Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Fulham fans would have said the same thing 18 months ago.

They don't say that today.

But it’s Tonys father that owns Fulham, not Tony Khan. Plus, and this might show my ignorance to the team so feel free to tell me if I’m over simplifying things, owning a team within a league where certain elements like how other teams train is out of your control is different than “owning the entire league”, which is what we have with AEW.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,479 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

But it’s Tonys father that owns Fulham, not Tony Khan. Plus, and this might show my ignorance to the team so feel free to tell me if I’m over simplifying things, owning a team within a league where certain elements like how other teams train is out of your control is different than “owning the entire league”, which is what we have with AEW.

Tony's father is also the money man behind AEW not Tony, The Khan's weren't afraid to throw money into Fulham the problem was they bought the wrong talent while throwing that money into the club, They could quiet easily do the same with AEW.

They also got better TV money off SKY and the PL than have off TNT no doubt.

AEW is now a league competing with no one?

AEW aren't competing with the WWE who own 90 to 95% of the market share of TV wrestling and major wrestling talent.

AEW for right now are competing with TNA, ROH, MLW, Lucha Underground, NJPW. Maybe in a year or two or five when they might be in a position to take 10/20% share of the WWE market then we can all talk about them challenging WWE.

Right now they are a like league of Ireland team trying to compete with the likes of Real Madrid week in week out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just wait until they decide they want to start up the KFL

Tony's father is also the money man behind AEW not Tony, The Khan's weren't afraid to throw money into Fulham the problem was they bought the wrong talent while throwing that money into the club, They could quiet easily do the same with AEW.

They also got better TV money off SKY and the PL than have off TNT no doubt.

AEW is now a league competing with no one?

AEW aren't competing with the WWE who own 90 to 95% of the market share of wrestling and wrestling talent.

AEW for right now are competing with TNA, ROH, MLW, Lucha Underground, NJPW. Maybe in a year or two or five when they might be in a position to take 10/20% share of the WWE market then we can all talk about them challenging WWE.

Right now they are a like league of Ireland team trying to compete with the likes of Real Madrid week in week out.

AEW pretty much became the number 2 promotion just by existing and having their initial roster and the Khans backing them.

They signed a TV deal with a potential reach of 90 million viewers per week on the strength of never being on TV before (Smackdown has a potential reach of 95 million at the moment).

They are the the most viable threat to WWE since WCW and they've had one PPV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

CastorTroy wrote: »

Shahid Kahn owns an NFL team so that joke makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,479 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

lawlolawl wrote: »
    AEW pretty much became the number 2 promotion just by existing and having their initial roster and the Khans backing them.

They signed a TV deal with a potential reach of 90 million viewers per week on the strength of never being on TV before (Smackdown has a potential reach of 95 million at the moment).

They are the the most viable threat to WWE since WCW and they've had one PPV.

AEW aren't even a promotion yet the are a TWO card PPV event.

TNA became the number two promotion over decade ago and it's roster was ten times better than AEW's when Panda backed them and who have as much money if not more money than the Khan's and had a TV deal with Spike and where are they now as they couldn't eat into the WWE's market share.

CastorTroy wrote: »

Vince Mc Mahon is such a carny piece of garbage that the NFL won't let him buy a team which has led to him unsuccessfully trying to make his own football league twice (i'm declaring XFL 2.0 a failure already because, really, come on).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Vince Mc Mahon is such a carny piece of garbage that the NFL won't let him buy a team which has led to him unsuccessfully trying to make his own football league twice (i'm declaring XFL 2.0 a failure already because, really, come on).

Tell us how you really feel?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

i'm declaring XFL 2.0 a failure already because, really, come on.

And you'll be right.... the XFL won't see more than 1 season, the American Alliance couldn't even last a season, either will this, again.

Despite people loving NFL there's little appetite for it outside of a NFL season...

Hell even the NFL is experiencing a decline in attendances and ratings domestically, the international market is where they're experiencing a revive.

But of course Vince thinks his venture will defy all that as he thinks he's God, Vince was a fantastic wrestling Promoter 20-30 years ago, times have changed but his business skill haven't, his ego just won't let him accept it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Moxley vs Janela announced for Fyter Fest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

We can't really compare Fulham and the Jacksonville Jaguars to AEW. Both are worth serious money on paper while AEW is worth sweet fck all.

This has awful similarities to TNA and the Carter family. What happens 5 yrs down the road when Dad gets sick of funding this thing?

I think they really need to start making money out the gate to succeed long term. They've already made a good start judging by the alleged buyrate figure for last weekend, lets hope the interest continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

We can't really compare Fulham and the Jacksonville Jaguars to AEW. Both are worth serious money on paper while AEW is worth sweet fck all.

This has awful similarities to TNA and the Carter family. What happens 5 yrs down the road when Dad gets sick of funding this thing?

I think they really need to start making money out the gate to succeed long term. They've already made a good start judging by the alleged buyrate figure for last weekend, lets hope the interest continues.

Dixie didn't have a background in sports, she was a music agent/marketing person in MPT, so at least they have that going for them

I think people need to stop seeing it as a war, if they can co-exist, which I believe should be the plan, then it'll be great for the industry

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

brianblaze wrote: »
    Dixie didn't have a background in sports, she was a music agent/marketing person in MPT, so at least they have that going for them

I think people need to stop seeing it as a war, if they can co-exist, which I believe should be the plan, then it'll be great for the industry

i think the amount of people salivating that this is wwe done as a company very strange like i fully understand if you dont like wwe and thats fine but i dont know cant we just like both if there putting on good shows.

also we really cant judge AEW until they get on tv and thats really what counts if its a good show but ratings stink they wont be around long

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

brianblaze wrote: »

That would be ideal. But they always get greedy and it's always the downfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

AEW aren't even a promotion yet the are a TWO card PPV event.

TNA became the number two promotion over decade ago and it's roster was ten times better than AEW's when Panda backed them and who have as much money if not more money than the Khan's and had a TV deal with Spike and where are they now as they couldn't eat into the WWE's market share.

WWE still had a very strong roster of bonafide stars when TNA was pushing though: HBK, Taker, Batista, Foley, Edge, Cena, Flair, HHH, Rock, Orton at his peak, Jericho etc were all on the main roster still to some extent. They have failed to build the current gen to anything like those levels. Also TNA looked and really was 1999 Nitro revisited. Hasbeens and nearly men all over the product. For every AJ Styles there was 4 Konnans. That was never going to sell to anyone but a few diehards.

In Omega and The Young Bucks, AEW are starting with the current no.1 singles wrestler in the world and the no.1 tag team in the world per PWI. WWE's stagnation has led to the rise of the indies over the past five years meaning there is a wealth of talent out there waiting to be unearthed: Ospreay, Walter, Naito, Okada etc. Well known to wrestling fans but they will be new and fresh to cable viewers on TNT. If they can strike deals for short programs for some of NJPW and ROH's top guys (given how both are usually open to allowing wrestlers work outside the promotions this is doable) and keep the balance 90/10 indie guys / ex-WWE they have a far better chance of upsetting the market than TNA ever did, imo.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    WWE still had a very strong roster of bonafide stars when TNA was pushing though: HBK, Taker, Batista, Foley, Edge, Cena, Flair, HHH, Rock, Orton at his peak, Jericho etc were all on the main roster still to some extent. They have failed to build the current gen to anything like those levels. Also TNA looked and really was 1999 Nitro revisited. Hasbeens and nearly men all over the product. For every AJ Styles there was 4 Konnans. That was never going to sell to anyone but a few diehards.

In Omega and The Young Bucks, AEW are starting with the current no.1 singles wrestler in the world and the no.1 tag team in the world per PWI. WWE's stagnation has led to the rise of the indies over the past five years meaning there is a wealth of talent out there waiting to be unearthed: Ospreay, Walter, Naito, Okada etc. Well known to wrestling fans but they will be new and fresh to cable viewers on TNT. If they can strike deals for short programs for some of NJPW and ROH's top guys (given how both are usually open to allowing wrestlers work outside the promotions this is doable) and keep the balance 90/10 indie guys / ex-WWE they have a far better chance of upsetting the market than TNA ever did, imo.

The talent swapping thing is one of the really important things about AEW.

It means that they can fill holes in their roster temporarily if people get injured/want time off/whatever rather than the WWE model of a locked down roster who are expected to work 200+ days a year.

People honestly think that any hot prospect free-agent is going to look at the two companies and pick WWE any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭showpony1

briany wrote: »
    It's not necessarily being a company man that should be a bother - many wrestlers are, and always have been - but that should be for the back. It's more the idea of wrestlers putting their promotion over instead of themselves, like that's the important thing. Like it doesn't really matter what happens so much in a given match as it matters that the overall show is a success. There's something about that which undermines the whole kayfabe of the thing.

yeah that was what my point was lol, the comment he made was on screen not "in the back." His character should be out for his own interests not whether AEW is competing with WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Bit of a random thought but did anyone else think Shawn Spears (Tye Dillinger) came off as Just A Guy? I know being thrown in to the battle royal deal isn't the best way to stand out but I hope for his sake he has more up his sleeve than being mates with Cody.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,141 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

He is just a guy though. If they put someone who was a nobody in WWE high up their card, it would make them look bad.

Goldust is a special exception with him being Cody's brother.

• Advertisement

cian68 wrote: »
    Bit of a random thought but did anyone else think Shawn Spears (Tye Dillinger) came off as Just A Guy? I know being thrown in to the battle royal deal isn't the best way to stand out but I hope for his sake he has more up his sleeve than being mates with Cody.

He is sort of a nobody though. They aren't going to make a big deal out of every single guy that ever even stepped inside a WWE ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Yeah you're right. Just wonder how many guys are going to try to leave WWE thinking they'll be a bigger star elsewhere then realise maybe there is a reason they couldn't get over

• Registered Users Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If being just a guy gets me someone like Peyton Royce, then I'll happily take the label

correction wrote: »
    That would be ideal. But they always get greedy and it's always the downfall.

WCW didn't get greedy, they got complacent, and TNA didn't get greedy, they had no leadership of any great consequence and were duped into copying a failed model

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

sorry of this has been mentioned already, but on the Gorilla Position pod today they talked about how Vince Russo reckons AEW and WWE are working together... so many lols

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

TimesArrow wrote: »
    sorry of this has been mentioned already, but on the Gorilla Position pod today they talked about how Vince Russo reckons AEW and WWE are working together... so many lols

Yea I read that elsewhere.... the headline may as well have said Russo craves attention....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

hes just one of those guys whos good but nothing special in any area and got lucky that he had a relatively stupid gimmick that got over. Wouldnt be near AEW without cody connection. I also get the feeling he has a real high opinion of himself as a great worker.

but as people said hes marrying peyton hes the winner here

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

How many chances has this fella had to 'make it'.

He's getting up there in yrs now. AEW should be focusing on younger talent.

• Advertisement

How many chances has this fella had to 'make it'.

He's getting up there in yrs now. AEW should be focusing on younger talent.

They need a few decent hands for the lower/mid card and the fans seem to like him.

I don't see much harm in keeping him around unless they overpush him or pay him too much just because he is ex WWE. That's where TNA messed up with guys like him in the past.

Advertisement