dettol Mould and Mildew remover.

Cost about €5 in Dunnes

Best product I have ever used.

Thank you. I will give it a go.
    o1s1n wrote: »
    A lot of those washer/dryers will only dry properly if it's on a half load, might be worth a go?

Otherwise do you have the space for a clothes dryer? You can get a condenser one that doesn't need to be plumbed in. I bought one recently and it completely sorted out the humidity problems in my apartment.

Halving the load was among the first things I tried. The damn thing just doesn't dry them all the way no matter what. Unfortunately the apartment we live is pretty small as is, so I've got nowhere to put a separate dryer.

Just don't do it.

LotharIngum, it's very easy to get up on your high horse and be condescending to other posters without trying to put yourself in someone else's shoes and at least be open to believing they're doing the best with what they've got to prevent mould.

I've been a LL myself so I've been on that side of the fence. I am not the one to cause property damage willingly. Did it maybe occur to you the vent layout and/or placement might be to blame? Because that's what I'm starting to think based on other people's helpful posts.
    You can get dehumidifiers that have a laundry drying mode, which works well both in terms of drying the clothes and in terms of preventing damp.

Yes, thank you. The dehumidifer I own has a laundry drying mode and it does help with drying laundry completely, but it isn't able to keep the rest of the moisture in the air at bay.

From what others are saying I'm believing to think that might be the issue, so thank you for pointing this out as well.

Seeing how I can't get my LL to do his job and take care of smaller tasks, I don't know how I'm going to get additional vents in the walls though.

• Advertisement

Contact environmental health in your local council.

They will put an order in place to get things sorted if indeed there are issues.

Advertisement