Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Radharc, a thoughtful discussion on religious and historical matters before RTE got all woke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Anyone like Michael Bird dramas?

I have watched a bunch of them again over the last few years. All set in exotic locations. Really gripping plots and stories that still hold up today.

The Lotus Eaters - set in Crete
    Who Pays the Ferryman? - also Crete
    The Aphrodite Inheritance - Cyprus
    The Dark Side of the Sun - Rhodes
    Maelstrom - Norway

The greatest American hero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Cartroubles

Charlie Chalk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Anyone remember 'Maggie' (IMDB), quite a dour and short lived Scottish based soap on BBC?

..it was on late afternoon/early evening. After Blue Peter, before the tea time regional news. I remember the music and the main actress from the 1st series, that's about it. Based in Glasgow. Very threadbare sets and props, this was very typical early 80s soap..

2dv511f.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

God, the Devil and Bob.
    It used to be on late on some channel, was always delighted when I caught it, thought it was genius.
    Download some episodes a while back and it didn't quite live up to the memories.
    But yeh, I don't think I've ever heard it mentioned anywhere and the couple of times I've brought it up in conversation nothing but blank looks.

Victor & Hugo; cartoon about 2 French robbers, pretty sure David Jason did the voices and was made by same company as Count Duckula

The Henderson Kids

Amalgam wrote: »
    Anyone remember 'Maggie' (IMDB), quite a dour and short lived Scottish based soap on BBC?

..it was on late afternoon/early evening. After Blue Peter, before the tea time regional news. I remember the music and the main actress from the 1st series, that's about it. Based in Glasgow. Very threadbare sets and props, this was very typical early 80s soap..

Only caught one or two episodes. Maggie's dad was played by the guy who became Mr Bronson on Grange Hill. I remember reading the books in our library. The author was Joan Lingard who also wrote the Kevin & Sadie series (two teenagers from Belfast, one Catholic, the other Protestant).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

Mike & Angelo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

There was one out around 2004 I'd say that was a magazine style show that had an alternative theme to it. Remember seeing an episode or two and enjoying it at the time. It covered alternative and electronic music and other things like graffiti, urban culture and such. I think it was called Sampler but I could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Some Mothers do 'ave em. Ooh, Betty!

The 3 part mini series Napoleon and Josephine, 1987, Bill Conti theme.

First shown on RTE July 1989.

Armand Assante and Jacqueline Bisset starred.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Being an RTE sitcom this was cr@p actually but I bet not too many people remember Molloy, from 1988 or 89. Starring Jim Norton aka Bishop Brennan as the title character.

Budgie - endearing Adam Faith ducking and diving.

Ever Decreasing Circles - brilliant Richard Briers vs Peter Egan. Seriously underrated.

The Chinese Detective - a minority in the force, early 1980s. Great location footage of London's docklands. Now all developed and gone forever.

Female detectives / policewomen
    Did you prefer
    The Gentle Touch
    or
    Juliet Bravo
    ?

A Jack the Ripper 2 part series with Michael Caine as the main detective. Shown RTE mid July 1990.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Tales of the Unexpected (Wikipedia). You never forget the music.. or the woman dancing in the opening credits, quite racy.. and a bit dodgy today.

The episode, 'Royal Jelly' (YouTube) unsettled me so much as a kid, written and introduced by Roald Dahl!

The actor Timothy West played his part well in this. Jeepers Creepers.

Being an RTE sitcom this was cr@p actually but I bet not too many people remember Molloy, from 1988 or 89. Starring Jim Norton aka Bishop Brennan as the title character.

It was obnoxiously bad. Remember the prison series Inside from 1985? Full of future Fair City actors like Paddy and Charlie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Marengo wrote: »
    Dogtanian and the Muskehounds :)

I can bark the entire theme tune, and I've told many dogs about this show, but this canine younger generation just don't want to know the classics :p

Amalgam wrote: »
    Tales of the Unexpected (Wikipedia). You never forget the music.. or the woman dancing in the opening credits, quite racy.. and a bit dodgy today.

The episode, 'Royal Jelly' (YouTube) unsettled me so much as a kid, written and introduced by Roald Dahl!

The actor Timothy West played his part well in this. Jeepers Creepers.

And the lovely Susan George as the wife. She was also in another one, Lamb To The Slaughter. Kill yer husband with a leg of lamb.

A bunch were filmed with US actors. Seriously poor writing on some of them.

IMHO The Flypaper was the best (and most disturbing tale). If you have a spare 23 minutes, check it out. Alfred Burke = LEGEND

It was obnoxiously bad. Remember the prison series Inside from 1985? Full of future Fair City actors like Paddy and Charlie.

Vaguely. It looked very low budget from what I remember, had the feel of a filmed play, but a really bad one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Hart to Hart, North and South and Roots were shows that we were allowed stay up for past bedtime.

Vaguely. It looked very low budget from what I remember, had the feel of a filmed play, but a really bad one.

Completely shot on videotape - lots of blue in it. Very staged - not likeable characters.

sweetie wrote: »
    Hart to Hart, North and South and Roots were shows that we were allowed stay up for past bedtime.

Justin in North & South was brilliant. A real evil bast*rd played by David Carradine. Lovely wife - Lesley Ann Down. Teenage dreams so hard to beat etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Walter E GO

Anybody remember Head Of The Class with Billy Connolly? It was a short lived sitcom with Billy as a teacher in America.

Mention of Inside has triggered a memory of a long forgotten one off RTE drama that I think was shown around 1985/86. It was a political drama about apartheid and starred two black South African actors and was set in a prison. There was a lot of pre-publicity about it at the time. I think the two of them played multiple parts and I seem to vaguely remember prison guards being represented by either dummies or cardboard cutouts (?) Does anyone else remember this?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Loved sledge hammer when I was just a boy! Think it was on ITV on fridays at 11pm!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

A miniseries of a Tale of Two shown in 1989, marking the 200th anniversary of the start of the French Revolution

V

The alien series :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,202 ✭✭✭bobbyss

decky1 wrote:
    sorry you lost me there?

It was the title song introducing the program.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭yuridwyer

Marengo wrote: »
    A Jack the Ripper 2 part series with Michael Caine as the main detective. Shown RTE mid July 1990.

Remember it, scared the shot out of 10 year old me

Advertisement