Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

khaldrogo wrote: »
    'You and Me'

An educational kids program with puppets on BBC2 in the early 80s.

Anyone?
    "You and me,me and you. Lots and lots of things to do..lots and lots of things to see! Me and you,you and me"!

That took me right back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

I can't remember much about the series itself, might have only seen a couple of episodes but I'll never forget the opening sequence.

That's it! Freaked me out but had to watch it!

sweetie wrote:
    Chocky and the sequel Chocky's children, I mentioned it above.

Missed that sorry. Never seen Chockys children

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Mysterious Cities of Gold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

That took me right back!

That's what we had for entertainment back in the 80s!!!! Kids don't know how lucky they are these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

branie2 wrote:
    The Mysterious Cities of Gold

That the cartoon with the golden bird plane thing?

khaldrogo wrote: »
    That the cartoon with the golden bird plane thing?

Yes, it is

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

I think there should be an RTE archive channel.
    Year's ago the programme s were more educational, informative and interesting.

Radharc, to the water's and the wild, and many more.

The blackbird and the bell was great too.

If RTE deleted their archive's shame on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I’m sure they taped over a lot of their old programmes, tape was prohibitively expensive back in the day I believe. Bbc did the same, others too I’m sure. I read somewhere where the bbc got a lot of old footage from people who had recorded it at the time and kept it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Airwolf (although probably many remember it)
    The Girl from Tomorrow (Aussie I believe)
    Star Trek Original (animated) Series (with the main voice actors)
    Challenge Annika
    Shelly (Brit sitcom)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Garda Patrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Missed that sorry. Never seen Chockys children

no worries, I've just checked and there was a third series, Chocky's challenge.
    All three available on dvd. I also cam across a bbc show I remember liking called Moondial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Choc a Bloc - Kids programme that involved sticking novelty size cassette tapes into a wall. I can't remember what happened after that. Some kind of activity. I think there were little jeeps and carts too.

Tim Tyler - the boy who couldn't laugh. Badly dubbed German series about a boy who sold his laugh to a Baron for cash.

Has anyone mentioned the Moomins? Was in Finland a while back and they are everywhere there still. Moomins shops and souvenirs all over the place

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Has anyone mentioned the Moomins? Was in Finland a while back and they are everywhere there still. Moomins shops and souvenirs all over the place

I thought they were well known though. Used to love them so much I even went to the Moomin museum in Tampere, it's a lovely little spot!

Just thinking last night, The Silver Brumby was another Australian import that I used to love. About this wild horse who had to escape from man all the time, plus fight the Brolga, a rival stallion who killed his father, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

the littlest hobo! - every stop i make, i make a new friend, cant stay for long, just turn around and i'm gone again

Children of the stones, another eerie bbc childrens series.

Portland Bill
    Cockleshell bay
    Chish and Fips
    Randolly Anna

Chips - Jon and Ponch of the California Highway Patrol

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

California Dreams, mid 90s series about a garage band of high school teenagers, who played original songs and got caught up in school and beach high jinks.

Think there was some connection to the much more famous Saved By the Bell - filmed in same high school or something.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Beat The Teacher - 80s Children's BBC noughts and crosses kids v teachers studio game show

I loved this, they went through lots of different presenters but the questions were good and the gameplay was class

• Advertisement

Pajo's Junkbox

The Incredible Hulk

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Most of the ones I remember have been mentioned already, but how can we forget Pippi Longstocking (the original Swedish version with the red-haired girl) and Black Beauty?

One series that I will never forget but that nobody ever remembers seeing is "Sky".

I looooved it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I also have a vague memory of a cartoon that had a bunny that could fly by using his ears as a propeller, but I can't remember where I saw it, what age I was (I must've been very very young, though), or what cartoon it was.

Anybody remember Lord Tramp?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY5Y_9YeX4A

• Registered Users Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Hazell not Hazel
    Shelley not Shelly

Both cracking. Hazell was very entertaining. Nicholas Ball was brilliantly cast.

Shelley very cynical. In the late 80s reboot, Caroline Langrishe (hotter than a Mexican’s lunch) was a welcome addition.

Others in the gritty police procedural style:
    Special Branch
    New Scotland Yard
    Strangers
    Softly Softly Taskforce
    Hunter’s Walk
    Z-Cars
    Dixon Of Dock Green (1973 onwards)

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Subacio

SledgeHammer

A show about a trigger happy cop. His catchphrase was "trust me, I know what I'm doing".

He once said that the electric chair was "too lenient" as there's always the chance of reincarnation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Subacio wrote: »
    SledgeHammer

A show about a trigger happy cop. His catchphrase was "trust me, I know what I'm doing".

He once said that the electric chair was "too lenient" as there's always the chance of reincarnation.

ah yeah, hahaha. First time I started watching it, I thought it was a real cop show, and thought it was crap for the first few minutes. Hilarious show.

didn't he say something weird to, or about, his gun??

I actually thought it was funnier than the Leslie Nielson one. Was that called Police Story or something like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I’m sure they taped over a lot of their old programmes, tape was prohibitively expensive back in the day I believe. Bbc did the same, others too I’m sure. I read somewhere where the bbc got a lot of old footage from people who had recorded it at the time and kept it.

Literally, from discarded rubbish too, technicians and in some cases members of the public plucking tape from skips..

---

Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious Worlds (Wikipedia) ..usually dumped on a Sunday, RTE2, or Saturday, ITV/LWT/Anglo..

Intro for the first series below, only place I could find it was at the start of a Spanish dub of a full episode (these were incredibly popular at the time, hard to get that across nowadays!

Advertisement