Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 Nations 2019 Build Up thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

England to win by 25.
    France to win by 7.
    Ireland to win by 3.

You heard it here first.
    Get yourselves down to your fav betting shop and ching ching! LOL:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

troyzer wrote: »
    Yeah, way too many Experts.

Im not the first to call a game wrong here.

It's really hard to project as far as the semi final.

You have the butterflies. Where is your confidence?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Amprodude wrote: »
    Im not the first to call a game wrong here.

And you won't be the last. But the difference is, you're criticising people for calling a game wrong before that game has even happened.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    that team will be eaten alive in twickenham

edit: although by kick off time there may be no appetite for england to put up a huge score

Scotland have been eaten alive in Twickenham since 1983. Won't change at the weekend. England be hoping we do them a favour against Wales. I hope England win it. Wales haven't been a nice team going back in history. 1972 themselves and Scotland failed to turn up in the 5 nations denying a grand slam for Ireland. In 1989 they were very scrappy against the Irish team at home and were throwing punches in the wholegame and 2009 they did there very best to mess up our slam in a nasty way. England as much as everyone hates them turned up in 1972 and supported us when we were making a bid for the world Cup. Our good friends in Wales didn't back us up. Hope Ireland do England a favour Saturday. England have been the best team this year.

• Advertisement

aloooof wrote: »
    And you won't be the last. But the difference is, you're criticising people for calling a game wrong before that game has even happened.

Not criticising anyone but just offering my opinion on the game like yourself and all others on here. That's why this is a great place.

England to win by 25.
    France to win by 7.
    Ireland to win by 3.

You heard it here first.
    Get yourselves down to your fav betting shop and ching ching! LOL:D

First two look good but Ireland may not deny Wales a slam. Hope I'm wrong.

Wales up to their dirty tricks again going against protocol to close the roof in the principality stadium. Ireland should make a big deal about this. Really hope Ireland spoil the party and hand England the title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Scotland have been eaten alive in Twickenham since 1983. Won't change at the weekend. England be hoping we do them a favour against Wales. I hope England win it. Wales haven't been a nice team going back in history. 1972 themselves and Scotland failed to turn up in the 5 nations denying a grand slam for Ireland. In 1989 they were very scrappy against the Irish team at home and were throwing punches in the wholegame and 2009 they did there very best to mess up our slam in a nasty way. England as much as everyone hates them turned up in 1972 and supported us when we were making a bid for the world Cup. Our good friends in Wales didn't back us up. Hope Ireland do England a favour Saturday. England have been the best team this year.

Indeed. We have no reason to help Wales.

First two look good but Ireland may not deny Wales a slam. Hope I'm wrong.

as MeatLoaf once said ....;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Suggest if any team was going to win the GS in 1972 ..... it would not have been Ireland.

That statement ..... 'denied us a GS' is kind of an urban myth .........

Suggest if any team was going to win the GS in 1972 ..... it would not have been Ireland.

That statement ..... 'denied us a GS' is kind of an urban myth .........

We will never know now because both Scotland and Wales didn't turn up to tell the tale.

We will never know now because both Scotland and Wales didn't turn up to tell the tale.

..... that is more like it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Wales up to their dirty tricks again going against protocol to close the roof in the principality stadium. Ireland should make a big deal about this. Really hope Ireland spoil the party and hand England the title.

And they'll over-water the pitch again

The roof is not a huge issue for me ..... but I agree with Gatland when he says that it should be Wales' call ......

Maybe the away team should have the call on whether they want to do the meet the president red carpet nonsense that goes on at the Aviva prior to every game ......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

The roof is not a huge issue for me ..... but I agree with Gatland when he says that it should be Wales' call ......

Maybe the away team should have the call on whether they want to do the meet the president red carpet nonsense that goes on at the Aviva prior to every game ......
    I dont think Wales should have call. Think away team should make decision as they dont use venue all the time and red carpet "nonsense" is at a lot more than games in Aviva

I dont think Wales should have call. Think away team should make decision as they dont use venue all the time and red carpet "nonsense" is at a lot more than games in Aviva
    .... only in Scotland if my memory serves me ..... nowhere else.

Home advantage is just that ....a test against NZ in Dunedin is indoors these days.

.... only in Scotland if my memory serves me ..... nowhere else.

Home advantage is just that ....a test against NZ in Dunedin is indoors these days.

Game shouldn't be played under Welsh terms.

..... that is more like it :)

The English turned up and would have been more hated than that of the Scots and Welsh. Hopefully England win the 6 nations. A fine team playing super rugby and really should have beaten Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

how come england always get last bite of the cherry? their match is always last in the championship

*correct me if i'm wrong

• Advertisement

The English turned up and would have been more hated than that of the Scots and Welsh. Hopefully England win the 6 nations. A fine team playing super rugby and really should have beaten Wales.

on yer bike matey!:D

but in fairness England do have a powerful team, but imo lack experience in key areas. no doubt they will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future.
    i would say they may win it next year, or most likely 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

how come england always get last bite of the cherry? their match is always last in the championship

*correct me if i'm wrong
    4 of last 5 but was france with last game regularly before them and Wales before them. Just happens in phases i think

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

I suppose the days of common courtesy is beyond some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

The roof doesn't matter, nor should it. If we are dependent on the roof being open or shut, it's all the one.

It's just fodder for the ever increasingly tedious Irish media.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

tototoe wrote: »
    The roof doesn't matter, nor should it. If we are dependent on the roof being open or shut, it's all the one.

It's just fodder for the ever increasingly tedious Irish media.

It's more the Welsh media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

It's more the Welsh media.

Our lot are up there.

It shouldn't even be a discussion . We are either good enough to beat Wales or we are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭Buer

but in fairness England do have a powerful team, but imo lack experience in key areas.

They do? They've a healthy amount of experience throughout their team from what I see. Least capped player in their back line is Henry Slade with 21. Two vastly experienced halfbacks and locks with healthy experience at hooker and No. 8 for the spine of their side.

The forwards are a little less experienced at test level tomorrow but that is partly due to injuries and someone like Moon that is starting due to those injuries have been around for years at club level.

Tom Curry is the only guy I look at who is very inexperienced overall in top tier rugby and he hasn't been found wanting at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

tototoe wrote: »
    Our lot are up there.

It shouldn't even be a discussion . We are either good enough to beat Wales or we are not.

Nope, this is an utterly facile line of argument. Sport at the highest levels is about tiny increments of improvement. Wales closing the roof but heavily watering the pitch is no different to demanding the roof be open.

Ultimately if Wales constructed a stadium with a fixed closed roof I imagine it wouldn't be an issue. But they do not get to pick and choose when to have it open or closed based on their and their opponents strengths.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I wonder will the Italians beat the French

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I wonder will the Italians beat the French

Drico said if the Italians play like they did against, he'd expect them to beat the French. Would love to see it for Conor O'Shea's benefit.

Advertisement