Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder house

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

D3V!L wrote: »
    Yes there is a stark contrast.

Obviously not to everyone. Death is death. How "savage"was this murder anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

OP what are th details of the murder that happened in the house

Link it on there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Obviously not to everyone. Death is death. How "savage"was this murder anyway.

Extremely !!

I'm not posting details of it as itll include the address of the property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

L1011 wrote: »
    Large detached house in North county Dublin? Maybe not as the EA ads instructed people to research the history of that one.

You won't be able to sell the house easily for decades. That is the biggest problem really. Eventually it ceases to be an issue but it'll hang around and depress the value in to the medium term. May be impossible to get a mortgage in the medium term either

Why would it impact ability to get a mortgage??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

368100 wrote: »

Very good point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

The only reason that would put me off buying would be that the property might be more difficult to sell. Though you could probably get a discount on the purchase price so, swings and roundabouts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

As a last resort, bring a dictaphone (other more specific environmental equipment might also be handy),
    when viewing any murder-house with view to purchase.

At worst you might get some funny looks from the Estate Agent, when you announce intentions to re-model the place, dictaphone raised in hand.

Either result:
    No feedback: Good (no issues with buying)
    Positive feedback: Good (buy somewhere else).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I'm not sure why people keep referring to the normal death of people in their beds etc, from old age or sickness or whatever, to the savage and violent murder the OP was referring to.

A world of a difference.

I'd say that there are a lot of older houses where things that would nowadays be considered as child abuse and marital rape took place on weekly basis; but people live in those houses today, happy and oblivious.

The only difference being that murders always make the newspapers, whereas spousal abuse, child abuse, or suicide would not.

OP - if you visit the house, you will probably know yourself already if it is likely to prey on your mind or not. If it doesn't, and you manage to negotiate a discount on the purchase price, I would say to go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I wouldn't care if the previous owner had died in her bed aged 86. I would absolutely care if the previous owner was stabbed to death by her husband in the kitchen.

I guess you've never watched soneone die at home in pain from cancer where no account of morphine can ease it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I would not like to live in such a house. I grew up looking at a house where a fella murdered his family and I think of it still every single time I look at the house even after over 30 years. Likewise I have lived in a house where someone committed suicide and I thought of it every day multiple times a day. Lots of people will feel the same so if you intend to sell the house in the future I think it is an additional risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Id play it up to the estate agent so much to try get a price drop, claim that 50k was the amount needed to truly put me at ease about it.

In reality though id live in a house with graveyards front and back, multiple murders and built on a fairy ring and cursed by gypsies no bother.....If I never had to sell it.

At the end of the day we are the country that added a digit to registration plates to avoid the number 13.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

D3V!L wrote: »
    Extremely !!

I'm not posting details of it as itll include the address of the property.

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Would the house be around the Naul??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Would the house be around the Naul??

That was levelled

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

In the UK several properties where grisly murders were found to have been committed were purposely demolished to stop goulish style interest. A few famous murder properties which had difficulties being sold were eventually sold at less than the asking price. Others were sold at market prices.

One field of thought suggests that negative energy (for example) where an aura of a violent event stays in an area afterwards - much like the way you can sense that a row has taken place in a room you've just stepped into. Supposedly akin to energy being neither created or destroyed but instead recorded in our own space time continuum.

Would I chose to live in the Best's house for example ? No.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Because of the fact that it's difficult to sell. Lending decisions are not made solely on numbers, there is a human element involved in checking and there is a very high chance of a refusal if the bank believe the security (the house) is not worth it.

begbysback wrote: »
    Statistically it’s safer to buy a house where there has been a violent murder, as your chances of being murdered in your own house are greater then that of winning the lottery, the chances of that occurring twice in the same house would be greater than the same person winning the lottery twice.

If I were selling, I would ask for extra money given the statistics.

lol

I guess we found the estate agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭appledrop

Definitely wouldn't buy it. You might be ok living in it but if you ever had to sell it a lot of people will not buy a house that someone was murdered in.

Because of the fact that it's difficult to sell. Lending decisions are not made solely on numbers, there is a human element involved in checking and there is a very high chance of a refusal if the bank believe the security (the house) is not worth it.

I dont think that would happen based purely in history. Decline reason wouldnt be legisimate and could be reported to ombudsman. Obviously theyll only lend against what its currently worth but they would lend in my experience

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I dont think that would happen based purely in history. Decline reason wouldnt be legisimate and could be reported to ombudsman. Obviously theyll only lend against what its currently worth but they would lend in my experience

"We do not believe the property can be resold for that value" is not an illegitimate reason for refusal

You couldn't borrow against 1 bed apartments for quite some time a few years ago due to concerns about resaleability - exactly the same concern.

• Advertisement

"We do not believe the property can be resold for that value" is not an illegitimate reason for refusal

You couldn't borrow against 1 bed apartments for quite some time a few years ago due to concerns about resaleability - exactly the same concern.

That's a completely different scenario. As long as the value is reflected properly it shouldnt be declined. Anyways I'll agree to disagree, only giving my opinion having worked in 2 mortage credit departments in main banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The house I'm living in now was built around 1760. I have the deeds.
    At one stage 3 families shared it on different floors.
    Loads of people were born in it and loads died in it too. I don't know if any died violently.
    I have never had an eerie feeling in it. As yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

My friend at one point during the Celtic tiger owned 5 or 6 houses around the town rented out (one of them in my estate) and ran 2 or 3 pubs.
    One night the tenants in the house in this estate had a mad drink/drugs party and one of the tenants died in the bathroom.
    About a week later another housemate hung himself from the bannisters. The landlord (my friend) redecorated and moved back in himself because no one would rent it from him after that. It didn’t bother him one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I wonder how a house would sell if it was owned by a murderer but no murder took place there. Did the house in Foxrock ever come on the market? I believe it was a bit of an attraction after the trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,761 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Loads of people were born in it and loads died in it too. I don't know if any died violently.

Not exactly a fair comparison.

Let's say you are the op.

And let's say you had a newspaper article from 1990 of an entire family having been murdered in the kitchen.

Now honestly do you think you'd feel different given the knowledge. Or will you pretend knowing that event occurred everytime you walked into the kitchen wouldn't have an impact.

Because the op is fully aware of the details of a violent death associated with the house. You are not. Two massively different things

• Registered Users Posts: 33,761 ✭✭✭✭listermint

splinter65 wrote: »
    My friend at one point during the Celtic tiger owned 5 or 6 houses around the town rented out (one of them in my estate) and ran 2 or 3 pubs.
    One night the tenants in the house in this estate had a mad drink/drugs party and one of the tenants died in the bathroom.
    About a week later another housemate hung himself from the bannisters. The landlord (my friend) redecorated and moved back in himself because no one would rent it from him after that. It didn’t bother him one bit.

No one would rent it from him....

He was living in it because of the financial impact to him. Of course it wouldn't bother him.

Terrible example of something not bothering people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

OP, there are two elements here. Obviously you have no compunctions about living in this house and that's fine, I'd probably feel the same, I don't believe in ghosts or bad spirits etc.

BUT, the neighbours will always look on you as the one that lives in THAT house and that would bother me.

Also, resale value will definitely be less.

It's up to you but please don't think that using it as a bargaining tool is going to work out to your advantage because it probably won't in the long run.

At best your neighbours will always think you're a weirdo and at worst you won't be able to sell it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

I'd say plenty of houses had people killed or buried on the grounds at some stage. Maybe not recently, but I suppose if you don't know it can't hurt.

There's an estate near me built on an old battlefield and no one's ever thought twice, and sure most towns have been sieged and plundered at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bren_C

OP is this in D24?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

At one rental I lived in, the landlord showed me a simple wooden chair. "Old Mr x died in that chair. They found him days later sitting on it, and the amazing thing was HE DID NOT FALL OFF!"

The chair had become an object of reverence and I was expected to cherish it.

Advertisement